Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alfine for a commuter, is it all that?
  • Pieface

I’m in the market for a new 700c based commuter / tourer. I was initially taken by the Alfine equipped Genesis Day One’s and Pompetamine’s, however they both have track ends and mudguards would be a PITA.

I think full mudguards would work with the quick release thingies you have on front mudguards – anyone got any experiences?

Otherwise does anyone do an Alfine based 700c bike with an eccentric bb?

The alternative is a kaffenback with 10spd SRAM Rival. I know that the drivetrain will wear out, however how does this compare with the service costs of the Alfine and the (slight) additonal faff of dealing with punctures (was thinking of going tubeless anyway).

Budget is about £1k so any thoughts / alternatives appreciated.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Alfine is great on a commuter. I have an genesis IOID Mudguards are fine on it has it has the lugs on the dropouts. NO issues with moving the wheel – you just need a bit of extra clearance – you don’t need to adjust the chain very often

GEDA
    Free Member

I have a Charge Mixer and it is great for commuting and it has full mud guards. It cost £600 as Wiggle had a discount. Much more now.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I have a Pomp that started life as a singlespeed and then got an alifine bodged into it. Out of all my mountainbikes and road bikes, it will go anywhere, always works, requires virtually no fettling and never lets me down. Go for it.

fisha
    Free Member

Alfine 8’s aren’t as good as a normal geared setup in terms of the range and gaps between each of the ratios, they also shift the weight to the rear wheel which you notice, but not too much.

Where they do win out is on the commuter bike where youre wanting something thats going to run and run and run without having to faff over it. The only adjustment i’ve done is to tweak the cable adjuster to take up the initial cable slackening from when i got it new. Other than that, its been hassle free.

Otherwise does anyone do an Alfine based 700c bike with an eccentric bb?

I have a Cube Hooper which has an EBB + Alfine. To begin with, the chain stretched a little and I thnk the EBB slipped a little too, but once adjusted back, its been fine as well. I run it with mudguards, and am glad i have the EBB.

Pieface

Are the ratio’s on an 8 big enough for touring (where 25% slopes may be encountered) or should I go for an 11?

TiRed

You just need SKS mudguard clips on the rear stays for fast removal.

Or decent puncture proof tyres (always a good idea with an alfine hub)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pieface – Member

Are the ratio’s on an 8 big enough for touring (where 25% slopes may be encountered) or should I go for an 11?

The alfine 8 is almost identical to a 1×9 setup with a 11/34 casette. You can obviously alter the final drive ratio to raise or lower it overall. I have mine set up so its a 36 chainring equivalent – gives me gears from 3 mph to 30

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alfine for a commuter, is it all that?’ is closed to new replies.