Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • All weather boot recommendations ( but mostly wet and rocky)
  • tomaso
    Free Member

After 4-5 years my old Shimano MT91s are dying. They have been great for riding, protection and Lakeland hike a bike. They have some level of waterproofing but not like a shoe with a cuff. They can be worn all year round and have decent protection.

I am pondering

# the new Shimano XM9 boot
    # Lake MX145
    # Specialized Defroster

Any other recommendations and real world experience?

dovebiker

Mavic Scree / Crossmark SL or whatever they’ve changed their name too – Mavic soles is best for grip in hike-a-bike situations IME. Avoid anything with a hard plastic sole on wet rock. Mine are now heading into their 4th winter and apart from the useless ankle strap which is too short, are holding up well.

stevied
    Free Member

Mavic Scree/H20 here too. Really good boots, only flaw is that the top is a bit open. Great grip and comfort when walking too.

ton

for lakes riding, the one most like a walking boot………so the shimano is ideal.
    disco slipper mean sudden death on the wet rocky stuff.

Del

beware that the shimano is really rather narrow compared to the MT91.
    mavics tend to be on the narrow side too, FWIH.
    the lakes are very likely to be available in a fit that will suit anyone, they have a good fitting guide on their site, but i can’t comment on that model. if you get a pair please post back as i am looking at them to replace my mt91. i have a pair of 303s for when it gets really cold and they are fantastically made.

crewlie

I’ve got the XM9s and they’ve been very good so far ( had them since May). Very comfortable, I’ve used them for hillwalking without the bike to see how they coped and they were very good…and I’ve got silly wide feet. They replaced some defrosters which were fine in rain, but hike a bike in boggy ground just let water straight in. I’ve used them clipped in and with flats.
    Not sure how warm they will be, but I should have room for thick socks, so hopefully they will cope with winter ok.

nedrapier

I’m looking at the mavics. Salomon shoes fit me well, and mavics borrow a lot of the same features: contragrip soles, quick lace things etc. And lasts too, I’m hoping. Look like they’re well thought out, and have plenty of fans.

But I’ll probably stick with flats!

tomaso
    Free Member

I find Mavic shoes too narrow. I was keen but whenever I try them on they just aren’t comfy. Do they do them in a wide fitting?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘All weather boot recommendations ( but mostly wet and rocky)’ is closed to new replies.