Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Airshot or twin chamber track pump?
  • ChrisL

It appears that my early, hassle-free, experiences with seating and inflating tubeless tyres were a cunning ploy to lull me into a false sense of security. All more recent efforts have involved Fairy liquid, water, manic use of a track pump and swearing. Some assistance would hopefully make the process as trouble free as it used to be.

Given I already have a track pump should I get an Airshot or is there anything to be gained from paying more to get either the Bontrager or Topeak twin chamber track pumps? (I’m assuming that for the limited amount of use it’d get a compressor would be unnecessarily expensive and bulky but I could be wrong.)

legend
    Free Member

Both will work absolutely fine. I got the Bontrager so that I only have to fling one thing in the back of the van when heading off to a race or whatever

Yak

If your trackpump can get c 140psi easily, then go for an airshot.
    Pointless doubling up on pumps otherwise.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m assuming that for the limited amount of use it’d get a compressor would be unnecessarily expensive and bulky but I could be wrong.

I don’t have one, but the cheapest compressor at Screwfix is only £79.99, halfway between an airshot is £59.99, a Bontranger flash charger at £99.

I’ve got the big SKS 29″ump and it does fat tyres tubeless easily enough with a bit of foam so I’m not bothered, but a compressor for less than a track pump is a no brainer.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Remove the valve core when pumping like a maniac, helps get the tyre seated on the rim as more air can flow.

ChrisL

Yak – Member
    If your trackpump can get c 140psi easily, then go for an airshot.
    Pointless doubling up on pumps otherwise.

It gets my commuter’s tyres up at 100 – 120psi so I think it should handle 140.

Getting a compressor for the small amount of use I’d make of it seems wasteful, even if the thing itself is cheap. Not entirely rational perhaps, but it seems to be my gut opinion.

Yak

Yes – should be fine then. Tbh- at 120psi the airshot will seat tyres fine too. It’s also small enough to chuck in the car for events/races etc.

euain

The Airshot’s great at intimidating tyres. Since I got mine, I just get it off the shelf and sit next to where I’m working and, without fail, the tyres have gone up within a couple of pumps on the track pump.

Seriously though, it’s a great bit of kit. I like being able to use it with any track pump (or just shove it in the car and use the pump from my camelbak or someone else’s track pump) if I need to get a tyre inflated.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tried the airshot and liked it. Works well and very portable.

zilog6128

I don’t have one, but the cheapest compressor at Screwfix is only £79.99, halfway between an airshot is £59.99, a Bontranger flash charger at £99.

The cheapest I can see the Bontrager pump (in stock) is £75. Don’t underestimate how loud a cheap compressor is going to be (I have a cheap Screwfix one). Would be pretty unpleasant to use in a small garage without ear protection IMO. Personally if I was going to get something to take away it would be the Airshot.

ChrisL

Thanks for the advice everyone!

euain – Member
    The Airshot’s great at intimidating tyres. Since I got mine, I just get it off the shelf and sit next to where I’m working and, without fail, the tyres have gone up within a couple of pumps on the track pump.

😀

kimbers

if you need a new pump then get an integrated one, though ime the bontrager is crap as a track pump and hard to tell what your pressures are

poah
    Free Member

airshot is great

legend
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    if you need a new pump then get an integrated one, though ime the bontrager is crap as a track pump and hard to tell what your pressures are

What’s the problem with it? Can’t remember noticing anything wrong with the number the needle is pointing at?

cjr61

If you like making things then Ghetto Fire Extinguisher pump – cost me all of about £3 and that was for the stickers to bomb it!

Not for everyone though. It’s practically the same as the airshot so I can vote for the airshot 😀

woody2000

One of these will do the trick:

http://www.gelert.com/gelert-double-action-pump-784155

It has a long thin adaptor that fits inside a presta valve with the core removed, one good pump and the tyre goes straight up. I did both mine at the weekend using one, track pump was fine once I’d used the big pump to seat the tyre.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Airshot or twin chamber track pump?’ is closed to new replies.