Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Air vs Coil? 36 Van vs 55 CR?
  • carbonroadrat
    Free Member

I’ve never owned a set of air sprung forks and just getting back into riding mtb’s after a good few years out the loop. So I’m no longer as clue’d up with all the fork ranges as i used to be.

One thing i’ve noticed is that Air sprung forks seem to be much more common now over coil forks. I’m sort of stuck in 2007 and I’ve never really trusted air forks. To me nothing really beats coil forks. But is that really still the case? Anyone here still a die hard coil user?

I’ve got a 26″ Nomad carbon frame to build up and been looking for 160 coil forks but the 36 van only seem to come in 180 now and theres no way i’ll pay for them brand new. 180 travel is just too much for me really. The altrenative is a set of older 160mm 36 vans ive seen for sale as new old stock.

Then this brings me to Marzocchi… What happened to them? They really dont seem to have as big a presence here in the uk as they once did? I’m sure circa 06 things where different. Seems Rockshox and Fox have got a dominance now.
    I had been looking at the 55 CR fork as theres a good deal for me on the 2014 model but I still cant make my mind up wether I really want to use an air sprung fork.

So its 160 Fox Van 36’s VS 2014 Marzocchi 55 CR’s. Coil vs Air spring. I can get either of these forks for the same price (not telling where incase you buy them!).

Are there any other good 160ish travel coil forks that ive completely missed??

Would appreciate anyones experience of either forks!

mucker

I have a very nice set of Marzocchi RC3 V2 EVO ti forks with 170mm travel for sale.
    Check out the reviews.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

X Fusion Vengeance HLR would be another option. The 55 CR has very linear air spring and uses a negative coil spring which gives a very plush feel.

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

Thanks mucker but im not buying second hand.

Frosty – any other coil forks other than lyrics worth checking?

mucker

Nae bother.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Not really but you would be surprised how good modern air springs are.

Especially the Aer Marzocchi

jimjam
    Free Member

OP, since you’ve been out of the loop for a while I would direct your attention to the likes of the Enduro World Series (never mind World Cup DH) where most if not all of the elite riders are racing on air forks.

I remember a time not so long ago when long travel air forks were a nightmare, this is no longer the case.

carbonroadrat
    Free Member

jimjam – yep ive been doing a lot of catching up and see all the pro enduro riders on air forks. But I’m a bit cynical in thinking they have the back up of a team mechanic and an endless supply of new parts should things break!

jimjam
    Free Member

Well I’m sure the top few are well supported but they aren’t allowed any outside assistance during racing. Also most of the non factory riders have to do with little or no such support. I know a top 20 rider who’s now on a factory team, all he got from his sponsors last year was a bike. He raced pretty much the entire EWS on one fork, serviced by himself.

Another few guys who raced all the european rounds of the EWS, Superenduro and a few others same story. Mechanicals happen of course.

Superficial
    Free Member

Air springs are fine from a reliability point of view (no issue there), and since the manufacturers figured out negative springs, they feel nice too. Plus they save loads of weight which is important since we all ride uphill these days.

In sure you’ll get someone chiming in extolling the benefits of coil but they’re the minority.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I haven’t used a fork with a coil in it for trail for a few years now. The performance and reliability is there and sorted. Except for the die hard fans I reckon they are just about finished in the main stream.

stevied
    Free Member

I swapped my Van 36’s for a set of Lyrik RC2DH’s last year and they are brilliant. I was a little concerned about changing from coil to air but the newer air forks are really very good. If you’re after 26″ I wouldn’t discount the Lyrik as an option.

robfury
    Free Member

If you are north of 16stone I d look at coils. I couldn’t get air to feel balanced for me as I had to have the pressures too high

smatkins1
    Free Member

Air shocks also seem to be appearing on the rear of bikes you would only every usually consider putting a coil on before. Santa Cruz V10s for example.

No reason not to trust Air forks. I bet you’d be pleasantly surprised if you could get your hands on a modern long travel air fork for a bounce.

If you’re not bothered about the weight and are looking to save a bit of money/stick to what you’re used to there’s no reason not to stick to a coil fork.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Can only echo the sentiments expressed above. I went to the trouble of fitting my old Spesh Enduro with a coil Romic shock to match the coil Pace forks up front.

I had the Fox Float PUSH tuned and switched to an air sprung Pike and the bike felt even better still and was lighter to boot.

That was ten years ago, I’ve not owned a coil shock or fork since. Air sprung suspension is reliable and offers an additional tuning option if you want to mess around with air volumes to add progression to a spring curve.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Air vs Coil? 36 Van vs 55 CR?’ is closed to new replies.