Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Airdrop spec
  • gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

I’m planning on replacing my 2015 Capra AL1 with an Airdrop Edit so would like some advice re spec please.

The 2.5k model comes with Yari forks and a RT3 shock. Currently I have Pike forks and the RC3 Debonair shock. Has anyone ridden both these combinations and could you tell much difference? I have done a test ride and didn’t notice anything but it was only a couple of descents. If you could upgrade one which do you think would make most difference?

I ride natural stuff in the Peak most of the time with the odd trip to bike parks or bigger mountains in the Lakes/N Wales. Looking for the bike to be fun and capable when descending at pace over the rough stuff.

Cheers

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d consider upgrading the rear shock to the coil. The yari will have a very linear feel anyway.

whippetboy
    Free Member

I test rode an Edit with the Yari fork and opted to get a Pike. I had a Pike on the bike I was replacing at the time and the Yari felt underwhelming when compared to this. I’d consider either the 150mm or 160mm Pike if you can afford it. Similarly, I opted for a Monarch RC3 plus (I think – the one with the piggy back chamber on it) and haven’t regretted it.

Ed seems to have the spec spot on for the stock builds so suspension aside, I’d trust in his judgement for the other components unless you have a real particular preference for something else.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As long as it’s not in need of complete replacement, why not just send the forks off for a service, sell the YT frame and swap all the bits over?

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

The bits on the Capra are Ok, but part of the reason for a new bike is to have everything new at once for a bit.

The coil looks a bit pricey…but tempting. Wonder how much extra weight it adds.

nickc

I’ve got 150mm Pike and RC3 debonair on mine, not in a rush to put a coil on it

Bagstard
    Free Member

How much extra for the pikes? Perhaps go with the yari (Lyric chassis) and source a lyric damper for it, quite a few pike CSU issues, my own included.

jamesfts
    Free Member

As per whippetboy I’ve got a 160mm Pike rtc3/charger and Monarch RC3 plus. I originally wanted to run a Lyrik but decided against spending the extra over the Pike. Spent the day smashing it down Cwmcarn last week and was thoroughly impressed.

Though I quite fancy the CCDB IL coil the above setup after a bit of fiddling around with volume spacers and setup does work really well, in fact pretty much as good as my Bos Deville/Kirk setup that it replaced which is impressive considering the price difference.

No problems with Pike CSU here yet – touch wood.

poah
    Free Member

The coil looks a bit pricey…but tempting. Wonder how much extra weight it adds.

my 216×63 monarch plus with hardware is 410g V 790g for the DB inline with a standard steel 400lb spring – you can knock 120g off that with the valt spring.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What did you go with? I think the new ones are landing very soon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Airdrop spec’ is closed to new replies.