Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Allan key skewers
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Just had a set of the above delivered to put on my pub-bike, in the probably vain hope that my wheels are less likely to get nicked.

Just noticed some small print on the packet which, "PROHIBITS skewer use in conjunction with front disk brakes….. Stopping force can cause bicycle fork dropout if safety skeres are not in use…."

Is this right? Or are they just covering their @rses?

Are allan key skewers more likely to work loose than QR skewers?

atlaz
    Free Member

Dunno. I got some second hand Halo ones for the bike for Mrs Atlaz. She's not likely to shake them loose in a year of riding so I wasn't overly concerned. They do seem a little more prone to loosening but I suspect that's down to me not being hard enough tightening them.

Olly
    Free Member

ive been using them for aaages.
    you can do them up much tighter than QRs

i suppose, if QRs are use properly, the strain forces actually tightens them, as you SHOULD be putting the cam over the "hump"
    (if that makes any sense)

allen ones dont have that.

ive had no problems, keep and eye on them if your worried :s

Tim
    Free Member

I think its just an arese covering thing in case you dont do them up tight enough

i suppose, if QRs are use properly, the strain forces actually tightens them, as you SHOULD be putting the cam over the "hump"
    (if that makes any sense)

true, but only for some types of skewer – lots of aftermarket ones dont use an 'overcam' design like shimano use, so they can only get looser.

rickk

Had them on my bike for a long time – no problems yet with this.
    Probably easy to overtighten if any thing.

Tim
    Free Member

They do grind away at the dropouts if your not careful (as QRs dont actually rotate)

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers chaps – these are Halo ones and have a tab which grabs the bottom of the dropout to stop rotation, in theory…..

Feel a bit happier about fitting them now 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Allan key skewers’ is closed to new replies.