Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 322 total)
  • AIBU – neighbour issues take 37.
  • Cougar

I live in a terrace. Next door but one have taken it upon themselves to build a … structure on top of their garage. It’s maybe six foot high (above the garage) and with a floorplan the size of the entire garage, constructed fairly randomly out of lengths of 4×2, fence panels and chicken wire, and appears to be a pigeon loft.

1) would this sort of thing require planning permission,

2) AIBU in thinking “WTF” and objecting on the principle that it’s a bloody eyesore or am I just being a curtain-twitching grumpy neighbour,

3) what would an Asian family want with a pigeon coop? Whilst I live in East Lancashire they hardly fit with the stereotype of racing pigeons, whippets and cloth caps.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Point 3) is going to set the cat amongst….

philxx1975
    Free Member

Takeaway owners ?

slowoldman

Perhaps it’s a pig pen. Er no. Wait.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Samsung phone test facility?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1) ask the council
    2) all 3
    3) call UKIP (the friendly arm of the casual racist society)

bearnecessities

Asian family

We’ve not had a repigeon thread for a while.

nonk
    Free Member

Can you not just casually ask them what it’s for in a friendly neighbourly manner
    And then decide whether or not you want the thing burning down

Cougar

1) ask the council

I was trying to gauge whether it was worth bothering the council first, hence the question.

3) call UKIP (the friendly arm of the casual racist society)

I mentioned brown people ergo I’m racist. Good work.

The point in 3) was, is there some cultural thing that I’m not aware of? Owning pigeons is the sort of thing I expect my granddad might’ve done, but I’ve never heard of pigeon fancying being big in the Asian community. I was looking for an explanation rather than cheap shots.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Thought garden sheds and structures had to be below 2.5m if they’re close to the boundary, I’m guessing as it’s a terrace then it’s going to be close to the boundary.

Not unreasonable to want it removed on the grounds of it being an eyesore, 6′ above a garage (so probably 12′ total) is a big structure for a back garden and they are taking the piss regardless of how much they love pigeons.

Cougar

It’s probably adjoining next door but two, yes.

12′ isn’t a bad estimation.

I’ll take a photo in the daylight tomorrow.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maybe the fancy giving it a go…. as for ask the council it’s the simplest and quickest as it will probably depend on a lot of stuff like local dev guidelines and if it’s actually well enough made.

Cougar

if it’s actually well enough made.

It looks like a hobbyist build. It’s triangulated and all, but the joints are… optimistic.

falkirk-mark
    antigee

what would an Asian family want with a pigeon coop

chickens rather than pigeons is probably the answer

totalshell

not uncommon in rochdale.. you ll see a change of use to a domestic dwelling but still a garage in the coming weeks/months. i ve dealt with four in the last couple of years. all added windows/removed garage doors to existing stand alone garages then added pitched rather than flat roofs and bingo grandma moved in.. it has to be said 50% of these were ‘built’ by anglo saxons. i noticed this week that one now has the no. 12a where the garage door used to be. they even put a consevatory on the back for grandad..

m0rk
    Free Member

pellet gun?

senorj

Chinchilla house?
    Have you considered asking your neighbour ?
    Pics please? 🙂

darrell
    Free Member

Im more interested in the use of the Mumsnet acronym AIBU

tomd
    Free Member

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable not to want a shanty structure built next to your house.

scaredypants

Obvious really

They’ve read McMoonter’s work and fancy a pet barn owl

deepreddave
    Free Member

Mumsnet acronyms on STW is a natural evolution.
    Are neighbours who do stuff like this genuinely unaware that their neighbours may not welcome such a structure or is it more IDGAS? Either way I wish you luck in getting it removed or cooping with it….

theocb
    Free Member

Not meant as a dig BUT on a PC level, at what point do your neighbours become British people rather than Asian?

martinhutch

It will be even more annoying when he sticks his cock in there to wake you up rudely every morning.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I mentioned brown people ergo I’m racist. Good work.

Listen to Mr Touchy!

UKIP have a bit of previous when it comes to irritating people of colour, so not unreasonable to suggest that parachuting them in to deal with your neighbours might be a goer.

And you did mention they were asian…

ElShalimo

If it is for hens then you’ll have a noise nuisance in no time. This happened on our street when we lived in Leeds. At first it’s funny but after a while it’s just annoying.
    Maybe you need a climbing fox?

jekkyl

*awaits picture*

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It’s sad that people are trained to be so PC sensitive that the mere mention of a race makes them jump up.

Be a tad smart and decide if something’s racist before pointing fingers and shouting’oi!’.

cubist
    Free Member

Not all pigeon fanciers fit the flat cap stereo type and I bet none of his neighbours have got the nerve to complain.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Once it’s built arrange a firework display, every night until it’s removed.

HTHs

Neighbours, PITA.

Cougar

chickens rather than pigeons is probably the answer

If it is for hens then you’ll have a noise nuisance in no time.

It’s pigeons, I’ve seen them.

Wookster

Nope I’d call the council. I’ve got no issue with race nor do you…..but a shantytown pigeon hotel is another matter…

otherwise I have a plan you’ll need the following…..

+

+

Job jobbed….

=

Cougar

There’s good eating on a pigeon.

DezB
    Free Member

Council web sites usually have info about what needs planing permission and what doesn’t, I’d do some investigating before calling.

He was sooo careful how he worded it.. and still they called him racist 😆

DezB
    Free Member

re: pics. even in Grotty Street that looks rather grotty.

jamj1974

Yes even as one of the liberal leftie wets of STW, I think that’s a piss take. No, your comment wasn’t racist towards Asians. Yes I would call planning dept. I don’t care what the **** that’s for TBH. It’s not considerate of anyone else.

darrell
    Free Member

Health n Safety issue

looks unstable in high winds

blah blah

hammyuk
    Free Member

That would fall foul down here of planning (but then hammering a nail in the wall does).
    Website will definitely have the permitted details on there outlining heights, etc.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Looks permanent to me.

The wooden panels are there as a distraction, behind it they’ll be a whole steel structure and glass edifice complete with £300,000 artisan staircase and “optimal air flow drying area”.

George Clarks shed programme in your area by any chance ??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 322 total)

The topic ‘AIBU – neighbour issues take 37.’ is closed to new replies.