Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Alfine/Roadrat chain tension advice please
  • Swayndo
    Free Member

Fitted an Alfine to the Rat this weekend and have only been a few spins in the street, but the chain tension seems to be lost very quicky. The non-turn spacers mean my Surly Tuggnut and Rat tug won’t work, so I’m at a bit of a hurdle.

I’m not even sure this is all that big an issue but I don’t really want it become one on the 21 mile commute to work one morning this week. Any advice or reassurance would be welcome. Horizontal track ends on the Rat BTW.

BlobOnAStick

I’ve had the nuts on my IO ID come loose a few times despite being well tightened when I replce the back wheel – are you sure they’re not loosening?

I virtually stood on my spanner at the end of the last ride after finding the back wheel loose after a hair-raising descent. I only hope I don’t have to remove the wheel on the trail – I’ll need to carry a scaffold bar to loosen it!

Ben

Swayndo
    Free Member

Could be … I reckon I’ll just need more brute force.

paul4stones

Is it a new chain? If so then they normally need a bit of adjustment, maybe even needing a link removing, until they settle down.

Sorry if you’re an experienced SSer and realise this already.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Aye, it’s not chain stretch. It happened in a few hundred yards of village street. I just need to be firmer with the spanner I guess.

swampi
    Free Member

i have had an alfine for about a year and a half, i check the nut tension every week using a big mother of a socket tool as i have had my wheel popout twice when cranking up a big hill(i hadnt checked the nuts proir to these rides for a while), even with the correct non turn washers for your frame there is some degree of space for the nut to move

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Alfine/Roadrat chain tension advice please’ is closed to new replies.