Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ahem… Arthurs Seat
  • ojom
    Free Member

say…
    a few people just happened to bump into each other up there one night
    and decided to have a play at doing some DH on the top section

do…
    you think that they would get busted
    and would they annoy the tourists who are up there – although there may be a general thought that this would be done later in the day when it was dark and they were using lights…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hypothetically I think it could be very interesting as it really is not clear if you can legally ride there.

If you were outside tourist season and hours then and had a couple of folk looking out for walkers then it would be reasonable access under the access code would it not? there are some really good runs down of arthurs seat ( a "friend" told me)

geoffj

So from my reading, since Dec 2004, so long as you are not three or more abreast, and going less than 30 miles per hour, – and are cycling responsibly of course – then you are generally ok to pedal cycle in Holyrood Park

Downhill slalom course sounds fun!

Linky for the insomniacs – http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/edinburgh-biking

ojom
    Free Member

Also – if there was a high enough attendance then surely there would be some strength in numbers…

i am just hypothesizing of course.

hora
    Free Member

Must admit, it would a great place to ride. Only ever walked it- in winter with thick snow down you can easily convince yourself that you are in the middle of nowhere! 🙂

ojom
    Free Member

well i think this might be revisited as a topic in October.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sounds good to me.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

a 'friend' told me that it is a cracking place to ride with lights, especially after a couple of pints.

Remember that Edinburgh is in Surrey though so Scottish access laws don't apply

ojom
    Free Member

I dont know what you guys are all talking about. 😈

hora
    Free Member

What happens if you are 'caught'?

Hampstead Heath- they were issuing £200+ fines and had a Police sting operation to catch cyclist years ago and a few workers from Cyclesurgery were nabbed at the time.

Regents Park – I had a caution for riding through there!

Dougal
    Free Member

Used Arthurs Seat as a city-centre DH location on many occasions over the last seven years, with anything up to ten people racing down at the same time. Never had a bit of bother using the usual trail manners (say hello to everyone).

Also a good laugh for night riding, especially after a few beers.

Swello
    Free Member

I hypothetically rode there a good few times when I lived in Leith and hypothetically had a great time. The main problem is that you actually get a fair amount of people about up there at night, even in the dark as they are presumably up for the "night view" of Edinburgh – so someone on "spotter" duty would be a good idea.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hora – if folk are caught cycling on it? the only person I know who has been was told off by the park ranger ( a special policeman)

It could create an interesting court case to set a precedent about access on arthurs seat as it really is not clear in law at the moment.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

of course a REAL man would have a couple of pints, ride around the centre of town buzzing tourists then do a lap of the seat followed by a visit to KFC outside which your bikes would be stolen.

this exact thing happened to my 'friend'

hora
    Free Member

Ta TJ. Swello you mean like the same ones who go upto the monuments?

The amount of times Ive been up there very early on a Sat or sun am and found alot of used rubbers and empty booze bottles! 😀

Swello
    Free Member

Hora – no – I think Arthurs Seat attracts a different clientele than Calton Hill – it would be a pretty long climb just for an evening of poofery 🙂

kevonakona
    Free Member

ironically i've left a lot of empty rubbers and used booze bottles 😀

ojom
    Free Member

Tj spends A LOT of time up Calton Hill. I have always wondered what he gets up to!

Dougal
    Free Member

Tj spends A LOT of time up Calton Hill. I have always wondered what he gets up to!

Let's just hope he's wearing his helmet.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ahem… Arthurs Seat’ is closed to new replies.