Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • all mountain full face
  • meiriadog42
    Free Member

I suppose its paranoia but every time i pick up MBR there is always a picture of an Old Git with a mangled mug. After some close shaves ive decided to invest in a lightweight full face lid.
    I have to admit they are not completely new to me and in years gone by i owned a Giro swithcblade. The Giro had a removable chin guard and i found it quite comfortable. Any Giro have stopped making these( maybe coz they were not very safe??!) the options i am considering at the moment are, URGE ARCHI Enduro , Specialized Deviant, Casco Viper. Any comments, reviews or opinions would be welcome

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Ive heard nothing but good things about the Casco….

thomthumb
    Free Member

deviant is really light – my mate has one and it looks cool. nice venting too.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

my deviant carbon is very light and well vented but like all proper full faces still horrible to pedal in.

jimjam
    Free Member

Not a full face but the Urge Enduromatic is super light, very comfy and provides good coverage. Urge also do an enduro specific full face with huge venting and hole in the chin for drinks tube. Dunno if it’s out yet but it might be the ticket.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah wouldn’t want to ride up many mountains in my deviant carbon, think the Casco one is the best option to but never seen one in the flesh. The Met Parachutes are quite popular but don’t look like they offer a whole lot of protection over deflecting branches etc. to me…

psychle
    Free Member

Loving that Urge Enduro… schweet! 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Jimjam – Can I ask what kind of riding have you been doing in the Enduromatic and how do you find it heat-wise?

Assuming you’ve got one that is.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Try borrowing/renting one before you buy. FF helmets are horrible to climb in and even the best vented ones really restrict your breathing when you are going slowly.

As much as I love my FF I would never wear it for trail riding.

cabbage84
    Free Member

Met parachute has saved my face on numerous occasions

jimjam
    Free Member

chakaping

Jimjam – Can I ask what kind of riding have you been doing in the Enduromatic and how do you find it heat-wise?

Assuming you’ve got one that is.

My friend has one. I’ve tried it on and it is unbelievably comfy. He’s been using it mainly for chilly night rides, but has done a few all dayers including some extended climbing – he’s been raving about it. It cuts such a low profile too. I thought it would look daft, all bulky, but it’s very neat. I’d buy one but I couldn’t justify it over a normal potty given the price.

nosedive
    Free Member

I bought a met armadillo thinking I could pedal in it, very light.

I cant. its too sweaty. so I got a met parachute.

seems OK but I havent faceplanted it yet

jonahtonto
    Free Member

ive got a giro switchblade blade but have decided its not enough protection so have just got a 661, i might be persuaded to part with the switchblade if your tempted.
    given a choice, id get the deviant but the carbon version isnt that much lighter really

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers Jimjam, I think I’m going to get one of these – one of my LBS flogs them so will pop in and try on

I_Ache
    Free Member

Im liking the enduromatic lots that will be on the list for when I need to replace my Xen later this year.

singlespeedstu

The Enduromatic is indeed a very nice lid.
    Quite light and no where near as hot as it would appear to be.

i’ve had mine for just under a month now and even though i originaly got it to wear when it was too cold for my zen i’ve not used the zen since.

I did damage the visor on it on sunday but emailed Urge direct and they rang me first thing monday morning to tell me they were sorting a new one out for me. Fantastic service in my book. 🙂

As a bonus they look a lot less mushroom like than the zen.

new gap in the wall by singlespeedstu, on Flickr

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I took a 661 full face to spain with me, TBH I thought it would be overkill but then one of the other guys faceplanted on a relatively tame bit of trail on day 1.

Climbing in it was impossible, but it was quite easy to strap onto the bars over the stem. Decending it was fine. The only bits that hurt were traversing sections, I eneded up taking sections easy and not wearign it, whereas I could have attacked them in an open face.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve worn a Met Parachute for a good few years now. I got it as it actually covered more of the back of my head than the Xen I was intending on buying. I only put the chinguard on when riding steep & rocky stuff, Lakes, Dyfi etc. It is a bit hot on the climbs, but you get used to it. Biggest problem is if you have to hawk up a greenie, or ride hard enough tomake yourself sick, where does it go…
    It is a few years old now and probably needs replacing. Very tempted to try an Urge Enduro out.

GW
    Free Member

As a bonus they look a lot less mushroom like than the zen

Still looks pretty **** special tho 😉

singlespeedstu

As do most helmets. 8)

meiriadog42
    Free Member

The casco viper looks like its the lightest. The Parachute looks way too flimsy to bother with, the deviant carbon is the heaviest and most expensive at a claimed 899g and approx £160( still quite lightweight tho). If you could ever love the look of a lid it would have to be the Archi Enduro. Ive yet to find anyone who can give it a first hand review

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure I see the point in that Enduromatic thing, surely it’s a face guard you want if you’re bothering to get more than a XC type helmet?

chakaping
    Free Member

Nah, I want to look like I’ve lost my scooter.

akira

POC Trebec might be worth a look as well.
    CRC do them.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m going to try a Deviant on shortly. I’ll let you know if its good or not.

billysan
    Free Member

Has anyone got an idea of the sizing of those Urge helmets? Have seen that CRC sell them, but only stock 2 sizes. S/M & L/XL apparently. Neither CRC nor the Urge website have any details on what the sizes equate to. I have a 58cm head and currently wear a medium Xen, but get the impression that I might be right in between the sizes.
    Alternatively, anyone know of a shop that actually stocks Urge stuff?

ltheisinger
    Free Member

cabbage84 – Member

Met parachute has saved my face on numerous occasions

+1!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Has anyone got an idea of the sizing of those Urge helmets?

I’m probably going to try one on today so will report back.

Can’t get it out of my head that I’d look liek a mod now though.

“What wing mirrors for all mountain?”

chakaping
    Free Member

OK, I bought one today.

Been for an hour-and-a-half XC ride and it’s hot but not unbearably so. feels a bit like when you have a buff under a normal helmet – and I was a bit overdressed anyway in bibs, two long sleeve tops and baggies with temperature at 12deg.

It’s very light and comfy too. I got L/XL and put the fatter pads in and it was comfy enough. I’m usually a large helmet (fnarr fnarr), but can measure head when back next week if you want billy?

singlespeedstu

I’ve got a medium zen and a large/xlarge enduromatic with the thicker pad kit in if that helps you on sizing.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I tried a couple of Spesh Deviants today.

My 58cm head would, according to the Spesh web site, be able to fit medium (54cm – 60cm) or large (57 – 63cm) deviants.

Large was too large, medium nearly had to be cut off.

Not at all comfortable in either.

I’ll try an urge next but only if I can get over the fact that the vents look like they belong on a chip shop range.

DeeW
    Free Member

I ride a large Xen. L/XL Enduromatic was way too small for me. Bit of a funny shaped head though: sticks out at the back: Xen is one of the only helmet I’ve found that fits well.

Never buy a helmet without trying it first.

JEJames do Urge.

billysan
    Free Member

Sounds like an L/XL may be alright afterall. If you could measure your head thought please chakaping I’d be grateful.

Best option would still be to find a shop with some in stock.

I had never heard of them till reading this thread, they look ace I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you could measure your head thought please chakaping I’d be grateful.

Sorry billy, I only just found the tape measure last night.

59cm above the ears.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘all mountain full face’ is closed to new replies.