Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Allround fun hardtail – 456 Evo (Ti)?
  • gravity-slave
    Free Member

I want a tough but light hardtail for a bit of everything with a focus on fun – sideways, wheels off ground, manuals etc from bmx track to DH with the odd trail centre, as well as towing a kids trailer, rather than miles.

Currently got a Commencal Absolut 4X but it’s too 4X/DJ specific so no good for trail centre/trail use – looking for more of an all rounder. I’ve got a Nukeproof Mega as my ‘xc’ bike for longer rides so emphasis in a play bike.

Was looking at the usual suspects and the 456 Evo Ti caught my eye – looks pretty good – like the angles, similar slack concept to the Mega, weight is great. Would be built with Revelations (prob at 130mm), Flow rims, 1×10 and a dropper post.

Will the Evo Ti fit the bill for above riding?

I’m 6 foot but want a compact frame for chuckable fun. Would a 16″ be far too small? Effective top tube is 2mm shorter than my large Mega and I’d go for a 55mm stem, 50 on the Mega so I reckon I’d get away with it.

Thoughts?

Northwind

It ought to… I love my Ragley Ti for the same job mind.

jonnyrockymountain

Here’s my 16″ if your near Huddersfield you can have a blast on mine

nosedive
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice orange P7 that would fit your bill, would swap it for a downhill bike, it has a particularly nice set of bulb \ 521 wheels on it

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Well, fancy that, I’ve got a nice DH bike that will probably be going to make room for this 🙂

On 521’s even! Not bulbs though, but King front if that’s any good!

Cheers jonny, great offer, I’m Sheffield but short on time at the moment so might be difficult to meet up. Looks good – how stiff is the frame?

Duffer
    Free Member

I’m 6 foot but want a compact frame for chuckable fun. Would a 16″ be far too small?

I’d suggest it’ll be miles too small.

I’m 5’11” and ride an 18″ 456. Realistically i’d say i’m on the borderline for needing a 20″, as i’ve got loads of seatpost showing. 18″ is thoroughly recommended!

jonnyrockymountain

Best bike I have ever ridden.
    Stiff and fexible, hard to explain just feels right you have to try one!

jairaj

I’m 6 foot but want a compact frame for chuckable fun. Would a 16″ be far too small?

Depends on how chuckable you want it? On One usually have long top tubes so you might get away with.

I’m 5’10” and used to have a 18″ c456 with 50mm stem and felt it was just right for the bit of every thing I do on it from long xc rides to DH tracks.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Had a roll on an 18″ tonight. Good size for long rides for me but way too big for the type of riding I want to do on it. 16″ is only 11mm shorter tt, but need the ability to drop the seat really low. Still pondering.

jairaj

My C456 has an uninterrupted seat tube so you can drop the seat the whole length if you want. I *think* that’s the same for all 456 frames but you’d need to check.

messiah
    Free Member

The pic posted above is the older Van-Nic 456 and is not an EVO. This is lougher(on here)’s 456 EVO Ti

Thread here.

and another useful thread

On-Ones sizing is a bit odd for these. The 18″ is 11mm longer in the top tube but the seattube is a whopping 50mm longer… the 16″ has quite a long top tube for a 16″ and hence is probably good for someone up to 6ft… I’m 5’11-1/2″ and the 16″ would be my choice as the top tube is the correct length for me.

I think the 16″ frames look good but the 18″ and up look pants due to the long seattube and nearly horizontal top tube (opinions vary etc).

I’m tempted… but need to sort some other stuff first.

nimo
    Free Member

I have got a brand new, still in original packaging stanton slackline frame that I think I need to sell. It is the grey one in a 16 ” I havn’t advertised it yet but can let it go for 350. It has never been out of the box and was new in Feb. That is over 100 pounds off the new price. Let me know if it is of any interest. Cheers. Nimo1972@googlemail.com

gravity-slave
    Free Member

messiah – that was my concern, the seat tube on the 18 too long to get my saddle out of the way for proper fun! Not planning on big rides but fancy something nice for ragging.

Stanton top tube not long enough, 27.2 so no dropper so it’s not on my shortlist.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Allround fun hardtail – 456 Evo (Ti)?’ is closed to new replies.