Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Aldi wetsuits – Sunday. Any good?
  • alanl
    Free Member

As subject, Aldi are doing wetsuits for £20 on Sunday, has anyone tried one?
    Worth bothering with?
    Ta
    Alan.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most likely a wetsuit shaped object. Like a BSO it’ll do for a summer holliday when all you need is to not get sunburnt, but dont expect it to offer any warmth as the fit will be looser as theres less stretch and the seams wont be sealed or blind stitched, or be particularly easy to move about in as it wont be anywhere near as stretchy as a decent quality neoprene.

winston
    Free Member

As above. Awful cardboard ‘neoprene’ badly cut double sided nonsense which will just allow the water to cascade through and chafe you when you move. Avoid.

For 10 quid more you can get a proper shorty here

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Or to offer a different perspective, I’ve done over 60 dives in my 20 quid Lidl shorty, all warm water diving (red sea, Thailand so 26-28C) and bagging my AOW and Nitrox tickets, it fits me better than many hire suits I’ve had and still looks new.

Lidl and Aldi have very good returns policy should you not like it after trying it on or even trying it out.

Wally

My £10 Aldi triathlon suit never held me back – Looked as well made as the £100 ones I was perusing in the stands. I will be giving the wetsuits a once over too.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Loving the snobbery on this thread already. I’m sure it’ll be absolutely fine. I’m going to have a look and probably get some for my kids.

Bazz

I’ve got a similarly priced Lidl one that is fine for infrequent use, sure it’s not as flexible as more expensive ones but it fits well and water most certainly does not cascade through it, it’s warm and it fits well. If i were wearing a wetsuit on a weekly basis then i’d spend more, but for the one or two outings mine gets a year it is more than adequate and a bargain.

jam-bo

Loving the snobbery on this thread already. I’m sure it’ll be absolutely fine. I’m going to have a look and probably get some for my kids.

So I’m guessing you only use aldi and lidl bike clothing then.

They might be good for £20 but they’ll be a world apart from a decent wetsuit.

drlex
    Free Member

@Winston – thanks for that link; needing a reasonable shorty for one of my daughters and their sailing gloves look very reasonable. I’d seen their dry bags being tipped for commuting/sailing before as an alternative to Alpkit.

alanl
    Free Member

They might be good for £20 but they’ll be a world apart from a decent wetsuit.

Thats why I asked – some of their stuff is really good – have you seen the gloves review in the latest mag?
    As for other things they sell, the capri / 3/4 running trousers are excellent, I use them in my kayak every time I got out. The MTB gloves are good (as in the review).The motorbike overtrousers are remarkable value at the £25 I paid for a pair – they’d be £100+ in any M/bike dealers.
    Other cycle clothing, never bought it, as I’ve got loads of other kit, but it looks decent quality, and will probably buy a cycling top layer for kayak use this weekend as they are reduced to £7.99.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Saltskin make some awesome kids wetsuits and they have various animal prints on them. Just bought some for 4 and 6 year olds. Got some on ebay for £38 each. Nice quality neoprene and actually fit properly.

Adult wise i’d advise against the aldi ones for this country.
    Budget wetsuit go with Gul / sola.

Spend a bit more like £80-120 for a rip curl / billabong 3/2mm and you’ll be looking at something warm and excellent quality neoprene.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

No, I only use Scott stuff as the value for money that it represents when on sale is incredible. I have had Aldi kit in the past and it was more than adequate.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Aldi wetsuits – Sunday. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.