Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Aheadset tensioner that isn't a top cap???
  • robdob
    Free Member

I’m building a bike up for someone and it’s very special…. how is not important right now!!!

I’ve come across a problem where I need to tension a stem/aheadset combo, as in any normal bike, but I can’t use any kind of top cap/SFN system (something else is on top of the stem!).

I’m sure I saw a tensioning system involving some sort of adjustable headset spacer once but can’t find one now, can anyone help??

jam-bo

Can you use one and then remove? Once the stem is tightened up the top cap is redundant.

scotroutes

Can’t you tension it, do up the stem, then remove the top cap?

Stoner
    Free Member

adjustable headset spacer

called a ringo star.
    http://www.ultimatesportsengineering.com/use-hardware/stem-and-headset/ring-go-star
    but as jam bo says, you dont need to leave a top cap in situ once youve preloaded the headset bearings and then tightened the stem bolts to lock the tension in.

nickjb
    Free Member

I had one like you describe. It sort of clamped onto the steerer and then could be rotated on a thread to effectively thicken it and tension the headset. Think it came from Halfords about 15 years ago. Not very helpful but they do/did exist.

robdob
    Free Member

I want to be able to adjust the headset afterwards if necessary without taking all the gubbins off the top that is in place of the top cap.

scotroutes

What “adjustment” is necessary?

robdob
    Free Member

Just in case the stem becomes loose.

Basically I am building a bike for someone who had one arm a lot shorter than the other. If I had loads of cash if just get something made up to fit but the budget is non existent.

Anyway what I plan to do is have a normal headset/stem/bar setup for the “normal” length arm and then use a quill adaptor to extend the steerer a bit (yes they do work and types they are reliable) so I can mount another short stem on top pointing backwards.

Each stem will have half a riser bar on it and one brake/gear lever.

If the headset needs tensioning after it’s all done it would involve taking the quill adaptor out, installing a star nut and top cap, tensioning it back up, removing the star nut then replacing the quill adaptor.

I’d like some forks that have a steerer long enough so I could fit 2 stems on but I need about 250mm of steerer to do that.

bob_summers

I think I’ve more or less visualised what you’re doing – haven’t got a better idea but rather than use a star nut, why not an expanding bung* ? OK you still need to refit/reinstall it to take up play in the aheadset – but at least it’s doable with an hex key, unlike a star nut.

*Hope head doctor and the like

edit, sorry – didn’t read the first few posts and it’s more or less what they said.

BigJohn

If you put a screw thread on the steerer there might be a way to fit an adjustable top race with some kind of locknut. I think you can get suitable components with 1 1/4 inch thread.

cleanerbybike
    Free Member
    andyl
    Free Member

What about some custom bent bars? Custom motorbike places seem to charge about £60 for a set of custom bent steel bars. Will be heavy but I wonder how the weight compares to what you are looking to do.

breadcrumb

Would a longer fork steerer with two regular ahead stems, one on top of the other not work?

joshvegas
    Free Member

mentioned above

There are others lke this and a friend had one which was like a two sawtoothed spacers which expanded when tightened u

Other option is again mentioned above. Thread the steerer and use a 1 1/8th threaded headset lock ring. That arrangement is used on raleigh twenties

wwaswas

Steerer tube extender (there’s loads about but this one offers a load of height adjustment options);

http://www.excelcycle.com/montague-octagon-steerer-extender-height-adjust-qr-up-to-4-in.-long.html

using a standard aheadset stem will give a lot more options with regards to stem length change as well.

mintimperial

Dia Tech headsets work without using an SFN. They have a clamp that expands down onto the top race wedge, under the stem after you tighten it up. Here’s the clamp bit. Should do the job, depending on the headset you add it to. Might need a cone-type thing adding to it as well though.

robdob
    Free Member

breadcrumb – Member
    Would a longer fork steerer with two regular ahead stems, one on top of the other not work?
    POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Yes that would be ideal but I can’t find any suitable replacement forks for my budget.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d like some forks that have a steerer long enough so I could fit 2 stems on but I need about 250mm of steerer to do that.

Now your text last night makes sense Rob!

Is 220mm any good to you?
    What sort of fork would be ideal?
    I can get stuff….. 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

As above, I reckon a longer steerer fork would probably be a cheaper (and much simpler) option.

robdob
    Free Member

The bike he is using at the moment has some butterfly bars on it – he seems happy with those but I want to make something which will fit better. I have ordered some more butterfly bars to fit on this bike which I might try first before I buy anything else. If he doesn’t use them I will – wanted to try some for a long time!

nickjb
    Free Member

Found my old one. My old bike parts filing system works!

You tighten the upper/middle bit to the stem then rotate the lower part with the bearing to tighten the assembly. Once tight it is locked in place with an allen screw.

Yours if you want it. Needs a clean and probably needs new bearings but it takes standard balls.

cliffyc
    Free Member

@nickjb,good one fella. I remember those YST things from a while back think they stopped making them AFAIK. 🙂

bigblackshed

Gusset Headlock

It’s removable unlike a star nut. So your idea of a quill stem wound still work. There would be no need to remove the star nut each time.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I think too stems with really short stack height is your best bet.

Like this Link

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Aheadset tensioner that isn't a top cap???’ is closed to new replies.