Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Airport Express setup
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I am trying to play music stored on my Synology NAS on my Macbook, into my hifi amp, via an Airport Express.

At the moment, I can get the Macbook to see the AE, but how do I add the AE to my existing wifi? Using an ethernet cable to connect the AE to my wifi router is not an option as they are in different rooms.

Oh, and for those Synology users out there: I’d like to setup the AE as an output in Audio Station but at the moment it can’t even see it. How do I go about this?

Cheers.

fluided
    Free Member

What router do you have

My set up is a virgin media super hub plugged into a time capsule then that finds my airport extreme which has my WDCloud plugged into then I have two express plugs one upstairs and one in the kitchen.

I set this all up via the apple utility app on the mac book

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The AE has to be connected to your router via a ethernet cable, I believe. Another option would be to put the AE next to the router and run an audio cable from the AE to the hi-fi amp. Still involves a long cable, I know.

fluided
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

You can setup the AE different ways, either connected to your existing wifi network and then to a device via jackplug or Ethernet cable or via an Ethernet cable to your router and then the AE express can be another separate wifi network

So if your music is on your MacBook you should be able to connect to your hifi via a jackplug to the AE. You set the AE up on your wifi network via a utility on the MacBook. this is from memory when I configured my old AE (3 or 4 year old model)

mikey74
    Free Member

Hazaaarrr!! Done it. I just joined an existing network in the Airport Utility. I’m sure I tried that before, but anyhoo…

Setup:

Music store – Synology NAS >>> Macbook Pro >>> Airport Express >>> Denon amp via stereo RCA cable.

Once the AE joined the network, I selected Airplay and the output device in Audio Station.

mikey74
    Free Member

For those interested: I’ve just set it up on my Windows laptop as well. I just had to download Apple’s Airport Utility for Windows and selected “Multiple Airplay Devices” in Audio Station.

jwray

Have the same set up myself, works great. One thing to note. The airport express audio output is both RCA and optical digital. If your amp has an optical input you may get better sound that way. You need a mini-toslink to normal toslink cable.

Also, if you have a smart phone, the Sonology audio station apps allow you to push music without having to open the MacBook. And, finally, if you’ve got the internet connection for it at home, the audio station remote streaming works great.

J.

mikey74
    Free Member

My amp doesn’t have an optical input, but strangely the CD player (which is part of the same system) does.

I do have the AS app on my HTC.

jwray

Sort of makes sense, reuse the D/A converter in the CD player rather than having one in both the cd and the amp.

I have to admit I love the AS set up. I never have to go to my computer anymore to select music to stream, just control it from the phone.

J.

mikey74
    Free Member

Just set up AS on my phone to play through the AE as well **excited in a nerdy way**

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Airport Express setup’ is closed to new replies.