Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alloy wheel refurbs…. Should I be annoyed?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

…that the paint is bubbling again just 12 months after they were completely stripped and refinished (diamond cut parts actually only lasted 6 months before they started failing)?

jamj1974

Yes

CountZero

They’re alloy, they will corrode when salt is put down, it doesn’t take much for salty water to get under any lacquer that might be put over diamond-cut finishes, because it just won’t stick well to the metal without a self-etching primer, which defeats the object.
    The actual painted areas, that’s different, I would expect that to last a lot longer.

mattyfez

I’d say so unless you’ve curbed them/otherwise damaged them in the meantime leading to premature degradation of the finish.

Edit, as count zero said, if the laquer finish is damaged, via curbing or stone chips or whatever, then they will deteriorate.

Or they may have just done a poor quality refurbishment, it’s hard to say without more information.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Diamond cut part (this was taken in January, six months after it was done…. it’s much worse now)

You can actually see the paint around the valve stem starting to go as well.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Check the T&Cs for the company that refurbed them. Most only offer 12 mths. Diamond cut wheels are poop for longevity. Worth calling – they may offer a good will gesture

honeybadgerx

Out of curiosity, what’s the going gets rate for this?

csb

Mine are peeling. Is it just cosmetic or does it weaken the wheel somehow?

ampthill

It’s shame we can’t all learn to love steel

But to answer the question. Yes I’d be annoyed. I have 12 year old car about to be scrapped outside. The wheels are dirty but not corroded

garage-dweller

A good refurb should do better than that in my very limited experience.

We had one of our cars done (not diamond cut just regular alloys) and five years later when we got rid of it you still couldn’t see any real degradation (and they were awful before it was done).

That was a blast, serious fill, and spray or powder coat.

When my diamond cut ones need doing (hopefully a few years off yet but they’re wearing a couple of scrapes that predate my ownership of the car) I’ll be seeing if I it’s worth getting a full powder coat as I just can’t see how you can restore that surface well.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I was advised to streer clear of diamond cut and laquer when looking to get my smax wheels done last year. The bloke said it never lasts and he’s tried several companies that do it. He advised paint if you want a cheap job, powder coat if you want a proper job. Had powder coat done on wheels on a previous golf and it was great and would have had the smax wheels powder coated if I ‘tried sell it.

Edit: I was looking at £40 for paint, £80 a wheel for powder coat and anywhere between £80 to £120 a wheel for diamond cut and laquer depending on the state of the wheel and how much dressing and machining was needed. That was on 17″ wheels.

19ninety
    Free Member

PITA, I had some done and they corroded on the spoke edges after a few months, the after market finishes dont seem to be as good as the factory ones. If I had a car with diamond cut wheels again that “had” to be refinished I’d get them done in semi chrome effect paint … or just leave em looking all shabby and save some £££’s for bike bits 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alloy wheel refurbs…. Should I be annoyed?’ is closed to new replies.