• This topic has 118 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • All the best for Christmas
  • barnsleymitch
    Free Member

And goodbye. After four years or so as a forum member, I feel I’ve had enough. In spite of what Mark had to say about there only being seven forum members on the banned list, it feels like a lot more. I understand the need for rules, and the need for singletrack to run as a business, etc, but recently the forum seems to be a lot more rigid – it’s difficult to put into words, things just seem less, well, friendly. That seems like a pretty poor reason for deciding to leave, but it’s enough for me. Seeing elf get banned on numerous occasions kind of chipped away some of my positivity, and yeti going yesterday was the last straw for me. I would imagine that this thread will get pulled pretty quickly, but if not, so long and thanks for some funny, thought provoking and at times frustrating times.
    Cheers, Mitch.

derek_starship
    Free Member

All the best to you too BM.

Don’t leave the forum. Just stick to the rules – like you do in everyday life – and you’ll be fine.

It’s a laugh on here and there’s always help, tips, advice – even invites to xmas dinner!

Give it another chance.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No don’t go Brother Barnsley!! 😥

I think the Powers That Be need to consider the importance of keeping the forum a happy, lively place, without sacrificing it’s character. It’s gone downhill a lot lately, and even I can’t be bothered quite as much, as it’s just got a bit sterile and staid.

Rules are important, yes,but a bit of common sense needs to enter the equation too. This is a population populated by (mostly) intelligent adults, and whilst kids might look at it, I don’t really see the point in watering things down to such a degree that it’s ‘safe’, as this then just leaves it too restrictive and controlled, which is counter-productive if you want a popular, lively place full of interesting characters.

As for the swearing; I’ve heard worse on Grand Designs at 5pm. Yes, I think we get the point that swearing is frowned upon.

Whilst it is the Mods’ ‘ball’, if they’re too controlling about it, no-one else will want to play. We’ll go and play somewhere else.

I think the Mods need to listen to what more and more people are saying about this place, that it’s losing it’s appeal, it’s not as much fun anymore.

The central core of ‘regulars’ is an eclectic bunch of characters who bring a wonderful diversity of opinion and though to this forum. It’s people like TJ, Ernie Lynch, Hora, Captain Flashheart, Cinnamon Girl, Mamadirt, Peterpoddy, WCA, SimonFBarnes and many others, who have all helped make this forum what it is. I think the Mods need to respect this fact, and acknowledge that it’s people like these, generating interest in this forum, that then helps generate advertising revenue. I’d imagine this revenue is pretty significant to the running of STW.

I’ve met loads of people off here, and I’m in touch by email with loads more. And recently, loads of them have said the forum is going downhill. There’s a great ‘community’ feel on here, and loads of good things have happened because of it. This isn’t just because a bunch of bods in an office in Calderdale have made an internet forum; this is because a load of people all over the place have contributed great input.

Respect works both ways. I think the mods need to have a think about this.

Gary_C

Wipe your dummy & put it back in your mouth, & put your toys back in the pram whilst you’re at it too….

😉

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

It’s people like TJ, Ernie Lynch, Hora, Captain Flashheart, Cinnamon Girl, Mamadirt, Peterpoddy, WCA, SimonFBarnes and many others, who have all helped make this forum what it is.

Those incomers? They might have helped make the forum what it is, but they didn’t make it great. That was other people, who have all disappeared to the other forum.

philconsequence
    Free Member

😯
    😐
    😥

but….

i genuinely dont know what to type. i’m going to email you pictures of sad looking cats now

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

This isn’t going to be easy for me but i’ll give it a try…
    Here goes…

I agree with what Elfinsafety said

There, I did it. 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

I’m obviously missing something on this forum, heard about people being banned but never really know what the cause is. Don’t really like seeing people go expecially those who have been extermely helpful to me in the past.

All the best to you.

sc-xc

This happens every year. Forum desperados who feel like rock stars because they are part of a self congratulatory daisy chain thinking that the forum is no good anymore.

It is what it is, the movement (and mellowing) of people is what keeps it alive.

ourmaninthenorth

Mitch – fair enough.

Funnily, I can cope with change to the operation and management of the rules (to a different degree), but often wonder about my own tenure for different reasons.

Somehow STW oftyen represents the best of tiems and worst of times for me. It’s entertaining, often thought provoking and knowledge enhancing. It’s an escape from the tedium of my desk, and a means of letting out some of the thoughts that whirl and fire around my head.

But, at the same time, my thinking comes to be dominated by what’s going on here, what there is that’s interesting to read or say, and it distracts me from more improtant matters. It lifts my depression, but also seems to contribute to it.

I’m hoping thie Christmas break gives some pause for a decision on which tack to take, but I don’t blame you for calling it quits and heading off elsewhere.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is the other forum?
    Are we not all guilty of just taking this a bit too seriously
    Who are the banned seven then? can we name them?
    TSY
    U31 must have got one for what they did I assume

BM sorry to hear you say that all the best

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I agree with what Elfinsafety said

There, I did it.

See? It doesn’t feel too bad after all, does it? 🙂

Those incomers? They might have helped make the forum what it is, but they didn’t make it great. That was other people, who have all disappeared to the other forum.

Who are those other people, and why did they leave? I know that lots of Mlehers post regularly on here anyway. Those I’ve mentioned have certainly made this forum interesting all the time I’ve bin here (5 years or so).

Maybe the forum could do with a democratically elected body of users who could liaise with the mods about problems/issues and stuff. Bit like the IPCC or something.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes cos what STW towers really want is even more input from us – dont you get it we are an inconveniance they just have to put up with. If they could live without the forum they would IMHO as the mag pays the bills not the forum.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Have fun BM. I’m sure even if you liked it on here Christmas will be better without it.

Elfin- the mlehers were most definitely not anything to do with this forum’s feel, we have a very different sense of what’s worth ranting about and what’s important (here it’s important to be right, on mleh it’s important to have a laugh). I’m not quite sure what he’s on about but at a guess it’d be theprawn/beer/dan etc and chocolate foot which appears to have died a death but there are other offshoots.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Who are those other people, and why did they leave?

Probably left for some peace and quiet.

Mark

7 people are on our banned list. We are gaining more forum users week by week. Something is attracting thousands of new visitors a month to this forum. The system is simple and the forum is lively and no matter what a tiny minority of users who have fallen foul of the rules think the facts are very clear. This forum is popular and is gaining in popularity and not the other way round. We’ve had many direct emails of support from users who find our moderation approach to be a good thing. It’s what makes this forum unique and different from the rest. It won;t suit everyone and some will always find that because of the standards of behaviour we expect from users that they are not comfortable here and they will move on. But they will be replaced by others who choose to contribute in their absence because they feel that what the leavers called ‘atmosphere’, or ‘character’, the majority found to be abusive and sexist behaviour.

Some people need to realise that they are not celebrities and just like Vince Cable they will not bring the system down by leaving.

binners

I’ve said it before, but the forum would function a lot better if only there was some way we could visit actual, real physical violence upon each other.

Imagine, as one forum member self-righteously pontificated from there ivory tower, a hand came out from the screen and gave them a hearty slap round the chops with a moist halibut.

Imagine giving Hora a wedgie mid-sentence as he woffles on about the failings of his third pair of forks this week

This is the future of the interweb my friends

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bye Barnsleymitch. Sorry to see you go, but I completely understand.

The importance of this forum on the Internet should not be underestimated – put in any google search about what <insert cycle related thing> and STW forum pages will be up there.

The forum generates the bulk of the clicks – millions of them a week. The clicks buy they adverts that pays for the site. The site promotes the mag which pays the bills.

What I’m saying is: the forum (us) are extremely valuable to the Singletrack brand.

I am curious about the alternative universe.

iDave
    Free Member

It’s only a forum? Why get so upset about who is or isn’t banned? It’s not like they’re being locked away to rot. Personally I’d like to be able to swear, but I can’t, and I have no desire to start my own sweary forum or go to mumsnet. Yeah some people who have been banned are funny, but some are also complete arses. This place acts as my office banter, and it’s fine for that, but it’s hardly something to get all uppity about. If it disappeared tomorrow, guess what? Life would go on…

Cougar

To be fair,

I think part of the problem is, the mods are too quick to hand out bans, it’s judge jury and executioner with no provision for telling your side. People make mistakes and going “the rules are clear, have a ban” doesn’t really promote good morale.

The swearing thing is a good example. I’m all for a non-sweary board, it makes for easier reading, but one man’s definition of swearing is different to another. Obviously, dropping the F-bomb is out, but what about milder expletives (carp etc)?

Also I’m hazy on how much self-censorship is allowed; if you star out letters in words (like the tabloids do on a daily basis) is that acceptable or ‘filter avoidance’? Father Ted managed prime-time viewing with judicious use of the word “****” – is that classed as swearing?

You might think the rules are clear – I’m not convinced that’s true. I’m more than happy to follow the rules, but if it’s not clear then mistakes are going to happen and I’d rather someone said “look, that’s not on” and gave me a chance to apologise, rather than slapping bans about the place. A ban should be a repeat-offence punishment.

IMHO, etc.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yeah but that works both ways binners. I could be sat sat here typing away, only to find Hora’s hand reaching out of the screen for a quick fumble. It’s just not worth the risk.

binners

Jesus!!! What a hideous thought. No-one female on here would be safe. In fact no-one would be safe. Full stop. He’s an animal!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

We are gaining more forum users week by week.

Most of whom, by your own admission, never post anything!

This forum is popular and is gaining in popularity and not the other way round.

Mainly because it’s regulars make it an interesting forum.

I think the issue currently is that there has been a fair bit of confusion over the swearing thing, which has led to people feeling unsure of what is and what isn’t acceptable. People have had bans for saying exactly the same things as moderators themselves! It’s that kind of inconsistency that annoys.

I’m not trying to cause trouble here, just point out stuff that I know a lot of STWers are thinking. I’d like STW to be a positive happy place. The ‘mood’ has definitely dipped recently.

On the plus side; I’ve seen that certain offensive behaviour gets dealt with much more effectively these days, which is good. Freedom of expression is good, but people have to understand that others may think differently (even if they’re wrong…), and that certain attitudes aren’t acceptable.

As for ‘celebrities’; Mark, what you perhaps don’t always see, is that certain people help bring others together for rides and stuff, organise events, do generally positive things. STW is a conduit for that. So the input of certain people gets recognised by others. So what if there’s a few big egos? Makes it more interesting!

sc-xc

I’d rather someone said “look, that’s not on” and gave me a chance to apologise, rather than slapping bans about the place.

They do that…

Please – your last comment really wasn’t necessary. It will be removed.
    Thanks.

In relation to: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-to-enjoy-xmas-shopping#post-2088594

If you really feel the need to contest this warning then please reply to moderator@singletrackworld.com.

Sent to Barry Bethel by the Singletrack moderators.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

This happens every year. Forum desperados who feel like rock stars because they are part of a self congratulatory daisy chain thinking that the forum is no good anymore.

Nail.
    On.
    Head.

toby1

Cressers, Friday Kylie, all things that are gone – we should remember them at Christmas 🙂

binners

I’m not trying to cause trouble here

Snigger. You forgot the ‘Honest, guv’ on the end there Fred 😀

GlitterGary
    Free Member

On a lighter note, can somebody lend me a Mint Sauce keyring for a few days?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well, got to watch what I say on here, in’t I Binners? 😉

S’allright for you. You get to abuse Hora on a regular basis.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think the issue currently is that there has been a fair bit of confusion over the swearing thing

It is true that I got banned for swear filter avoidance – which I did but you can actually type the word and phrase I used and it gets past the swear filter. i have asked for clarification when I have seen others use the phrase about urine boiling but have not had a reply.

I accept you can do what you like with your forum and I repsect the fact, despite doubtlessly rolling your eyes in the office at this, you reply again to threads like this. i think some users are being either childish or impetous depending on your view about the change and it is not that drastic and it is not that hard to adhere to the new rules even though bits are confusing. I just stoppped swearing though it semms sometimes it is ok and sometimes it is not – this is what makes poeple think you use this to teach folk a lesson sometimes – perhaps they do deserve it but that is another issue

Happy Christams STW

Perhaps you could let us with the P who pay for the mag have a quota of warnings for the year 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Get Mitch’s point totally. Find myself being more annoyed by some of the twonks on here than entertained lately. Then the entertaining ones get banned for making a joke. Well I hope to see the poster who used “WTF” on the bike thread just now get the same treatment.
    If I go from the forum I’ll cancel my subscription to the mag too.

Coyote
    Free Member

Some people need to realise that they are not celebrities and just like Vince Cable they will not bring the system down by leaving.

Liking it. 8)

It is fair to say that some posters seem to think of themselves as STW celebrities. Personally I’m still reeling from the discovery that TSY is a big fat sweaty bloke. Glad s/he’s banned. Made me feel dirty.

sam_underhill

“Friday Kylie”….. has that actually been written out of the rules? (it’s been a while since I last looked). I just thought people had got bored.

Can we bring it back?

Mark

The Kylie Clause is still there. Again, another misconception that we have removed it and put a stop to the ‘fun’. It’s stopped appearing because I guess the forum chose not to do it.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The Kylie Clause is still there. Again, another misconception that we have removed it and put a stop to the ‘fun’. It’s stopped appearing because I guess the forum chose not to do it.

Because it’s lame as is flouncing off the forum in a huff.

iDave
    Free Member

if you think the forum is shit, make it not shit, or depart. hardly a difficult thought process. some ‘people’ on here make me despair for the human race, but they’re allowed to do that, keeps life less boring.

EDIT – Ohhh, I can say shit!

robdob
    Free Member

I fully support the enforcement of the forum rules and have said so many times. I thought this was improving the forum.
    However, I have now learnt that there is now a more covert approach the mods are taking to remove posts which they just don’t like rather than them breaking the rules.
    So I for one will be here a lot less, if at all, in the future as I don’t think I can say what I want to say, even if its within the rules. I don’t want to get a ranting childish “telling off” every time I fail to wave the Singletrack flag hard enough. If they want to run a forum which only says what they want to hear then maybe they should restrict it to ST staff and their best buddies.
    I fully expect to be banned now for daring to criticise. Oh well.
    Have a nice Christmas y’all!!

philconsequence
    Free Member

i for one think B’mitch is a flouncy rockstar who plays with daisy chains.

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think that’s BM’s point, iDave. He and others are happy to contribute in a positive manner, but then if people get banned for spurious reasons, it’s just a bit crap, and brings the mood down.

I think this place is overall ok, and I’ll continue to use it and gain positive things from it, regardless. There are people on here, on this thread even, who post nothing but negativity and attempts to look ‘tough’ or clever. Strikes me as an utter waste of time really, but hey ho.

Whilst we’re all in contemplative mood, I do think it would be a good thing for the mods to consider what people have said here and on some other threads recently; let’s see it more as ‘our’ forum rather than ‘theirs’. Co-operation needs to work both ways.

binners

FFS. Get a grip! Its an internet forum

There’s so much navel gazing going on on here of late, its starting to resemble a sixth formers bedroom. It probably smells like one too

Shall I put the Smiths on? Cool. Skin up someone

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘All the best for Christmas’ is closed to new replies.