Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Aircraft / Altitude question
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

I fly a lot and have noticed that on long haul I suffer a peculiar physical side effect. No matter what I eat or drink I get the most enormously bad wind.

It’s like I’ve eaten two tins of beans washed down with guinness.

Now, coming home from San Fran at the weekend gave me a idea. You see I can go to the galley and snack but the crisp packets were blown up like balloons a few hours into the flight.

So assuming the lower air pressure causes the crisp packs up expand am I safe in thinking that the same low pressure is causing farts to be drawn out? I literally do fart almost constantly on long haul, and often for a few hours after landing.

Short haul I’m fine.

Everyone complains about breathing people’s farts on an aircraft – but I’m thinking physics is to blame. Anyone like to comment on my theory.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Try spending the night in a high-altitude mountain hut sometime for the conclusive proof of your theory! 😆

weirdnumber
    Free Member

High Altitude Flatus Expulsion.

neilnevill
    Free Member

sounds about right to me

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Anyone like to comment on my theory.

Yes, I think “physics is to blame” is an excellent theory……..I would stick with it if I were you.

john_drummer
    Free Member

stop eating the beans

TuckerUK
    Free Member

On the other hand it could be connected to that night you spent passed out near the Pink Flamingo bar in LA?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Look. I’ve tried to be careful about what I eat. For the last few flights I’ve eaten nothing that is a trigger. But I still fart like I’ve a gas cylinder up my bum (which for Ernies sake I’d like to say I haven’t).

Physics must be to blame. If the high altitude/reduced pressure can make a crisp bag blow up like a balloon surely, by default, it could somehow make my farts greater in volume?

I used to think it was just me. But the crisp bags have made me think otherwise.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Tucker – my sphincter is thoroughly intact. It’s not a looseness that is the problem, more the volume.

Crimping is impossible. There’s just too much to not need to almost constantly sneak one out from under the blanket.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yup, aircraft seats are stuffed with a material (charcoal) that absorbs odours/smells/bacteria, the seats weigh a kilo more when they’re scrapped*!

*possible urban myth.

convert

Military pilots (unpressurised cockpits) wear dry suits when flying over water. A favourite trick after a sortie is to crack the wrist seal of the suit under the nose of an unsuspecting newbie ground crew member. Impressive levels land dwellers would struggle to meet no matter how many beans were consumed.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’ve just remembered a friend who does high altitude (oxygen assisted) parachute drops had a tooth explode because the air inside a cavity was at far greater pressure than the air outside …well, that what he said anyway.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Physics is to blame. Its known as High Altitude Flatus Expulsion. The higher differential in pressure between your insides and the external pressure gives you the urge to expel the gas. Its often experienced by climbers as mentioned.

andyl
    Free Member

you could try eating foods that give less chance of farting before you fly. Should help reduce the gasses in your bowels.

zippykona

I live 40m above sea level and even that seems high enough for lots of trouser trumpets.

chopperT
    Free Member

Cabin pressure altitude will not be higher than 8000ft, and will most often be lower. Short or long haul should make no difference, as this CPA will always be reached.

I have no idea if that is enough to cause “HAFE”.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I live at Sea Level and I visit Trumpington regularly.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

this isn’t just a willy-waving thread along the lines of “look at me, i take lots of long haul flights!” and “i’ve found an excuse to fart in public!”, is it?

stumpy01

I get like this after flying – doesn’t have to be that long haul, either. A 4 hr flight will have me trumping for England!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Aircraft / Altitude question’ is closed to new replies.