Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Ahhh the moral absolutism of religion
  • bwaarp
    Free Member

9 year old girl excommunicated for having an abortion after being raped, the rapist on the other hand is not.

http://brandtstandard.com/2012/05/25/brazil-catholic-church-excommunicates-mother-of-9-year-old-rape-victim-for-approving-abortion/

wtf

joolsburger
    Free Member

Rapists do well in the catholic church so it’s no surprise.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The Catholic church becomes more of a satire of itself with every day that passes….

can’t believe the gall of it….

surfer
    Free Member

Sadly I can.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Sadly I can.

At one point Richard Dawkins made me uncomfortable, I’m really starting to come round to his intolerant point of view now.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

if only religion was irrelevant – that’s why aetheists get so angry – the fact that belief in a few fairy tales can end up having so much effect on the world around them…

Junkyard
    Free Member

well they made the right choice following their rules

Shows how shite their rules are.

bwaarp
    Free Member

This kind of crap would make me go postal in the vatican if I had a terminal disease, I really mean that.

The rapist….as much as he his a monster….is entitled to a trial….I can’t say the same about the Vatican.

Northwind

I’d like to think all involved said “Well **** you then catholic church” and became pastafarians.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is it not a bit weird to be disagree with someone being excommunicated from the church if you believe the church has no meaning ?

9 year old girl excommunicated for having an abortion after being raped, the rapist on the other hand is not.

The girl was not excommunicated.

(At least not according to the article you linked to)

vinnyeh

I think you’d be doing well to find much support for that view anywhere outside of a very small portion of the leaders of the Catholic Church.
    This is where the anger should be directed.

Spin
    Free Member

This kind of crap would make me go postal in the vatican if I had a terminal disease, I really mean that.

The rapist….as much as he his a monster….is entitled to a trial….I can’t say the same about the Vatican.

Are you not exhibiting a bit of moral absolutism yourself there?

I’ve already forgiven them which will hurt them far more than running amok in the Vatican.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is it not a bit weird to be disagree with someone being excommunicated from the church if you believe the church has no meaning ?

I thought the same. Excommunication means that the person can’t receive holy communion, I’m a bit baffled why some people on here should be outraged by that – unless of course they are catholics.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Boils my blood, although they did the poor girl a favour being excommunicated. Who would want to be part of an organisation after that anyway.

nealglover
    Free Member

I thought the same. Excommunication means that the person can’t receive holy communion, I’m a bit baffled why some people on here should be outraged by that – unless of course they are catholics.

Exactly, just seems a bit strange to me how people who disagree with religion can get wound up about this 😐

crankboy
    Free Member

“just seems a bit strange to me how people who disagree with religion can get wound up about this”
    +1 to this. Practising catholics think it is better for a 9 year old girl to die during labour taking her unborn fetuses with her rather than have a life saving operation . Practising catholics think that the mother who consents to her childs life being saved and the Dr who saves the child should not be in their gang .

This is entirely their business the rational world should just shrug it’s shoulders and move on. Nothing new to see here. I’m glad the catholic religion has no place in ,defining morals, the education of the young or the formulation of our laws

Junkyard
    Free Member

I did not realise you needed to belong to a group or be directly affected in order to speak out

Thanks for the clarification

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Utterly stupid comments about people getting upset about a religion, its more about how they treated an innocent 9 year old girl and punished her and not her attacker. Idiots 🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

You don’t need to belong to the group to comment.

I’m not for one minute saying people can’t have an opinion, I’m just saying I find the logic behind the opinion difficult to understand.

It just seems strange how people seem to be horrified by someone being excluded from something they think is totally bogus and meaningless.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well of course Junkyard you can speak out in support of the doctor’s and the judge’s right to receive holy communion, if it bothers you that much. I’m just understandably surprised that it does bother you.

Spin
    Free Member

It just seems strange how people seem to be horrified by someone being excluded from something they think is totally bogus and meaningless.

What if the individual is being excluded through no fault of their own and does not want to be excluded? That would be wrong even though the thing they are excluded from is bunkum.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

its more about how they treated an innocent 9 year old girl and punished her and not her attacker.

But they didn’t. In your outrage you forgot to read the article properly.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

if only religion was irrelevant – that’s why aetheists get so angry – the fact that belief in a few fairy tales can end up having so much effect on the world around them…

This

nealglover
    Free Member

What if the individual is being excluded through no fault of their own and does not want to be excluded?

Well considering the people who seem to be most appalled are people who dislike religious indoctrination of children.
    Then surely the girl is better off now ?

(Even though she’s not actually been excommunicated)

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered debating this with pompous contributors.

nealglover
    Free Member

Which ones are those.

The ones that can read articles accurately ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Member

To be fair you couldn’t even be bothered to read the article properly.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Are you not exhibiting a bit of moral absolutism yourself there?

I’ve already forgiven them which will hurt them far more than running amok in the Vatican.

Good point.

Which ones are those.

The ones that can read articles accurately ?

My mistake, I still think it’s just as outrageous that they excommunicated the mother and the doctors. My outrage meter went berserk. :mrgreen:

Other than that, those who made the point that if your an atheist you shouldn’t care that they were excommunicated. Fair point, although I’m willing to bet the poor mother was hurt by it going on my experience with Brazilians.

A lot of people still take their faith very dearly and I’m sure issues like this cause a lot of harm emotionally in the religious world – an organization treating people with such contempt disgusts me. The leaders of various churches seem to be hell bent on making themselves irrelevant as fast as possible.

duckman

Even by the normal religion thread standards this one went down quicky, ah well; I have no useful contribution to make as they say.

convert

Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, the conservative regional archbishop for Pernambuco where the girl was rushed to hospital, has said that the man would not be thrown out of the Church, because although he had allegedly committed “a heinous crime”, the Church took the view that “the abortion, the elimination of an innocent life, was more serious”.

Well, I guess that is their view but also the opinion of a sizeable proportion of pro-lifers. Personally I’m just glad the pro-lifers have not currently got their way with our law makers. Couldn’t give two hoots about the excommunication but would struggle to have a rational debate with someone with those sort of views.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…although I’m willing to bet the poor mother was hurt by it going on my experience with Brazilians.

She quite possibly saved her daughter’s life – I doubt whether she’s that upset.

This absurd and ridiculous decision isn’t a reflection on the power of the church imo, but the opposite – its weaknesses. Most catholics and/or Brazilians will see it for what it is – an absurd and ridiculous decision, that can only undermine the credibility of the church’s hierarchy.

geetee1972
    Free Member

But in the eyes of the atheists they haven’t punished her.

bwaarp
    Free Member

This absurd and ridiculous decision isn’t a reflection on the power of the church imo, but the opposite – its weaknesses. Most catholics and/or Brazilians will see it for what it is – an absurd and ridiculous decision, that can only undermine the credibility of the church’s hierarchy.

I really hope you are right.

Really???? I think atheists can see the punishment without themselves believing in god – if excommunication is a big deal to those involved.

It’s also the moral philosophy underpinning the decision that gets under my skin though. This kind of thinking ends up legitimizing these views in the eyes of religious idiots everywhere.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Islam doesn’t seem to have these ethical dilemmas,not in Saudi anyway

And this thread just hit an even darker level.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Something seems a bit fishy with this story can anyone else find another credible source? There are lots of stories of a 9 year old girl in Mexico giving birth a few days ago. That seems like a monumental coincidence given the rarity of births to mothers of this age.

Scratch that. The independent is also reporting it. Still a bizarre coincidence.

surfer
    Free Member

I think most people can empathise with the suffering they are trying to inflict on her even if they think she is deluded in her belief.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Time magazine as well, granted that it seems to be fairly old news.

Cougar

Islam doesn’t seem to have these ethical dilemmas,not in Saudi anyway

I’m not exactly seeing what Islam has to do with that story, other than it being in Saudi.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Can I also just say that the way some people and tarring the whole church because of the comments and actions of a few is blatant prejudice. It’s a bit like saying all black men are rapists because of one report of that happening.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Ahhh the moral absolutism of religion’ is closed to new replies.