Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • All hail the Schwalbe Marathon Plus
  • ktaylor
    Free Member

365 days of puncture free joy due to these beauties.

Communte 4 days a week, 13 miles a day through hell and high water and had my first puncture this morning (bought these enginnering masterpieces on 27th Feb last year).

Just wanted to share.

As you were…

antigee

wasn’t last year a leap year?so didn’t you get a bonus day?

swopped to them about a month ago after multiple punctures with spec’ boroughs no punctures but seem very very slippy on wet concrete

craigxxl
    Free Member

They are great tyres, heavy but roll well and near bullet proof.

kimbers

i can top that

mine have done 20 miles a day 5 days a week for 2 years in and out of london,no punctures and still loads of tread left

Houns

You have woken the puncture gods

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got a couple of thousand miles out of mine fully loaded on my touring bike. One puncture with a drawing pin 🙁

Switched to Marathon Supremes, folding, a lot lighter and much faster rolling.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Ohhh you’ve done now!!!! 😉
    3 years here now, 5 days a week (1.5years @ 5mpd, 1.5years @14mpd) and touch wood not one here either

Brilliant tyres for commuting, nope not the quickest but on a commute I’d trade that any day for years of puncture free riding 😀

traildog
    Free Member

Glad to hear it. I’m just getting a pair, after having far too many punctures with my gatorskins.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ve only seen two M+ defeated. One by a flint the size of a penny and razor edged all the way round. The other, the owner had been running solid tyres which had battered the side of the rim into a sharp edge that wore through the tyre’s bead very quickly. with the solid tyres he had been breaking spokes on a weekly basis.

ktaylor
    Free Member

I was dead chuffed with a year. Now I feel I set the bar too low!

I wanted to post this after 6 months as I have never gone 6 months without a puncture commuting to work. But I obviously didn’t want to jinx things ;-).

I run mine at a spine tingling 110psi. Would a lower pressure help me reach the heights others here allude to?

ton

i am running some schwalbe marathon mondial at present.
    80 to 100 mile a week, no problems so far.

Waderider
    Free Member

ktaylor, these tyres are not meant to be pumped up that hard. You might die.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m running around 90psi in mine and they feel ideal for my 5 day a week 8ish mile round trip. fast enough rolling for me (on a SS roadrat with flat bars, in super flat manchester).

rewski
    Free Member

They are great tyres, I eventually got a puncture in mine, but to be fair it was due to a reasonable sized chunk of headlight glass that had worked it’s way through the kevlar, and probably taken months to do so.

russjp
    Free Member

I have them fitted to a fleet of 50 royal mail post bikes that I maintain, only ever get maybe one puncture a month over the whole fleet which isn’t bad seeing the amount of mileage and abuse they get

ktaylor
    Free Member

Forget the titanium frame, the indexed gears, the hollowtech crank, the ten speed sprocket…..these Schwalbes are my favourite bit of bike technology!

Perhaps sensible mudguards is the next move for this commuter????

LadyGresley
    Free Member

The only thing not to like about marathon plus is the thumb pain when fitting them! I’ve known some people have two helpers to get them on the rim. Normally they take me a few attempts and a fair number of swear words, but I fitted my recent new one on the pavement outside a bike shop in about three minutes, with only one profanity uttered 😀 The bike shop said they didn’t have time to do it for me 😕

boxfish
    Free Member

I feel the same way about the Bonty Racelite Hardcase tyres on my road bike. I’ve just fitted the fourth set of them in 6 years. 1 solitary puncture in that period.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘All hail the Schwalbe Marathon Plus’ is closed to new replies.