Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Allen Carr's Easyway – your success stories please
  • reluctantlondoner

Has anyone used the Allen Carr way to give up any vices?

Does it work – I’m tempted, but put off by the cost of a programme, although the book might be a good plan.

Just wondering if it’s legit, or a scam with slick marketing?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Just used the book.
    It’s simple brainwashing in that you read it until you’re convinced by the message. The failures simply haven’t read the book enough. How many times is enough I hear you ask. I dunno.
    There are lots of stories in the book and you’ll relate to a few of them. These then become the driving force for quitting.
    It’s not rocket science, it’s not a scam and it’s well worth a few quid for the book.
    Good luck.

MoreCashThanDash

Come on, we want to know which of your vices you want to give up!

reluctantlondoner

Coke and hookers, naturally 😉

doris5000

wife did it with the book. Was initially put off because it felt like brainwashing, and she didn’t really like that.

Then a month or 2 later she thought sod it, read the book, and hasn’t smoked since (also recommends the book to others). So yeah it seems to work!

thecroust
    Free Member

The first book didn’t work for me, the second one did nearly 2 years later. It’s called The only way to stop smoking permanently. I think the fact that he had had 10 years to reflect on his failures in the second one helped.
    However I had retained a lot of the thinking from the first one, and the second time round I was much more determined to stop. The self-loathing had reached levels I could no longer ignore.
    I kicked weed and baccy simultaneously after 22 years of being pretty much constantly stoned.
    Yeah it felt like brainwashing (but how can that be any worse than any other advertising? At least the agenda here will genuinely benefit you) but if there’s anything I’ve ever been happy to be brainwashed about it’s got to be stopping smoking.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I used it to give up weed and cigs, I only got half way through the book before successfully stopping, Six weeks of insomnia and night terrors and six years later I haven’t smoked a bean. In some circles I was known as the bong master so that was quite an achievement, inspired quite a few others to quit to which was nice.

sweepy
    Free Member

I read the first few pages of the book, thought he made a few good points but didn’t go further as I had the gist. Gave up smoking first attempt with no problems or cravings

bigsur
    Free Member

I gave up smoking in 2003 using the book after 20 a day for 20 odd years.

What it made me realise is that it’s all about the addiction. That’s it. There was nothing else, the only reason I smoked was because of the nicotine addiction. I didn’t want to smoke, I needed to smoke.

Once you accept that and understand that the cravings can be very easy to recognise and ignore it’s pretty easy to stop.

First few days were odd but if I was tempted I just reread the parts of the book that I’d found useful.

Also found as I now ‘understood’ the addiction bit that I didn’t yearn to be a smoker anymore. I was just glad to be free of it.

Not sure it’ll work with coke and hookers though! 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Possibly the most boring book ever written. If you can finish it you have the willpower for anything!

reluctantlondoner

This sounds encouraging 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

The book made me want to give up reading.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Del

^ honestly, you’re the first person to ever make that joke. 😉

i used it to stop smoking.
    as above, it’s a bit ‘american’ in style, and i found it initially off-putting, but thought ‘sod it, i do actually want to stop, so if this helps…’
    you’ve nothing to loose apart from about the price of a packet of 20. buying the book can be seen as taking the first step. read it, let it do it’s thing.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Read the book 20 yrs ago and haven’t smoked since.
    Boring as hell but amazing result.
    If you really want to give up,it should work.
    The book was sent around at work and 7 people i know of,managed to stop,took one person 3 attempts,reading the book.

Stoner
    Free Member

gave up using the book, 12 yrs ago for my wedding.
    Passed the book on to Dad and it worked for him too.

Mostly requires suspension of cynicism, almost a conscious will to be duped by fatuous bollox. However, there were some really useful little tenets to take away and use as reminders when urges occurred.

wallop

The technical term for this type of brainwashing is known as neuro linguistic programming, or NLP. It was £4 and I stopped smoking after reading it. That was nearly five years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I’ve spoken to a couple of people since who couldn’t get past the first few pages and I couldn’t help but wonder if they were actually ready to give up smoking yet.

nostoc
    Free Member

A friend gave me the book. Two years later I read it and gave up after smoking nearly twenty years. Maybe I really wanted to give up so that’s why I read the book.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Allen Carr's Easyway – your success stories please’ is closed to new replies.