Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • aldi gloves – why can`t other manufacturers do the same, for the same ?
  • mickyg
    Free Member

Hi, I`ve been looking at winter gloves. How come the Aldi ones seem to be so well received at £5 ? How is it they can make a winter cycle glove so good that other so called cycle specific manufacturers cannot ?

brant
    Free Member

Volume order, happy with a low margin (even loss leading?) price, short distribution chain.

Whyte1
    Free Member

but even with all that there is still a £25 shortfall

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Simon

The Aldi winter gloves have been my glove of choice for the last two winters.
    Padding is a bit thick at first but it packs down, long cuff to go under jacket sleeves and they are windproof, waterproof and warm, and they last for ages.
    Only downside is the relfective "biking" on them and you can only buy them once or twice a year.

scratch
    Free Member

Best winter gloves ever.

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

epicsteve
    Free Member

Got a couple of pairs of them myself and don't using anythin else in winter.

I've got a quite a bit of Aldi kit going strong – gloves, shoes, top etc.

Jamie
    Free Member

Only downside is the relfective "biking" on them and you can only buy them once or twice a year.

The letters peel off really easily. Just a bit tricky starting them off tho.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

the aldi bib tights seem to have lasted much longer than other brands i've had at more than 5 times the price.

samuri
    Free Member

How is it they can make a winter cycle glove so good that other so called cycle specific manufacturers cannot ?

Because everyone else is ripping you off?

fackit
    Free Member

+1

Kahurangi

speaking of which, are they dues any time soon, now?

jumping_flea
    Free Member

+1 for the best winter gloves I've owned
    Sadly they died on todays snowy ride – had them for 3years now so mustn't grumble!!

When are they going to be selling them again?

Jamie
    Free Member

I think its usually a seasonal thing…..but saying that i do not remember them getting any in stock before winter this year. Mine are holding up ok after a year or so, but never hurts to have a spare pair.

topangarider
    Free Member

Anybody else think they look remarkably like these?

Pricey version

Northwind

I've got a pair myself and tbh they don't measure up at all to my Antifreezes, I stopped wearing them a while back, good for the money but I wouldn't get another pair.

ac282

+1. They are ok and are brilliant for £5 but are not as warm as my seal skins.

tops5
    Free Member

Even better value (non winter) gloves can be had from equestrian shops obviously not designed with bikes in mind but suit me – grippy palms, sretchy backs for £3.00!

druidh
    Free Member

Like most of their bike stuff, fit is a bit iffy and quality is suspect. I've got some Aldi gear which has stood the test of time and some which has gone wayward after a couple of rides. Zips seem to be a particular failing. It's all much better then the stuff from Lidl though.

oldgit
    Free Member

Never seen the gloves?

Top marks for Aldis shorts liner, done hours in them. Then The socks. And this winter my missus bought me the Crane thermal jacket and that's bloomin good as well. I have bought 'branded' stuff that's not beena patch on their gear.

juan
    Free Member

Well a couple of thins about the price.
    Aldi stuff goes straight from the factory to the supermarket, therefore cutting a couple of people in the middle. Plus as mention above, they probably order massive amount from an existing catalogue. Then IIRC a tv program I have seen on aldi they use to cut prices by having no scan machines and by braking the cold chain (or whatever you call that).

stealthcat

I'd guess that they have the same stuff in all their stores at roughly the same time. Given how many stoers they have in Europe, that's a lot of stock, which pushes the cost per item down. Also, if the suppliers make a branded version of the same item, set up costs are reduced, and it's possible that the supplier keeps the machines running and just produces branded stuff when they get an order for it and unbranded stuff the rest of the time…

And yes, I do work in accounts for a discount retailer!

rickmeister

Aldi bibs and those skin tight sports underwear stuff is great. Cant beat it for the money.

sambob
    Free Member

not tried the gloves but crane waterproof + breathable trousers for a tenner!

topangarider
    Free Member

Whatever the reasons, bottom line is the gloves are very nearly as good as 'bike' brand ones at a fraction of the cost. Assuming they function ok (coldness is a funny one as it's subjective), durability doesn't matter if you can get 8 pairs of Aldi ones for the price of 1 pair of Gore IMO.

uplink
    Free Member

Aldi bibs and those skin tight sports underwear stuff is great. Cant beat it for the money.

I dunno, the bibs I got weren't made with my shape in mind – they seemed to have the pad somewhere around my belly button

vd

Complete pot luck. Shirts ok if occasionally hideous. Bibs I found had baggy crotch, too short in the leg and zips were rubbish – but then so are the DHB zips on their bibs, which I find less forgivable.

tinsy
    Free Member

did you have them on back to front? 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I must admit the last lot of padded shorts i got from Aldi were 'interesting' in their fit. They were obviously made differently as they had a black pad whereas my older ones had a blue pad.

DezB
    Free Member

Why buy Aldi when you can get a 50quid reduction on THESE
    Bargain!

cookeaa

+1 for the gloves and I have a Crane jacket…

Would have bough more of their stuff last time but I was a bit late and a lot of it had gone already…

RustySpanner

Have found the thin summer shirts to be horrible, but the shorts and bib shorts are excellent, thicker tops and zip-up jackets likewise.

I've got seven pairs of the socks on permanent summer rotation and the cheap hi-viz waterproof jacket is pretty good – breathable too.

Friends have said the SPD compatible shoes are fine, but I have lost the zip from the rear pocket of a winter shirt.

Obviously, none of it seems to be as well made as Gore for instance, but for the money I think it's great.

Isn't it usually March and September for deliveries?

Tiger6791

I have Aldi Gloves and Jacket

I am a Pikey!

Both items are my 1st choice over much more expensive kit I own

uplink
    Free Member

I've got a couple of long sleeve tops [Crane brand] that I think were marketed as Winter running tops
    They're at least 5 yrs old now & are still in near perfect condition – they make a great mid layer

chakaping
    Free Member

Like most of their bike stuff, fit is a bit iffy and quality is suspect.

No. Fit is perfect for me and they've outlasted gloves that cost a lot more.

It's handy that they say "biking" on as well, in case I forget what I'm supposed to be doing once I've got all lycra-ed up.

cheers_drive

Aldi Winter gloves are great, even better is the softshell jacket (if a little short in the arm). The bibs are a terrible fit though and only get used under baggies where the full nappy effect is hidden.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

got a LS jersy and a windstopper, both a size too big if I'm honest, but at £5-£10 a pop I'm happy. most of the winter I either wear just a SS jersy under the windstopper or the LS jersy under my RF-atlas jacket.

As for warmness of gloves, I found my thor summer gloves to be warm right down to baout -5, but as soon as there was even a hint of moisture they were freezing. I suspect as long as a glove is breathable and waterproof the actual volume of padding is fairly irelavent.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘aldi gloves – why can`t other manufacturers do the same, for the same ?’ is closed to new replies.