Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • airsoft – anyone know about it?
  • sadexpunk

my 15yr old has started badgering me for an airsoft gun. never heard of it before. he tells me its like paintball but softer pellets, and him and his mates will wear goggles, and all his mates thatll he'll be doing it with are sensible etc etc (yawn) 🙂

my nagging doubts are i dont particularly want him pissing about with any sort of gun unsupervised. we never let him have a bb gun and dont know how this differs, if at all. but i also realise he needs to be trusted a bit at his age.

is this the next 'big thing' or has it been out ages? are there supervised games anywhere, or is it just a load of chavvy tw*ts pretending theyre hard with guns?

opinions and experiences appreciated please 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

An arisfot gun is a bb gun.

I dont think its the next big thing, its been about for ages and from what I can tell its quite a serious/sensible sport that seems to be played alot by adults.

Its basically like real life countrer strike by the looks of it. You go out to an airsoft arena and shoot each other. Never played it properly myself but have messed about with mates before. Getting shot with a bb gun on the ear does hurt.

willard

You just run around acting like special forces with real looking weapons and shooting at each other, so I guess that bit is like paintball, but the pellets are smaller, made of solid plastic and don't go as far.

It has a rep for being a little sad and walty…

Think carefully about starting him on the journey.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Typically, enthusiasts will be somewhat well upholstered 45 year old men with jobs in accountancy or middle management looking for something that affords them the opportunity to get muddy with other men in rural locales and forget about the dull grind of the 9-to-5.

So, nothing like STW then. 😛

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Let him go for it, better than being sat at home playing gun games on an xbox. You arent going to kill anyone with a bb gun, they sting a bit if fired directly onto your skin though. I think theres a limit on the power of them anyway.

freddyg
    Free Member

One of my neighbours has recently taken this up as a hobby and I must say that (even as a 40+ chap) I'm tempted to go along for a look.

Supervised games are all over the place – this is my nearest centre: http://www.urbanassault.org.uk/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

haha, class picture

Rockhopper
    Free Member
    tron
    Free Member

The basic guns are powered by electric motors, but they fling the BBs at an astonishing rate. The BBs are bright yellow plastic though, not metal.

Done properly it's harmless fun – lots of old factories etc. get rented out for it, with organised games, and it's as the poster above said, a bit like real life counterstrike.

The flipside is that airsoft guns are often VERY realistic replicas of real life firearms, and generally the meatier ones – MP5s, M14s, AK47s, Glocks etc. They should be fitted with Orange things on their muzzles to make them look like replicas, but I expect they get taken off pretty quickly.

This means there can be big problems if he's daft enough to walk around in public with one. I basically would view it as requiring the same level of responsibility as a .22 air rifle.

Xylene
    Free Member

The sting.

A friend used to run an airsoft/paintball centre.

After a few whisky's we always ended up playing airsoft t-shirt free in shorts – male bonding 😳

Used to come out looking like a thousand mozzies had eaten us.

molgrips
    Free Member

An organised game of soldiers with bb guns, I'd be happy with. Him and his mates getting up to mischief with one – not so good.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It sounds to me like he should be encouraged to go to organised meets rather than start running around with his mates with them.

Where are they gonna use them for a start????

Cougar

Mate of mine's heavily into this.

The guns my mate has are replica guns, they look very realistic. They are, pretty much exactly, BB guns; The only difference is, they use 'soft' plastic ball bearings rather than steel ones. I could be wrong here, but I don't think there's anything stopping you loading these things with steel balls instead, if you were so inclined.

So the question is, is your lad a sensible chap or not? If he's generally trustworthy then I can't see any harm in playing soft-air at an organised. If he's the sort who delights in sticking bangers up cats' arses, then I'd respectfully suggest that you steer clear.

tron
    Free Member

A bit of a google suggests that you can hire the airsoft guns at some of the places that do it. That would be my choice. If I had a good replica of an M16 knocking about the house, and a teenage lad, I'd want to put it in a gun cabinet like a real firearm.

Cougar

The other thing, of course, is if you say no, he's probably going to do it anyway and either borrow the guns or save up himself and not tell you. So at least if you agree he won't have to lie to you and you'll know what he's up to.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So at least if you agree he won't have to lie to you and you'll know what he's up to.

So you allow it, he gets a gun, he gets bored of the 'approved' places he can use it, he takes it into town for a laugh, he gets arrested. I personally think that approach is dangerous.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can see that such an activity, like paintball, could satisfy the warrior urges in people, but I'd be a little concerned about treating 'war' as fun. Even playing Call Of Duty type games leave me feeling a tad disturbed; the real version surely cannot ever be considered 'fun' by anyone bar utter psychos. I'm not saying a bit of glorified cowboys and indians is all that psychologically damaging for young people, but maybe to purse such an activity on a regular basis might not be the healthiest option for a teenager. Depends on the individual temperament, I guess. Maybe for some it's the planning, strategy and use of cunning and guile that's the fun part, rather than the killing. Such activities do seem to be popular with frustrated office types however, which is a slightly worrying thing.

I do find it disappointing that many youngsters (and indeed adults) find the idea of destruction more appealing than creating something, I must say. Not that a person should necessarily spend all their time kitting or making scale models of the Houses of Parliament out of matchsticks, but the balance does seem to have swing toward 'destroy' rather than 'make'. Bit sad really.

I suspect I'd probably love a game of paintball/airsoft. One good reason not to do it, perhaps. I dunno.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So you allow it, he gets a gun, he gets bored of the 'approved' places he can use it, he takes it into town for a laugh, he gets arrested. I personally think that approach is dangerous.

Not all 15 year olds are morons.

sadexpunk

hmmmm thanks chaps. i suspect he's planning on running around the common or a field or something with his mates, in which case that looks like a no-no then.

dont think id have a problem with organised games.

thanks 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Of course, if you applied the Daily Mailesque 'smoking a joint once at a party leads instantly to Crack addiction' type reasoning, then it's a sure-fire(!) way into a life of gun crime.

Question to ask yourself: Is your son the next Raoul Moat/Derrick Bird/member of the Met Police Firearms unit?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not all 15 year olds are morons.

Agreed.

But most 15 year olds will push whatever boundaries you set so you give more, they inevitably take more.

donks
    Free Member

Also have a friend heavilly into this and one word of advice is if he gets into it then i hope you have the cash to sustain his now expensive hobby. like bikes it starts with the basics and soon spirals into "needing" all the gear which for airsoft nerds includes all the other military stuff like cammo, night vision, bloody throat mics and on and on….he spends absolutly thousands on it all and his house is like a commandos closet now.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

At the higher levels of the organised events, people in the armed forces use it in their off time to keep training up for urban combat, so i'm led to believe. One of the places in the SW even does it in a little-used Army base.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've done this.

As others have said they're basically very realistic automatic BB guns. There is a place near Peterborough which does organised events, which is great for watching portly middle-aged blokes doing Saving Private Ryan impersonations.

It doesn't hurt much unless the fat barsteward "mate" you go with decides to fire point blank into your knackers for a laugh.

We don't talk anymore.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can see that such an activity, like paintball, could satisfy the warrior urges in people, but I'd be a little concerned about treating 'war' as fun

It's not war though. It's war with all the bad stuff removed, so it becomes a simple sport. If people did get hurt, people wouldn't do it. I suspect people only enjoy it because they know no-one's going to get hurt.

Same reason I play GTA – no-one gets hurt. Doesn't mean I WANT to do it in real life.

sadexpunk

incidentally, whats the legal stance on this? hes just told me they want to play it on a bit of common land thats difficult to get to, so only they would be there.

im thinking that would be illegal?

cheers

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I agree with Molgrips – kids play war games from an early age – it is all about combat and proving yourself – all genetic urges inbuilt into us all. Done safely in the proper environment there is nothing wrong in it IMO.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would say he could get in trouble but no more than a slap on the wrist unless he injures someone then potentially you would be in trouble too for allowing him to have the gun (which I assume you would have to buy, him being a minor and all).

If it were me I would steer well clear of allowing him to have his own gun unless he was a member of an organised team and doing it on private land with proper adult supervision.

Cougar

We don't talk anymore.

…except in high-pitched voices?

whats the legal stance on this?

I suspect that running around in public with replica firearms might be frowned upon, no matter how 'difficult' it is to get to.

tron
    Free Member

Don't even think about it. I've heard of people shooting legitimately on private land, with "ordinary" guns having the police helicopter suddenly turn up.

A few lads with realistic looking assault rifles on public land is a recipe for disaster. Some are transparent or half painted orange, which helps, but there's nothing stopping a can of black paint being applied, and even without, it still has the silhouette of a real weapon. All it would take is one person walking past to phone it in on the basis of better safe than sorry and your lad would find himself surrounded by live weapons. Given the context, it's not unlikely that he could be swinging the thing about. Not a good idea. As far as I'm aware, it's pretty rare for the Police to get shot, because they're quick on the draw.

sadexpunk

thanks all

dont think there was any intention of him doing this supervised, so ive just told him its not going to happen.

cue one sulky teenager with a bit of chuntering going on. "you never let me do anything" etc etc etc 🙂

thanks (for ruining his life) 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Best decision, if you ask me. I'm just not comfortable with the 'going round shooting each other' thing really. I'm sure it's 'fun', but there's other fun.

Get him into mountain biking! Fun, healthy, exciting, inexpensive….

Oh, hang on….

soobalias
    Free Member

how very sad, grown men playing in the woods

tron
    Free Member

Wikipedia suggests it's not legal outside of a proper "site" with insurance anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issues_in_airsoft#United_Kingdom

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

how very sad, grown men playing in the woods

If it's alright by George Michael, it's alright by me.

cue one sulky teenager with a bit of chuntering going on. "you never let me do anything" etc etc etc

Ahh well, it will have happened to you once and he will be saying similar things to his kids one day (then he will remind you of this as you laugh over a pint). 🙂

Antonyfw
    Free Member

as long as you understand saftey and the law i'm not sure you need to prevent your child from owning one. I had an Pellet rifle as a kid and loved it. Had no problems, ever. Never shot anyone, never got in trouble with the police, never broke anything unintentionally. But then i never left the garden with it. Being in public is a different matter alltogether i feel. If you set bounderies and have clear understanding and trust with your kid there's a good chance you won't have any problems.

donks
    Free Member

Oh and one more point about this activity is that as far as i can tell you have to be quite into it and honest as you are firing tiny little yellow or white plastic balls at each other and it's quite difficult to see if you have actually hit any one so unless they fess up and leave the game you can get alot of cheating which then makes the thing a bit pointless.

Cougar

From my experience of watching kids play football on our street, where the rules seem to be that someone kicks the ball and then everyone else calls him a c–t, I suspect that the honour system is doomed to failure.

Again though, at an organised game, the cheats will be found out pretty quickly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But then i never left the garden with it.

Same with me – I had a couple of air rifles but I was forbidden from leaving the house with them – taking them out to play would be a recipe for disaster IMO.

tron
    Free Member

I had an Pellet rifle as a kid and loved it.

Same here. But, I was taught all the business about it being a potentially lethal weapon, never ever pointing it at things I didn't want dead etc. It also pretty obviously looked like an air rifle. And of course, it never left our land.

The thing that I really don't like about the airsoft guns is that they're decent replicas, and they're not quite real firearms. So the tendency is to show them off, shoot your mates in the arse and so on. It dramatically increases the chances of someone getting hurt – you could easily damage someone's sight with them, and you could easily have the armed squad out.

If I had kids, I'd personally be much happier with them having real airguns than airsoft.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘airsoft – anyone know about it?’ is closed to new replies.