Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • All this driving all over the country at Christmas
  • geoffj

Is it not all a little bit indulgent and stupid, given the conditions we are experiencing?

How much grand parent nagging / moaning / bribing is going on?

Just curious like?

* and yes, I have young kids and live at tother end of the country from my folks, but wont be seeing them over Christmas.

Jamie
    Free Member

Is it not all a little bit indulgent and stupid, given the conditions we are experiencing?

Yes. Your a genius. Have a cookie.

geoffj

Fankyou

Stoner
    Free Member

Ignore Jamie geoff. He’s so sour and bitter that he’ll be eating his Bernard Manning Turkey Ham Roast-for-One on his own again this year.

A less civil forumite there isnt.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

A less civil forumite there isnt

*Waves*

lister

To be fair though, the driving conditions in a ‘normal’ UK winter are absolutely fine.
    I often go to my folks with the kids at Christmas with no bothers (Pembroke to Rothbury) cos it’s usually just a bit wet and windy.

So that’s still our current plan, but it’ll change if necessary…do you not go anywhere in the winter cos it’s a ‘stooopind idea’ ??? 😉

rondo101
    Free Member

I’m supposed to be travelling to Liverpool for xmas (I live in Bristol). In the wife’s (RWD) MX5. If the road conditions are remotely bad by xmas eve, I won’t be going anywhere!

Taff
    Free Member

I’ll be doing general driving. Driven in worse than this and am pretty well prepared for the elements. It’s the people who haven’t got a clue how to drive in the snow who should stay at home. Granted like you I’m not going to be doing the 300mile trip to see the family back in Wales but did 130 over the weekend seeing friends without any issues at all.

The snow isn’t too much my dirving force for not really wantimng to move though… it’s Christmas so I want to relax at home and get some riding in.

Bit cross at one of my colleagues who has left Pompey to travel up past Brum for a Christams lunch! Think that’s a bit foolhardy.

PS. If the mrs wants to go shopping… ‘too dangerous love’

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’m hoping that my in laws will phone up and tell us to stay at home but at the moment they are phoning up every day to say “do you think you’ll make it?” or “maybe you should come down a day earlier”. Maybe they think if we leave a day earlier we’ll still make it down by Christmas day even if we do have spend the night in the car stuck on the M5/M6. Feel free to ignore me whilst I do my best Scrooge impression.

carbon337
    Free Member

Lister, we got quite a beasting up here yesterday – not sure about Rothbury though as we are on the coast. The forecast for Thursday and Friday looked very interesting.

Taff – maybe you are a good driver and have a super 4×4 but if there are traffic jams like we had in NE yesterday your going nowhere. a 4×4 wont do you any use when your in a jam behind jackknifed lorries.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I was told a couple of weeks back that it was snowy up north and the roads were unpassable. I drove up to Northumberland in my pick up in case 4×4 was needed. A bit of ice in one carpark and some pretty white fields.

It is all a myth made up by the whining northerners so they can tell us how grim it is up north.

geoffj

do you not go anywhere in the winter cos it’s a ‘stooopind idea’ ???

Of course, but I don’t drag the wife and kids on 250 mile jaunts in sub-zero conditions to placate either my parents or the inlaws.

ourmaninthenorth

It’s less the driving conditions (Christmas is still several days away), more the fact that, in spite of us becoming parents, we’re still travelling to see others.

I’ve calculated that I’ll spend a max of three days at home over the 10 day holiday period. Hardly relaxing….

Jamie
    Free Member

Fankyou

Ohh chocolate chip!

Stoner:

Ignore Jamie geoff. He’s so sour and bitter that he’ll be eating his Bernard Manning Turkey Ham Roast-for-One on his own again this year.

Oh do get over yourself.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

WCA – I think you’re right! All the Northerners on here bleat on about how bad it is, but do thay say anything about it on the national news?? Do they??? No! They don’t!!! Hence it must be lies.

geoffj

OMIN hits nail on head – as usual.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I understand that there is a land north of the M4 but it is full of savages and dragons. Don’t go outside of the M25 or north of the M4 unless your JOURNEY IS ESSENTIAL!!

geoffj

It’s less the driving conditions (Christmas is still several days away), more the fact that, in spite of us becoming parents, we’re still travelling to see others.

I’ve calculated that I’ll spend a max of three days at home over the 10 day holiday period. Hardly relaxing….

The first Christmas we had Junior No. 1, we went to Fuertavenura rather than face the Christmas drive-a-thon.

It seemed to set a precedent, and it is no longer assumed that we will be travelling anywhere.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Of course, but I don’t drag the wife and kids on 250 mile jaunts in sub-zero conditions to placate either my parents or the inlaws.

I usually drop the wife and kids off at the airport and they’ll fly down to the parents. I drive there and pick them up at the other end, its a great excuse to get some solo miles on my own in the Vitara. Thats a good enough Xmas present for me.

ourmaninthenorth

OMIN hits nail on head – as usual.

I aim to please…. 😀

djglover
    Free Member

I have discovered that the threshold for boredom for twin two year olds in a car is just under 3 hours, with 50% of that taken up by sleep. Given that my folks live 4.5 hours away I wouldn’t be traveling even if the weather was OK. Even a small risk of being trapped in the car with them for 17 hours doesn’t bear thinking about

neil853
    Free Member

Christmas for me is all about seeing my family that i/we struggle to see throughout the year, its the one time of year where we all make a considerable effort to see each other. There’s limits of course but it takes a lot for any of us not to make it.

uplink
    Free Member

Well my other halves folks have just arrived from Tuscany

I’m guessing her old man didn’t think much of our ice cream last time he was here – he’s brought his own machine 😀

The house in now full of unintelligible noise & arm waving & they appears to be able to keep this up indefinitely without any need to come up for air

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Stoner.

You are stupids, take it somewhere else.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

davidtaylforth … will you be stopping on the way to do a few cuts, perms and blow drys? 😉

sweepy
    Free Member

yes, if your passing aviemore I could do with my highlights done 😀

sweepy
    Free Member

On the other hand, if I was doing that drive, in that jeep, id get some Biggles goggles and a trapper hat and take the top down.
    You could prob borrow the goggles of that CFH bloke

yossarian
    Free Member

Really? He seems sound enough from what I can recall. Pretty funny as well.

Flaperon

Driving from Manchester to Devon on the 23rd and back again on the 25th. Indulgent? Possibly. Do I care? Not a jot.

I echo what neil853 said.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I’ve had an Email from my Ex to ask if I’m still planning to pick up the kids on Wednesday despite the weather conditions (ie. they’re coming to me for 10 days for Xmas hols together) 🙄

I’ve got a 4WD with all terrain tyres – FFS! It would take a whiteout blizzard of arctic proportions and a herd of friggin wild horses, plus some form of small nuclear explosion to stop me picking them up 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

Really? He seems sound enough from what I can recall. Pretty funny as well.

mleh. Maybe my sarcasm meter needs re-tuning but I read many of his posts as being rather unpleasant. Im sure he and I will both survive.

yossarian
    Free Member

Could be paranoia?

coffeeking
    Free Member

No, it’s a piece of cake to drive safely and easily in this weather, millions do every day. Just because there’s a few that can’t cope doesn’t mean everyone else should feel stupid for wanting to. Seriously, you get a light dusting and everyone falls apart, it’s a joke, I’m almost embarrassed to be British.

As for indulgent – of course, if you don’t want to be indulgent don’t have xmas, never visit friends and stay locked indoors.

As with neil above.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

On a positive note, the missus and kids were stuck away at her parents last night and it looks like tonight as well. First decent nights sleep i’ve had for 10 months!

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe my sarcasm meter needs re-tuning

No, I’d say it’s working fine.

Davidtaylforth – With the top down I hope.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It seemed to set a precedent, and it is no longer assumed that we will be travelling anywhere.

Congratulations, you’ve managed to avoid another chance to have a nice time with the family… 🙂

valleydaddy
    Free Member

we’re supposed to be going from Aberdare to North of Aberdeen on Boxing day 😯

550 miles door to , 8 1/2 hrs on a good run.

Got in-laws saying roads are fine up with them but we’ve had nearly 2ft in past couple of days, so bad that I wouldn’t risk driving to my local shops let alone attempt a Scottish trip.

This is today 5 days from now it maybe a perfect proposition to undertake with minimum of risk. So personally I won’t be calling the shots until the day in question.

I will not put my 2 young girls 3 and 5, the wifes and my life in any risk.

We all take daily risks, when biking for example but it’s all about calculating the risk.

But Winter Bivving is fine eh Stan 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Davidtaylforth – With the top down I hope.

Top down, the surf boards in the back and a 4 pack of ice cold Fosters on the go!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

Well you’re actually quite rude yourself tbh, Stoner. You should try to be like me, what is nice to everyone. 🙂

A lot of car journeys are unnecessary anyway. But people feel compelled to see family and that, so ‘have’ to drive.

Snow, ice, freezing conditions, greater chance of breakdowns, lots more drunk drivers, chance of getting stranded somewhere; yeah, some folk are very intelligent.

Off-licence downstairs will be open Xmas Day. I have no need to worry about anything.

geoffj

Congratulations, you’ve managed to avoid another chance to have a nice time with the family…

When you’ve got your own kids, your view of the world changes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘All this driving all over the country at Christmas’ is closed to new replies.