Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Alfine
  • luke
    Free Member

Are the Alfine hubs any good?
    Any problems with them?
    Is there a noticeable differnce over a standard setup?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Have a search – its been discussed few times.

I have one on a genesis IO ID I think its great – gear range is only the same as a 1×9 set up with an 11/34 casette. Its about 1lb heavier than an XT 1×9 but all that weight is in the rear hub – but I don't notice it riding.

It just works.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Apparently, it's going 11-spd next year with a better spread/closer to Rohloff, so maybe hold fire till then….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    StuMcGroo
    Free Member

like tj said it's been discussed a zillion times but now that you've bought it up….

i had a go on maverickboys yesterday, i was well impressed, only on the road mind so didn't get a proper feel for any extra weight on the back end and didn't want to bounce mboys bike up the kurb. on saying that, i held the wheel on it's own and was surprised at the lack of weight, don't forget it replaces the mech and cassette at the back.

shifter works in reverse (11 speed will be the right way round) and you do have to ease up on pedal pressure to change, on the road this took about 200 metres to get used to, not sure about the dirt but hopefully will find out soon.

gear change is slick and dropping down the gears whilst slowing down or stationary ready for a start from rest is a real plus point that i didn't think would be of any benefit until i used it.

i'm sold on the idea, will be waiting for the 11 speed though as i want the extra range, on saying that crc are knocking 8 speeds out for £150 which sounds a proper bargain.

andycs

will hub gear work well with full suss frame?

mollyiom
    Free Member

andycs – Member

will hub gear work well with full suss frame?

It will with a sprung tensioner.

Del

no.
    alright. longer answer = do a search.
    even longer answer = you can use one with tensioner as above, but then you have a flappy sprung thing hanging off the back of the bike, which we were trying to get away from, right?

ianpinder
    Free Member

Del – Yes, if the pivot is around the bottom bracket

mboy
    Free Member

Yup

Any problems with them?

Slightly wide gear jump from 5th to 6th gear, and you have to ease up slightly on the pedals to downshift, but you get used to this very quickly and it isn't a problem. Likewise the shifting the wrong way round, by the end of your first ride you'll have got used to it.

Define "standard"…

You've got 8 gears, not 27. These 8 gears give you roughly the same ratios as an equivalent 11-34 tooth casette (with an 18T cog on the hub, you can run between 16 and 23 on the back). So with only a single ring up front, it's the equivalent of running a 1×9 derailleur geared setup. I've geared mine down slightly, running 34T up front and 22T out back. Gives me the equivalent bottom gear of 22×27 and equivalent top gear of approx 32×14 when compared with "standard" gear ratios on a 27 speed setup.

i had a go on maverickboys yesterday, i was well impressed, only on the road mind so didn't get a proper feel for any extra weight on the back end and didn't want to bounce mboys bike up the kurb. on saying that, i held the wheel on it's own and was surprised at the lack of weight, don't forget it replaces the mech and cassette at the back.

It's not light indeed, but you really don't notice the weight in practice. Not unless you're used to 20lb race bikes I suppose! Can get mine in the air just as easily as any of my other bikes, and it doesn't feel any more rear end heavy than either of my full sus bikes. Hub on it's own was 1677g (yup, I weighed it!), shifter approx the same as a normal rapidfire shifter, and the rear cog approx 60g. You lose the weight of 2 chainrings, a front mech, a front shifter, a cassette, a rear hub and a few chain links though… Assuming Deore level kit, you gain about 1lb I'd say overall. If you were running XT, you'd probably gain 1.5lb.

The bonus is right now that because they're still relatively cheap, and they're still quite desirable, if you buy one and don't get on with it, you'll sell it the next day without losing much money on it. I've seen several sold 2nd hand now for almost new prices on ebay!

Oh, and cos all the gears are internal, you can treat the bike with about as much maintenance as you would a singlespeed! Ask Stoo up there, just how dirty my bike was… Hadn't been washed since it was built up 3 months ago and it all worked spot on! 😉

Del

Ian, i wear orthopaedic shoes. 😛
    ( stand corrected )

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

MaverickBoy – Ask Stu up there, just how dirty my bike was…

I didn't like to mention it 😳

del, sorry to gang up on you, though not ideal the the single wheel chain tensioner is a necessary evil to accomodate chain growth but isn't near as flappy or hanging out the back as a derailleur.

Clembo
    Free Member

I'm really interested in the new 11 speed version and registered interest with the lovely boys at 18 bikes. The port to change the oil on the 11 speed version sounds like a great improvement from a maintenance point of view.

epicyclo

You don't need a tensioner hanging down with an Alfine on a vertical dropout. Just get one of the eccentric bottom bracket kits being used by the single speed crowd. You may also need a halflink depending on your sprocket sizes.

Look here for them
    and here for how to calculate number of links required

If in doubt talk to a single speeder because they have to overcome the same problems as hub gear users when converting a vertical dropout bike.

mollyiom
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

You don't need a tensioner hanging down with an Alfine on a vertical dropout. Just get one of the eccentric bottom bracket kits being used by the single speed crowd. You may also need a halflink depending on your sprocket sizes.

Look here for them
    and here for how to calculate number of links required

If in doubt talk to a single speeder.

If you are running on a full sus like the OP asked you will need a tensioner

epicyclo

Figured the info would help someone, and OP didn't mention full sus.

luke – Member
    Any problems with them?

Del

del, sorry to gang up on you, though not ideal the the single wheel chain tensioner is a necessary evil to accomodate chain growth but isn't near as flappy or hanging out the back as a derailleur.

you'll make me cry!
    alright, i discounted frames like the kona a, cos there's not many about. aside from that i do know why you'd use a tensioner on a bouncer to run a hub gear, i just wouldn't want to.

if the OP had done a search, he could have read all about this stuff, without me having to be dragged across the coals. 🙂

now leave me alone, dammit!

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

epicyclo – Just get one of the eccentric bottom bracket kits

they look pretty smart, are they available in the uk and how much?

epicyclo

Stu McGroo – Member
    "epicyclo – Just get one of the eccentric bottom bracket kits"
    they look pretty smart, are they available in the uk and how much?

He's only a small manufacturer, so it's direct sales.

I bought one, can't remember the price, but it didn't make my eyes bleed 🙂

Nicely made, and comes complete with tool. I haven't fitted it yet .

The Excentriker (similar gadget) doesn't come with the special tool needed to instal it.

psychle
    Free Member

around £130 delivered as I recall? including the duty/VAT/ridiculous handling charge from Royal Mail… they're a nice bit of kit, look very good on a frame 🙂

With a full-susser, don't you have to account for chain growth? so a tensioner would be needed?

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

psychle –
    With a full-susser, don't you have to account for chain growth? so a tensioner would be needed?

yep, spring loaded one.

EDIT: unless your rear suspension is a single pivot, around the bb, kona A or BASS stylee.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Alfine’ is closed to new replies.