• This topic has 30 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • ALL CAKE BAKERS BAKE THIS!!!!!!!
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

Oh my deity above all apparent deities that may or may not exist, dependant upon your point of view or take on the whole religion thing

Nigella has a recipe for heaven on a fork! Her Lemon Polenta and almond cake is sooooooo gooooood. Bake it, bake it now before you start regretting not having baked it before you have actually baked it!

Erm, you might actually make sure you like the taste of lemons before hand though. Otherwise go, NOW, and bake it, soak it and try not to eat all of it.

This is the XTR of the cake world!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So it’s OK then? 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Linky ?

phil.w
    Free Member

this thread is useless without pictures recipes 🙂

AdamW
    Free Member

Gah. Nut intolerance. The damned thing has a load of almonds in it. 😕

AndyRT
    Free Member

almost as good as the sideways action you’re gonna have on the way home tonight!

trust me on this..worth the cooking time.

DezB
    Free Member

You’ll be fine AdamW 😉

DezB
    Free Member
    AndyRT
    Free Member

DezB, yep, you’ll be fine with that….

Cougar

“200g/7oz soft unsalted butter, plus some for greasing”

I’m sure she does it on purpose, this is directly after talking about “wholly desirable dampness.” The little minx.

Sounds good though, I might just give that a punt.

AndyRT
    Free Member

😆

allthepies
    Free Member

Ah, but it’s not a Nigella recipe but a recipe that happens to be on her website 🙂

(unless her part of London is warm enough for lemon trees, she measures ingredients in cups and goes by the name of Angeldrawers 😉 )

AndyRT
    Free Member

Ah, the american trickery of a CUP. I used her book as I am a confirmed Nigella fan. I confess to googling quickly to soothe the demand of the rampaging hordes of potential cake eaterers. DezB found the BBC linky, so I feel content that even those on the other side of the great divide may sample the tangy sweetness, and moistness that this slice of Nigella delivers.

On another note, how did they become a world super power with such ambiguous woolly measurements as a cup?!?

mogrim

The cup is a perfect measure, it’s the Fahrenheit thing that makes me get out the calculator. Or stick the oven on at 180C and hope for the best.

Cougar

The Americans do a lot of things right. The “cup” is not one of these things.

AndyRT
    Free Member

but a cup is another person’s mug or jar or even a bowl?

Is there an international agreement on what a cup is?

If there is, then I hold no hope for us a species, if there isn’t, I rest my case.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cup works well. You can make it with whatever you deem to be a cup as it keeps the ratio the same
    I miss lemon polenta cake – not found a decent vegan version as it is a bit light to bind

AndyRT
    Free Member

Is there no vegan alternative to butter?

Blackhound

Got my ingredients together yesterday for this. Accept for the lemons! On my to-do list, good to see its recommended.

Cougar

Two problems with ‘cup’.

First, it’s alright if you’re equating it to ‘part’ – one part this, two parts that. It falls down when you’ve got other finite measurements.

Second, measuring dry ingredients by volume is flawed. Stuff can settle, a cup of sieved flour is a different volume to unsifted, etc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is the eggs that is the issue – they bind the cake and they do a great job. You can use other things but they wont bind a polenta cake for some reason- well banana will but it is no longer light . I have tried a variety of things with mixed results but nothing works well. Lovely cake mind

z1ppy

Adds it to list of recipes to bake, just put her (recipe) banana & cherry loaf in the oven.
    Nom nom nom!

Cougar

Is there no vegan alternative to butter?

“Pure” sunflower marge is about the closest I believe, but I’m not wholly sure how good it’d be for baking.

http://www.puredairyfree.co.uk/

iDave
    Free Member

I’m a cooking type, but not a baking type. However, I may try this.

Drac

A UK Cup is 285ml.

kimbers

AndyRT
    Free Member

what were you saying about cups? Suddenly lost my train of thought

DenDennis
    Free Member

sounds lovely, need to figure out where to get polenta but should not be too tricky.

I also did the choc brownie she did on last show (not in recipe list for some reason) using tons of cocoa instead of choc- SUPERB. banged in some crushed hazlenuts and used 2/3 sugar and it was easily sweet enough.

AndyRT
    Free Member

waitrose is a good bet for polenta, but Sainsbury do it too I think

Drac

Polenta is available at most supermarkets.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘ALL CAKE BAKERS BAKE THIS!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.