Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alfine oil
  • piemonster

Is it some sort of gold laden super special elixir of wonderfulness, or is there an alternative not costing £70 a litre?

nuke

Just get enough for 1 service off ebay off alfine-11…i bought off him direct to get more. Hardly seems a lot relative to how often it needs doing

mikertroid
    Free Member

What are the 11 speed units like for reliability. Last I read they liked dumping their oil everywhere

My Alfine 8 is going strong after 4 winters of abuse. I did get it serviced last spring but I think that was premature by all accounts.

whitestone
    Free Member

Not had oil leak from mine. Did the first oil change a little late – meant to be at 2000Km but I did it nearer 4K. The 11sp is much less tolerant of the indexing being off, I get occasional slipping but cleaning the cable line and re-indexing sorts it out.

bri-72

I did my alfine 8 in ATF oil from halfords. Plenty of google searches turned that up as a recommended alternative. Less than a tenner for litre from memory.

drlex
    Free Member

I used the Rohloff kit – cheaper, with more oil than the Shimano set. Would’ve bought from eBay, but wanted other bits from SJS. Coming up to three years’ use without any issues, and the prior owner claimed it had been problem-free in his year of ownership.
    (Alfine 11 on a Pompetamine.)

piemonster

I’ve ordered the kit from the lbs.

Although I’ve just realised ive no first gear. Which is disappointing.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I did my alfine 8 in ATF oil from halfords. Plenty of google searches turned that up as a recommended alternative. Less than a tenner for litre from memory.

Me too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alfine oil’ is closed to new replies.