Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alfine 8 in the cold
  • KZP894
    Free Member

My Alfine 8 hub appears to have shifting problems in sub zero temperatures, anybody else had this problem?

T1000
    Free Member

Most problems I’ve experienced have been cable related

1st winter I had some shifting issues which were improved by new cables …. However then went on to do a service and relub with ATF oil

Recommend looking at the hub stripping website home of hub gear geeks….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines fine in -8 up in aberdeen

Rohloff feels cold though

twohats
    Free Member

As said above, its usually the cable freezing.

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

any way o stopping cable ice-ing up ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Keep it well lubed keep the water oot

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Lube cables with glycerin?

avdave2

You can add a bit of the cleaning oil to the rohloff when it gets very cold to thin it out a bit.

mboy
    Free Member

Was a thread on MTBR a while back, seem to remember there were a couple of guys using Alfine 8 hubs in Alaska, down to about -35 or so. They had replaced the oil with something slightly thinner, and went to lengths to keep the cables from icing up, but were otherwise running them totally reliably iirc.

Almost certainly moisture in the cable freezing up in this climate I’m afraid. I ran an Alfine very reliably with a full length sealed outer cable.

ontor
    Free Member

run mine down to -8 with no problems with stock lube and full length cable outer at the time. It’s worth taking a bit of time to exclude water from the cable.

yossarian
    Free Member

Stick a couple of middleburn cable oilers into the cable run and purge through regularly.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Possible stupid question but does anyone know if you can strip out the internals of the hub (to service) with the wheel still built up, or is it necessary to de-lace the wheel?

Incidentally OP mine didn’t shift as well yesterday in -2temps as normal, not sure of the cause yet.

chrispo
    Free Member

If you flick the cable off the hub you will be able to tell right away whether the cable is to blame.

If so, cleaning and lubing might help in the short term but best to replace them IME.

scruff
    Free Member

Road warrior, no need to delace as all the internal come out as one- its easyish to take the hub inernals out, no special tools needed for mine just follwed the instructions fromr Tinterweb. Taking one apart is another matter…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alfine 8 in the cold’ is closed to new replies.