Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Aha! USB selective suspend.
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Always had an issue waking my computer from sleep since the w10 upgrade. I decided a few minutes ago to go and have a look at the power settings, again, I thought, it’s got to be something in there. So I eventually got around to the USB selective suspend and set that to disabled. et voila! Problem solved! 🙂 Touch wood.

Anyhow, questions… What does the selective suspend do, and why would it prevent the computer from waking? Is it desirable to have it on? And what settings would I then need to change for it not to interfere with the wake function of the computer.

On another related note, this also looks to have solved a problem with my audio interface (Focusrite 2i4), which had been continually switching itself off and on and struggling to get connected(it would flicker off and on till it eventually connected, which was getting really irritating.) It’s early days there, and time will tell, but it’s looking like the culprit at the moment.

Anyhow, thoughts? Do I care about enabling USB selective suspend in the power options? If so, why?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Biting tongue

Cougar

First I’ve heard of it, so thanks for that. Will do some reading tomorrow.

Cougar

Biting tongue

Good.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Biting tongue

you should have seen the Mac graveyard in my work today, might take a picture of it for future use with you actually! 😆 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    First I’ve heard of it, so thanks for that. Will do some reading tomorrow.

If you do find anything, would be appreciated, cheers.

I don’t think it will be anything I’m too concerned about, quick google suggestions it’s just a power saving option(hence it being in the power options! 😆 ), but I guess it does what it says, selectively turns of bits and pieces not in in use.

Not something I think I’m really concerned about, the laptop is plugged in 99% of the time.

It’s a HP pavillion p189sa, if that’s any use to you.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I should also mention, I went through the drivers in device manager to make sure all were updated. Which they were, except the bluetooth 4.0 driver, which updated. So, that could be a contributing factor also, but I suspect not.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just allows selected devices to be powered down to a low power state instead of powering everything down, or in the case of USB powering down the hub. Allows the system to wake connecting a new device or you can mark a specific device as not able to be powered down if you want it always on.

It also plays a part in Connected Standby which is a mobile device feature (inc tablets) to allow some devices or components to still operate even when the system is in a suspend state. e.g. so wifi can still be active or wake at intervals and device receives updates to apps but various other things are in a low power state. Saves a lot of battery by being very minimal drain when in a sleep state but the system is kind of always on, and will wake instantly.

Though can have issues with devices that don’t play ball and wake the system when they shouldn’t.

“powercfg sleepstudy” is a useful command that will diagnose what’s putting Windows to sleep and what is waking it up.

If it’s a desktop it shouldn’t be using connected standby anyway. If it’s a tablet and you are having issues you can disable connected standby and instead just use plain sleep or shutdown. Takes slightly longer to start, but not much.

jambalaya
    Free Member

seosamh .. first I think I’m going to address you as 77 in the future as I can manage to type that !

I’d be interested in old Macs – what is there ? Mine is 2009 so maybe I can get an upgrade, my parents would use one.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Interesting kenny thanks for that. I think the issue has been that it’s not been going to sleep properly, now you say that. Now I can hear and see the computer fully powering down. Before, it would just kinda hang, so I guess it actually wasn’t sleeping properly, so that makes a lot of sense. I guess the selective suspending must have been keeping something awake that stopped it sleeping. interesting.

Wakes up in seconds now, so unless something comes up, I’m happy enough as is, just interested in understanding the why. Which I think you’ve gone some way to explaining! 🙂

ps it’s a laptop.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    seosamh .. first I think I’m going to address you as 77 in the future as I can manage to type that !

I’d be interested in old Macs – what is there ? Mine is 2009 so maybe I can get an upgrade, my parents would use one.

77, joe, seaso, whatever take your fancy. 😉

If I could I would sort you out there, but tbh nah not worth anything nor your time really. We’re moving premises in a few months, so clearing out the old cupboards and stuff, best there is 2 x 2006 imacs, some g5 towers and loads of g4s. They all gave up the ghost years ago, various issues, logic boards gone, power blocks kaput, unfixable kernal panics and the like. Could probably cobble something together mind from there, but they are old old old, so any use would be very limited! Plus someone was in to look at taking them already anyhow.

CountZero

you should have seen the Mac graveyard in my work today, might take a picture of it for future use with you actually!

And you should have seen the regular row of dead and dismembered PC’s that used to regularly clutter the floor out in the warehouse where I worked up until six months ago.
    And probably still continue to do so, there seemed to be an endless supply of boxes containing new PC’s arriving to replace them.
    In the studio, on the other hand, there is a G5 Mac still in use as a server for emails that I used at a previous company that’s dated 2001, and two other G3’s that still work, but are in storage, dated 1999…

seosamh77
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    you should have seen the Mac graveyard in my work today, might take a picture of it for future use with you actually!

And you should have seen the regular row of dead and dismembered PC’s that used to regularly clutter the floor out in the warehouse where I worked up until six months ago.
    And probably still continue to do so, there seemed to be an endless supply of boxes containing new PC’s arriving to replace them.
    In the studio, on the other hand, there is a G5 Mac still in use as a server for emails that I used at a previous company that’s dated 2001, and two other G3’s that still work, but are in storage, dated 1999…

I don’t actaully care about operating system. 😆 Hardware/OS, it’s all much of a muchness, just a question of how much you want to buy into which ever hype! Either will do the job imo, long as you can get the right software, which is king. An os is there to get out the road to facilitate the software i want to use, nothing more.

ps there were plenty of pc’s too, i was just tugging on jambas mac fanboi-ism! 😆

I still use a 2006 imac in work btw, still does all i need. the 2 imacs are getting kept as spares till they eventually decide to upgrade.

molgrips
    Free Member

No question that some PC hardware is lower quality than Macs. That’s the big advantage, that you can choose how much you want to spend, from lots to buttons. And as you’d expect, the cheapest stuff is worse quality.

But this model has put more computing power in more hands around the world than Apple ever has. You could argue that IBM and MS really bought computing and the internet to the masses.

You might as well crow that your Mercedes is better than a Tata. Well of course, but it’s good that Tata are there to bring up living standards in the third world.

Well. Not counting appalling traffic and pollution but that’s another topic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@jamby it’s a feature that will not be in new mac OS builds as they have deemed that only the poor use actual ports to connect things….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Aha! USB selective suspend.’ is closed to new replies.