Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Aldi gear – today!
  • cookeaa

Just back from the Newbury Store, lots of stuff still left 20 minutes ago, although Medium sizes kit looked to be getting low…

Got myself some Lobster gloves, commuter socks and arm warmers and that was enough really…

There were 8 or 9 people engaged in a sort of cycling kit frenzy, two guys were furiously sifting the gloves obviously looking for their sizes, one poor woman was leafing through all the stuff while her hubby at the other end was obviously reeling off a list of stuff she knew nothing about… Cycling special buy days at Aldi/Lidl are the best!

£1.49 tortellini for lunch, 31p gummy mix for afternoon sugar rush… Nice!

binners

With the recommendations, it seemed churlish not to give the gloves a go. Got some waterproof socks, which seem indistinguishable from Sealskinz. We’ll see. At half the price, why not? Stocked up on GT85 too. 😀

The trick with Aldi is to pick the right store. There was loads off stuff in the central Burnley store near work. Looking at the waistlines of the people waddling around, I guess that cycling isn’t high on their to-do list. I know from experience that my local Aldi, at home, would have been cleaned out of all the cycling gear by 9.30 this morning.

soma_rich
    Free Member

My wife managed to secure me waterproof socks and wool socks. I am very pleased 🙂

squin
    Free Member

Just bought some ‘performance’ trousers…hoping for great things given my usual poor cycling performance!

cookeaa

“Performance trousers” are for something else…

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Performance stuff and the merino base layers were far too short in the legs and arms for me, but the other stuff fits OK.
    Have stuck with a soft shell, lobster gloves, compression base layer and winter cycling jersey.

I had the lobster gloves on in the office for a minute and my hands were sweating. May be for VERY cold days only.
    Loads left in the York Fulford Road store at lunchtime, which is usually unheard of. The students usually clear it out by 10am.

winston
    Free Member

Merino base top, Waterproof socks, gimp balaclava and winter gloves for me. The tops, jackets and leggings all looked a bit naff and badly designed

stumpy01

Might have to swing by my local store on the way home. I think there’s one near me, but not sure.

Don’t think there’ll be much left by the time I get there though!

winston
    Free Member

Lewes store had everything in all sizes at 3pm today – obviously people have too much money round here…..

Just got back and tried the socks and top – both seem pretty good to me with the top being slightly short in the arms which is fine for a base layer – can’t stand baggy sleeves getting caught up in my cuffs or getting soggy with rain driven in and a nice drop hem at the back

The balaclava is very gimpish VERY.

cookeaa

I had the lobster gloves on in the office for a minute and my hands were sweating. May be for VERY cold days only.

Did you try typing? I did… I’m Maaaad Me!!!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

ive been very disappointed with the longevity of most things ive bought from aldi over the years so I don’t bother any more, False economy IMO.
    and the clothing seems to be made for short but scrawny limbed types with chunky mid sections, Lol

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Lidl don’t take Credit Cards.

They do.

winston
    Free Member

But Aldi don’t.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Correct.

Euro
    Free Member

Aldi gear and no ikea.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Aldi gear and no ikea.

Boom.!

nick1962
    Free Member

There was loads off stuff in the central Burnley store near work. Looking at the waistlines of the people waddling around, I guess that cycling isn’t high on their to-do list.

Catch yourself in a mirror binners? 😉 Come season’s end you’ll treasure that one point.
    Just by way of balance the last time Aldi did the cycling offer I was at that Burnley store before 10am and it was rammed and all the bib tights and pretty much everything else decent had already gone.

stanfree
    Free Member

I hate to say It but I also think It’s a false economy the quality of the stuff is way below Planet X or Decathlon . All though the decathlon and Planet x stuff is marginally dearer at least It lasts. If you wanted cheap and were prepared to wait most of the Aliexpress stuff is decent quality and they do some non branded copies.

dannyh
    Free Member

Got my usual winter supply of two sets of winter gloves today. They’re not brilliant, but ‘pukka’ branded ones are not ten times better and don’t last ten times longer, so it’s a no-brainer for me. Got a base layer as well as my old helly is now so rank that I stink within ten seconds of putting it on. Aldi gear is what it is.

Plus a million for anyone who says the log splitters are shit, though. They can only split logs that are about half the claimed length, which i could easily do with a lump hammer and a brick bolster anyway. The damned thing was bent beyond all recognition after trying to split a log that was well within its claimed limits. I was slightly amazed at my own strength as I managed to fling it a good fifteen yards across the garden against a wall, though.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Maybe false economy but I grabbed some waterproof wooly socks, gloves, helmet liner, compression top, winter top, waterproof trousers, riding leggings and fluro jacket for 90 squid oh and gt40 at 1.99.

Gets covered in crap from the road, mud and dirt so if it lasts the winter I will be happy. All of this for half the price of a single enduro branded jacket (which I do love and has lasted well but it’s my best riding jacket for actual riding and not commuting)

grahamt1980

The waterproof socks seem pretty good. picked up a pair earlier. Not many in Stock though

stumpy01

Well, I thought I’d give the performance cycling trousers (really, leggings) a go. The pad is a bit odd, but will see what it’s like when riding. Rest of the fit is good and I think they have windproof panels on the knee sections.
    They feel like they will be nice and warm.

Also got the winter gloves. For a fiver, they have to worth a try.

Tempted by the performance cycling compression base layers but didn’t really need them. Would probably have just used them as winter thermals.

Still plenty of stuff left in the Stanground Aldi in Peterborough if anyone is thinking of having a look.

MoreCashThanDash

Ilkeston store looked like a bombsite. Gloves looked good again but still got previous years on the go, the armwarmers are OK, grabbed some GT85 and a couple of sets of the emergency lights to stick on the kids helmets as they have started using bikes to get to activities in the evenings

Very disappointed with the dark winter cycling shirts – last years was fantastic, perfect weight for autumn and spring, this years seemed thinner and the sizing has got bigger. It’s going back.

The hi-viz winter shirts are great for commuting but quite thin

dawson

just been to my local Aldi – quite a lot of stuff left – a lot tidier than normal – in the past, there has been stuff strewn all over the place from people pulling clothing out the packets.

I went for some of the cheaper leggings, the HRM, and a tin of GT85.

The pad seems ok, I went went for medium, so they are ok on my waist, but a bit short in the leg, so might take them back tomorrow and see if there are any large left.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Leg warmers and gloves for me.

Some women in my local store just loaded up a trolley of all the base layers…. Guess they go well at the car boot sale !! 😕 😕

eviljoe
    Free Member

Gave the socks the bath test last night, work fine. Will see how breathable they are on the first damp ride…

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Is this stuff one day only, or will it still be there today?

Garry_Lager

It’s there till it’s all sold, so will disappear quickly / slowly over the next couple of weeks, depending on the store.

Nae waterproof socks in the Didsbury one yesterday morning – I guess each store doesn’t necessarily get the full range.

cjr61

Gloves are great. Lobster ones look odd.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got me bibs! bought a medium fleece gilet (from a previous batch of out door tat) and it’s frickin mahoosive – hoping the bibs don’t go the same way.

ska-49
    Free Member

Bought some cheapo lights, gloves, soft shell and mudguards for the commuter.
    The Colchester Aldi still has huge amount of stocks in all sizes.

faustus

Got me some arm warmers for £8. Seem good quality, and wore them this morning to work – pretty happy with them.

A few people seem to get stuff every winter though, which seems a bit of a false economy. Stuff that lasts 2-3 winters doesn’t have to be 2-3 times as expensive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

My local aldo was rammed – some gloves as i dont need out else and some sealskins for the kids

D0NK

I hate to say It but I also think It’s a false economy the quality of the stuff is way below Planet X or Decathlon

jackets, baselayers and socks last forever (or untill they develop the nasty niff) the old gloves had a decent lifespan too. As I said before I have concerns over the stitching on the shorts I got in summer and the new gloves while much warmer (probably too warm 90% of the time) don’t wear well.

Jacket (which looks very good, standard sleeve cuff, no drafty fleece panel on the arms, decent fit [tho i could have done with M body with L arms] only slight downside is that it’s softshell all over, no fleecy breathable back panel) and lobster gloves for me. May go back for a bike stand tonight.

cookeaa

I hate to say It but I also think It’s a false economy the quality of the stuff is way below Planet X or Decathlon . All though the decathlon and Planet x stuff is marginally dearer at least It lasts. If you wanted cheap and were prepared to wait most of the Aliexpress stuff is decent quality and they do some non branded copies.

Meh… I used to be quite keen on Decathlon’s Bib shorts, less so now I’ve found DHB Pads suit my arse better, PX/OO stuff is variable fit and quality wise IME, I’ll probably get another pair of their overshoes for winter (last years are still OK) maybe a top, but only at clearance prices…

Cheap kit isn’t always lower quality, pricey kit isn’t always better, I tend to think of stuff like arm/leg warmers, gloves, winter jackets as likely to get damaged and hence not worth “Investing” lots of money in, Having tried Aldi’s winter Bb longs once (again on clearance) I wouldn’t touch them again They were warm but the fit was crap the pad was awful…

slowjo
    Free Member

I had D0nk’s problem. I needed a L body (shirt) and XL arms so had to go for the XL in the end. It is too big though not flappy. Interestingly, it seemed to grow last night as our ride went on and it got wet. The fabric isn’t very ‘technical’ (no surprise really) and it seemed to hold onto moisture. It is taking an age to dry (on the line) – all the other kit has dried and been taken in already.

Overall, fine for a tenner and if I don’t get on with it I’m sure my B in Law will use it. He is erm….wider than me!

ATEOTD it isn’t a big deal.

madxela
    Free Member

Wore the waterproof sealskinz clone socks last night in a very damp peak district ride.
    Fit – nice probably slightly tighter than sealz (which is a good thing)
    Breathability – fine
    Waterproofiness – not enough surface water for a proper test but sufficient puddles to show that they are indeed waterproof (vs cotton)
    Insulation – mid range (ie no merino lining, but thicker than the summer ones)
    Value vs Functionality twice as good as the branded ones so far. 😀

D0NK

Interestingly, it seemed to grow last night as our ride went on and it got wet. The fabric isn’t very ‘technical’ (no surprise really) and it seemed to hold onto moisture. It is taking an age to dry (on the line)

Jacket or jersey?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Picked up some of the 5 quid gloves, only had large though, and they. seem to come up small. Our store never seem to have the xl in anything. The leaflet showed 2 waterproofs, one at 20 quid and one at 30 that said breathable. The Macc store haven’t got the dearer one in though and said they won’t be. So I got the cheap one. Seems ok, but a generous cut, so may be a bit parachuty

ell_tell
    Free Member

Bedminster branch on Bristol had loads of gloves left, we’ll there were last night anyway.

Think aldi branches in Wales take credit cards as I’m sure I’ve used mine there before…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Aldi gear – today!’ is closed to new replies.