Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Alltricks Pike 29er- What Offset are they?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Has anyone ordered any of these cheap 29er Pikes from Alltricks and know what the offset is?

No offset is listed on the site, but on speaking to them Alltricks claim them to be 46mm, but Rockshox say the quoted part number (which Alltricks claim to be correct), is for a 51mm offset.

Has anyone ordered any and can tell me what exactly turned up? Obviously I can order and send back if the incorrect ones are sent, but I’d rather do without the hassle if I can avoid it.

wiggles
    Free Member

Obviously I can order and send back if the incorrect ones are sent, but I’d rather do without the hassle if I can avoid it.

So buy then from a shop where you can see them first.

granny_ring

Helpful.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

So buy then from a shop where you can see them first.

For the savings on offer, I could fly to France and see them first at Alltricks and still have money left for a weekend away riding. But thanks for the input.

bikeneil
    Free Member

For the savings on offer, I could fly to France and see them first at Alltricks and still have money left for a weekend away riding. 

Well do that then. Don’t worry about supporting a local business. Soon you may have no choice but to buy from Europe etc so you may as well get the practice in…

singlespeedstu

Ask them to send you a picture of the underside of the crown.
    The offset is stamped on there.

I’d also be interested to know the answer if you find out.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/jeA9b5]51mm offset[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

fathomer

Blimey, there’s some helpful souls on here tonight 😀

granny_ring

Useful to know that for the future Stu cheers.

sherry
    Free Member

Is it going to make massive amount of difference which offset it is? I am interested in finding this out. I was under the impression the steeper the HA the more offset the slacker would suit less. But it was pretty much down to the individual and riding they like.

I would be inclined to go for the 51mm for my Cube Stereo 68 degree HA. I would like to find out your answer from Alltricks as well!

chakaping
    Free Member

I could check tomorrow, but are you confident new ones will be the same?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Sherry- How much I notice it, who knows. But if I’m buying forks specifically for a frame designed around 51mm, I’d be stupid not to go with what it’s meant to be specced with.

Chapaking- Be useful to know, though no guarantee they are the same I guess. Thanks!

chiefgrooveguru

Is it going to make massive amount of difference which offset it is? I am interested in finding this out. I was under the impression the steeper the HA the more offset the slacker would suit less. But it was pretty much down to the individual and riding they like.

Other way around! For some reason most people think that more offset equals more stability / slower steering when it’s actually the opposite. Greater offset reduces the trail (distance between projected steering axis and centre of contact patch). My brain is too tired to work out the effect upon self-centring due to head tube rise as you turn the bars…)

Longer offset allows designers to give 29ers slacker head angles without the steering getting too heavy – both of which increases front-centre.

mattjg
    Free Member

good work SSStu.

doug if this for your Following? 😉

sherry
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru, Hmmm interesting, this article suggests the opposite. I’m not saying your wrong, its just a bit conflicting!

http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mechanic/ask-a-mechanic-29er-forks-46mm-or-51mm-offset/

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m with CGG on this one, as he says it’s counter-intuitive.

“Adding 5mm of offset to quicken the handling makes an already long wheelbase even longer.”

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

if this for your Following?

It’s for whatever I decide to get, been accumulating a few bits whenever deals come up on stuff that isn’t frame specific, all the shortlist need 51mm offset

chiefgrooveguru

chiefgrooveguru, Hmmm interesting, this article suggests the opposite. I’m not saying your wrong, its just a bit conflicting!

http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mechanic/ask-a-mechanic-29er-forks-46mm-or-51mm-offset/

That doesn’t make a lot of sense though, when you consider that 5mm of extra offset is decreasing trail by about 5% (it’s about 100mm on a slack bike) but increasing wheelbase by less than 0.5%

Sundayjumper

There’s a whole market in slacksets & offset bushes to ruin what the designer designed. Frame designers aren’t gods, and people obsess too much over having the “right” numbers.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

There’s a whole market in slacksets & offset bushes to ruin what the designer designed. Frame designers aren’t gods, and people obsess too much over having the “right” numbers.

I agree, and I’ve used them myself, but I believe the best starting point is always the designers recommended setup and then tinker from there. Plus buying some slacksets to change the ride in a particular way is quite different from buying the wrong thing just to save some cash.

aburnet8
    Free Member

I looked at the ones from Alltricks but couldn’t find any reference to that manufacturer part number anywhere else.

I’m really looking for solo air 120mm versions but haven’t seen them anywhere at a reasonable price, looks like a cheaper option to buy the 140mm versions and have them converted.

please post up if alltricks come back with a picture, need 51mm offset myself.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’m really looking for solo air 120mm versions but haven’t seen them anywhere at a reasonable price, looks like a cheaper option to buy the 140mm versions and have them converted.

The 120mm was OEM only I think, so you are really going to be hard pushed to find any setup as new. The travel change is really very straightforward and relatively cheap to do though. There’s a guide on MBR. http://www.mbr.co.uk/mountain-bike-videos/workshop/change-travel-rockshox-solo-air-fork-video-325075

chakaping
    Free Member

mine are 45mm

sorry for delay, hth

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

For those that are interested, these turned up today and according to the underside of the crown they are indeed 51mm offset.

No idea if all their stock is the same, but as I mentioned before, the manufacturer part number quoted by Alltricks matches with the spec of fork I got.

chestrockwell

The link you posted now states they’re 51mm.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

So it does! Wish it had said that before, would have saved me a thread.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Alltricks Pike 29er- What Offset are they?’ is closed to new replies.