Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Alfine hub play
  • nunuboogie
    Free Member

I have a large amount of play in my alfine hub, this may be down to my incompetence as a bike mechanic setting up for wheel or it may possibly need servicing? (was brought 2nd hand) I have asked LBS if they service alfine hubs and they said it’s not cost effective as it’s an all day job. Any thoughts on possible reasons for play? Or recommendations for a shop willing to service at a reasonable price?
    Thanks

PhilO
    Free Member

I’d suggest that it’s very likely to be the bearing adjustment. Just take a cone spanner to the NDS end of the axle…

Incidentally, the only routine maintenance on the Alfine (IIRC) is the oil-dip of the innards. That should take a competent mechanic about 10-15 minutes. A full strip-down would be an all-dayer, but given that the hub’s not really designed to be serviceable, I’m not sure what would be hoped to be achieved by that, anyway.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

Great, thanks PhilO I will that a go.

singlespeedstu

What Phil said.

Saccades
    Free Member

18bikes quoted me

An alfine service is £30 plus maybe £15 postage back

, although postage maybe high as I’m in ireland.

The whole hub assembly can be removed from the shell quite easily but does require a specific tool. Then it can be re-lubricated which should stop the noise. To test whether the hub bearings need adjusting, simply rock the rim and feel for any play like you would with any cup and cone hub.

I’d happily recommend 18bikes, excellent customer service – even when they have just been broken into and half their stock nicked.

nunuboogie
    Free Member

I can feel another session of failed bike maintenance happening tonight! Any idea what size cone spanner needed?
    18 bikes will be the second option when I fail 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Alfine hub play’ is closed to new replies.