Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Alfine 8sp, as a do-it-all drivetrain?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m after getting the missus a new commuter, where we live is hilly in Scotland, but it’s about 5 miles commuting distance – so not long at all.

90% of the time it’s going to be used for commuting, but we still do some long rides together in the summer.

How would an 8sp Alfine, with a 45t x 18t setup do? Looking at ratios, it looks like you pretty much get equivalent to a compact with a 11-25…

I think….

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ricks

neilthewheel

On a 26 or 700c wheel? (other sizes are available, I believe). If the latter, consider A 16T.

tinribz
    Free Member

I’ve one on my Kaff, and would say 45 was a little masacistic for hills. But I’m a bit of a wuss.

mboy
    Free Member

Just for commuting?

Perfect.

It’s a low maintenance unit, and for 5 mile each way commutes, the gaps in the ratios really won’t be an issue.

For longer road rides?

Forget it.

The gaps in the ratios would be REALLY annoying when riding with others, and it’s weighty and you do notice the drag more than on a decent derailleur gear setup.

Used one for a while on a mountain bike. As an alternative to a winter singlespeed, it’s a great idea as it’s as low maintenance pretty much, but it does allow you some usable gears at least. I noticed the weight and lack of ratios a lot more in the summer though. Would happily run one on a commuter bike though, I think that would be its most suitable application.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got one on my Croix de Fer that is really just used for road riding, I think it’s fine. Also my comuter had a Nexus hub on it, that was great too.

Just use a gear ratio calculator to make sure you get suitable chain rings for the terrain,

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I don’t see the logic above of using a smaller cog for the bigger wheel? That would increase the gear size out of proportion!

Yes I think 45-18 would be suitable. No harm in going down the chainring size – how fast is she really likely to be pedalling? Would she appreciate another hill gear on bigger climbs?

ontor
    Free Member

You won’t notice the ratio gaps after a bit. Its an ace hub and perfect for what you want.

shermer75
    Free Member

Just echoing what’s been said really- great for commuting. I’ve used it on long rides but at a relaxed, ‘stop at the pub a lot’ kind of a pace. Also, my ratios are much lower than 45 x 18, I’ve got 26″ wheels with 1.3″ tyres and I use 32 x something quite big at the back- I forget but it’s around the 18 mark! These are low, but I’m rarely over 20mph on it unless going down a hill. Hope that helps!

DrP

Agreed – ace hub.
    I’m on something like 42:20, but that’s cos I fitted the bigger rear cog in order to tow trailer stacked up with camping gear/child etc etc.

I use it every day for work, and apart from slipping a few time, it’s great.
    I’ve got versa shifters and drops.
    I love how silent it is when free wheeling too 🙂

DrP

lardman
    Free Member

I’ve got two Alfined bikes, and use two different ratios.

Winter ‘mud’ hardtail 26″, with 36 x 18 for trail riding (south downs area) and it’s spot on for most hills. Spin it out on the flats sometimes, but just enough to get up the steep bits.

700c commuter, with 42 x 18 gets me around town, and occasional short road ride. Again, spin out on the fast downhill road bits but in Brighton there are some shorter sharp hills I need the low end for. Works fine at these ratios.

mikertroid
    Free Member

My HT is 32:18. I could ditch all my other bikes and happily use this one only. In fact it gets much more use than the others. I’ve done >3000 miles on it all off-road. Just had it serviced and new cable and sprocket this week. Feels new.

I’d definitely get another Alfine 8. Superb bit of kit.

riddoch

Did you service it yourself it get someone to do it?

mikertroid
    Free Member

No I got A shop to do it. £25. Plus a few quid for a sprocket. I suspect the bike will be dead by the time it needs another service! It’s had a hard life with lots of jumping etc.

I get thru chains very quickly ( last 2-3 months before they get too stretched). I guess it’s because I’m out of the saddle more.

riddoch

I’ve picked up a secodhand alfine and I didn’t fancy doing the oil bath thing myself but I’d head some ridiculous quotes for servicing.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve picked up a secodhand alfine and I didn’t fancy doing the oil bath thing myself but I’d head some ridiculous quotes for servicing.

The oil bath thing is really very easy. I did mine last summer and approached it with a bit of trepidation but it was surprisingly simple.

ventana_craig
    Free Member

I’ve got one and echo what others say about ratio gaps. I ride mine on a Genesis day one to work and back. The commute is 26 miles of flatish riding. Its not as nice as a sora but its fit and forget. The service intervals are 5000 miles. I got mine done for £30 by Dales cycles in Glasgow.

Perfect setup for commute.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8sp, as a do-it-all drivetrain?’ is closed to new replies.