Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Airdrop Edit owners?
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Ive been looking at the Edit V2s and had a couple of questions for any owners out there?
    1. Is there routing for external droppers as well as internal?
    2. Anyone tried it with the coil inline shock? How does it ride??
    3. How does it price up for custom builds? Is it cheaper to buy the frame/frame & fork and then look around for deals on groupsets etc or do they get a good price on all the components?

Im going to email them with a spec list and see what price they come back with but just interested if anyone else has gone down the route of custom build and if they thought it was good value doing it that way.

hainman
    Free Member

I looked at one
    Spec’d it and then found the Bird Aeris was cheaper by few 100 and had better spec
    Might be worth a look

jakehinton
    Free Member

Yeah ive been looking at the Birds too, kinda like the look of the airdrop more and the fact you can have a custom spec.

phil56

Hi Hainman – I can help with a couple of your questions

1. There isn’t – you could easily fit one though if you really wanted to. You’d have to use a couple of cable ties on the seat tube, and then use the side of the rear brake guides on the down tube. It could be done – but it would look minging!

2. It’s awesome! I’ve just come back from a week in the alps and got the chance to use it in it’s element – I’m massively impressed.

3. Can’t help with this – I bought frame/shock and a few other bits and bobs but built it up myself from parts I sourced.

I’ve been back from the Alps a week, but still buzzing by just how staggeringly good the Edit is.

honourablegeorge

jakehinton – Member
    Yeah ive been looking at the Birds too, kinda like the look of the airdrop more and the fact you can have a custom spec.

Bird do a really good job on custom specs for their bikes, you can change pretty much everything.

hainman
    Free Member

Hey Phil,cheers lol but I’m the proud owner of a Bird aeris

oldtalent
    Free Member

1 – no, I cable tied an old one on whilst waiting for my internal dropper. It looked terrible. The v1 has mounts for a cabling + a bit cheaper also but I would prefer the v2 personally for the only reason its newer.
    2 no i had a fox x2 I wanted to use.
    3 – no idea. Mine was a frame swap & I wanted to reuse all my bits, so no boost nonsense or metric rockshox. The bird had both these when I looked, so ruled it out for me.

sharkattack

I really like the Edit. I’d buy one but I’m scared that 27.5 is the next thing on the industries chopping block of obsolescence.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Phil56 What fork are you using? Ive just come back from my first Alps trip, pretty amazing, sure the Edit would be spot on out there!

phil56

JakeHinton
    I have a 160mm Pike on at the moment – it was fine, but I think out classed by the coil on the rear. I might think about a coil conversion for the Pike – although while I was there I had a long chat to the Ohlins guys, and their new coil fork looks very tempting!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sharkattack – Member
    I really like the Edit. I’d buy one but I’m scared that 27.5 is the next thing on the industries chopping block of obsolescence.

Stans just released their new rims with a 26″ option. Panic is over rated.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Can’t really answer your questions, but I can highly recommend the edit, very confidence inspiring and very quiet. The length of it makes it a comfortable place to be on climbs and keeps the front wheel down. Bird are also great and the Aeris was my other option, but as I was only buying frame and shock there would be issues with boost.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

joebristol

Edit looks great to me and is good downhill. I had the same debate with myself about swapping my existing components over to an edit (I had non boost / non metric stuff) or go for a full build on an Aeris.

I didn’t think a coil shock matched the Yari on the Edit I had a go on.

dizcostix
    Free Member

I can only answer question 2: I have the CCDB inline coil and it works really well. I bought the v1 frame and fitted my own shock before Ed started supplying them with the inline coil.

I needed to go up 50lbs in spring weight over the various spring rate calculators and Ed actually advised this when i chatted to him about using the coil.

I had issue with the cane creek springs though, they are quite long for the 550lbs spring and difficult to fit/remove. I ended up buying a Super alloy racing enduro spring which I would recommend!

mark90
    Free Member

Interesting that people like the Edit with a coil. My mate has stuck a load of bands in his air shock to get a more progressive spring rate on his Edit. Different strokes for different folks and all that 🙂

rob8624
    Free Member

I bought a V2 edit with a coil, lyriks, XT spec, which cam in around £3400, I was looking at buying a Nomad but I couldn’t get anywhere near this spec at that price. The bike is amazing I think, such a solid ride that just eats up the terrain and the geo is spot on. I live near Afan and use it for all styles of riding, trail centres, stuff in Brecon, enduro stuff, it handles everything, the coil works really well, makes climbing techy stuff almost too easy.

I’d buy a Bird or Airdrop over more fashionable brands anyday, I was at BPW a couple of days ago, and it’s so nice to own a bike that is different from most there.

Ed is a great guy to deal with also.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Dizcostix, I would probably be on a 350 or 400 spring so hopefully wouldnt have the issue with fitting/removing?

Nice spec rob! Sounds pretty reasonable, I just emailed Ed with a spec list to see what sort of price he comes back with, though im probably leaning towards frame or frame & fork bundle.
    All the replies are certainly not putting me off getting one!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Airdrop Edit owners?’ is closed to new replies.