Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Air-sprung forks and temperature.
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I've noticed thst my Reba's seem to go somewhat 'dull' when the temp drops close to zero. They are fine when set up in the warmth of my kitchen but outside in the cold they feel a bit odd. It's as though i've too much air in them or something.

Is this a real phenomena or am i imagining it?

benji_allen
    Free Member

Air expands in the heat. You should also check your cars tyre pressures when it gets cold.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Now that was my first thought – air expands when hot so in theory the forks should 'stiffen up' when the temperature hits the mid 20's say?

Why is it doing that when cold though?

druidh
    Free Member

The air is more dense? Any lubricant is also thicker

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It could be the oil in the system as well – good point Druidh!

The fork does seem less lively when cold, maybe i should compensate by putting 5psi less in the positive chamber?

Kahurangi

pv=mRT, so pressure's proportional to T (in K), so the difference between indoors and freezing is less than 10%. The difference in the viscosity of the damping oil might have more of an effect.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hmm, i've recently dropped in about 4-5ml of oil into each fork leg via the wiper seals – i wonder if this added to the low temps has caused the strange feeling in the fork?

Felt rather 'wooden' today, not like it normally does at all.

PJ266
    Free Member

I should think its the oil.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think it's the oil as well.

It was pretty cold here this morning and my Float's definitely seemed stiffer than usual.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Air-sprung forks and temperature.’ is closed to new replies.