Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Aldi torque wrench, anyone tried one before.
  • themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

Aldi have a torque wrench for £14.99 from tomorrow. I’ll probably go and pick one up, but would be interested to find out if anyone has had one of these before and any experiences, good or bad.
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_20979.htm

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Obviously it’s not suitable for anything on a bike (cars wheels etc yes). Apart from that I cant help you – sorry.

alexpalacefan

Why not suitable for bikes?

APF

jimw
    Free Member

Probably not suitable as it looks too large and range of torque is likely to be way too high for most bike applications which are in the region 4- 30Nm, mostly in the 4-15Nm for things like stem bolts, rotor bolts, suspension bolts etc
    😳

james
    Free Member

What jimw said, but in the 4-30Nm range .. (4-30nm being just a tad smaller value)
    Sorry being overly picky

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Why not suitable for bikes?

If this is like last years (looks like it) its a 1/2 drive with some proper big sockets:

3 x sockets 17, 19 and 21mm

It’s aimed at torquing up your car wheels – ie proper heaving into the 18″ bar before it clicks.

For a bike something in the range of 2NM – 12NM is ideal. As a guide it should probably be a 1/4 or at most a 3/8 drive. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torque-Wrench-Micrometer-2-24Nm-1-47-17-70lb-ft/dp/B000RO1ZCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309218049&sr=8-1

montylikesbeer

It looks like a 28/120 Nm, good for cassettes, bottom brackets, pedals and the big clunky stuff.

Got mine off ebay which is almost identical for £19.00 , so not bad value.

antigee

hand mine out yesterday (ooh err!) its a whopper and i cranked up an old octalink BB with it and felt jolly satisfied afterwards – as said above range not suitable most bike bits which are sensitive little souls

alexpalacefan

Thanks all, that will save me a trip to the shops

APF

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Sounds just the job to stop me shearing another crank bolt though!

chriswilk
    Free Member

not good for the big stuff. The bolts that hold the L/H crank on are specced at 12 to 15Nm (I think), so with a min of 28 it’s useless.
    I looked at mine the other night for this purpose.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

SRAM say its 48-54Nm for Truvativ cranksets, so still looking good for me.

aracer
    Free Member

not good for the big stuff. The bolts that hold the L/H crank on are specced at 12 to 15Nm (I think)

Well clearly that’s not “big stuff” then. Normal BB, cassette and ST crank installation torque is ~40Nm, hence I use my big wrench for those – I have a smaller one for the other things.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Aldi torque wrench, anyone tried one before.’ is closed to new replies.