Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alfine wheel build
  • FieldMarshall

I am looking to build up an alfine hub for the winter.

Can anyone Alfine users out there tell me how many "crosses" I should go for in terms of spokes, i.e. 2 or 3, as I read somewhere about only using 2 on gear hubs due to the large hub diameter.

Also I cannot find the Alfine on any of the spoke calculators, so have been using the Nexus 8 values. Is this legit?

Cheers

Saccades
    Free Member

No, alfine and nexus are different, and the flange is differnt on each side.

for a XM819 I used 252 and 250.

Del

2 vs 3 cross. hmm./ may be sensible. the nipples/spokes given the 'angle of attack', however all the weight on that wheel, and bashing it into things….
    i measured mine. afraid i didn't keep the measurements. sorry. google 'spocalc' and there's a good guide on there on how to use it and how to measure your hub.
    if you don't have xcel use openoffice ( free download ).
    FWIW i used 255 spokes on a mavic xm719 3 cross.

FieldMarshall

Thanks for the advice.

Using "spocalc" as a guide I have measured my hub and have also measured and adjusted the ERD quoted by Mavic for my EN521 rim.

Spoke length is coming out as 253.8 and 253.2, so looks like I need to go for 252. Think I'll get some DT COMP DB in Black.

Next job is to try and build it once I have the spokes. Think Sheldon will be coming in useful again!

FieldMarshall

Forgot to add, my Alfine measurements came out pretty much identical to the Nexus 8 Spd on Spocalc.

I am also opting for 3 cross for added strength, as seeing that the hub is quite heavy, I think the extra strength will be necessary and there seems to be only marginal weight penalty in terms of spoke weight.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Importers said 3 cross. On reflection after building me mate says 2 cross would be better, due to angle of spokes in the nipple. That's on an en321 rim, similar to your 521. I think it was tight on the spoke size, but just about ok. I can find out what he used if you want.

Del

sheldon is the way forward. good effort!

FieldMarshall

My initial concern about 3 cross was the spoke/nipple angle, but I decided on 3 cross from a strength perspective.

Now i'm unsure.

Also if I go 2 cross then I will need 236mm and so will have to go for PB spokes as they dont seem to do DB that short.

What are the pros/cons of PB & DB?

DB are lighter but if I go 2 cross I will need shorter spokes and thus save some weight back that way.

Any further advice/thoughts welcome.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alfine wheel build’ is closed to new replies.