Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alfine spoke pattern
  • col642
    Free Member

About to build an Alfine rear hub into a 32 spoke XM317 26" rim.
    Bit undecided about going 2x or 3x with the spoking pattern.

Usual advice is "Go 3x" but I'm not so sure due to the large Alfine flange size which could cause excessive spoke bending stress at the nipple???

Could I please get some advice from any Alfine users/ wheelbuilders out there?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mine appears to be 2 cross. Beyond that I know nothing

cynic-al
    Free Member

large Alfine flange size which could cause excessive spoke bending stress at the nipple???

I don't think it will affect that much – more like odd angles/bending at the flange (oo-er).

I'll try to remember to look at my front next when I get in.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Definitely 2 cross for an Alfine wheel. There isn't really the room to do 3 cross properly and you end up with the spokes lying really badly over the hub flanges.

Hicksy
    Free Member

As per Mr _H and the others, 2 cross only.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Built mine 3x no issues with the spokes crossing on the flange there is a small bend where the spoke enters the nipplethough not had any issues with this either.

mboy
    Free Member

Have built 2 Alfines up now, both 3x lacing.

OK, one of those was on a 29er rim which gave a lot more room, but the other was on a Mavic XM321 26" rim. To be fair, when it was built I did think that given the choice again I'd probably build it 2x, but the nipple angle at the rim wasn't too extreme as to be of any worry.

convert

Built mine into a 29er Stans 355 and went 3 cross, no issues. Can't see it would be an issue 3X in a 26" given bmx wheels sometimes have a reasonable sized (ie normal) flange and are often built 4X (though i've never understood why, but that's another issue).

This hub is in its 2nd incarnation – the first was none cycling related (kids "greenpower" electric race car) and building it into a 20" bmx rim was….interesting!

col642
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Will go 2 cross then.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

I found some pictures on ebay, and the angle of the spokes with the rim on 26" wheels with 3x was horrendous! Not sure if it's unsafe in any way, it just looks fugly 🙂 I went 2x and it's bomber anyway.

markenduro
    Free Member

Definately go 2 cross, my first build into a 29er rim was 3 cross and had quite a few spokes snapping at the nipple end.

johnners
    Free Member

Built mine 3 cross with no problems. Looks fine too.

bruneep

He said "flange" <snigger>*

* I have nothing else to offer.

giantjason
    Free Member

mine is built 3 cross and have put about 750miles on it with no issues

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alfine spoke pattern’ is closed to new replies.