• This topic has 45 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Aggressive XC 29er tyre combo recommendations?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I’m quite interested in the Forekaster, but really holding out for the 2.6. I appreciate 2.6 may be outside the scope of this thread…

BearBack
    Free Member

2.4 mountain king 2 fr/rr or 2.4mk fr / 2.4 x-king RR

Tubeless, high volume,fast. A little shy on braking traction but I’ll use this pairing for everything I’m pedaling or racing in Whistler/Squamish.

OwenP

Onza Ibex 29 x 2.25 is my compromise for what I guess you are describing! Like a smaller, cut down, lighter High Roller in many ways. They’ve been great for two months now.

sy101
    Free Member

Maxxis Beaver front and rear on my 29er all year round, no complaints at all.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Don’t discount the 2.3 dhf for the more trail end of xc. I put one on for alps trip in summer and it’s so good I haven’t taken it off. Rolling resistance not noticeably worse than the ardent it replaced and soooo much better in corners. Ardent on the rear is good as long as you like it loose. If we get a really dry spell in summer I go ikon rear ardent front which is all day xc mile munching setup but lethal in any damp or loose stuff.

mboy
    Free Member

looks like there’s love for the Forekaster here.

It’s similar to a Nobby Nic (same width/volume despite the 2.35″ moniker) but grippier in all conditions and faster rolling too. Nice and predictable on the rear, maybe not quite enough bite on the front for harder riding but more than a 2.25″ ardent for sure.

DHF 2.3 – to Heavy, slow rolling?

Don’t discount the 2.3 dhf for the more trail end of xc. I put one on for alps trip in summer and it’s so good I haven’t taken it off. Rolling resistance not noticeably worse than the ardent it replaced and soooo much better in corners.

I’ll take the 200g over a lighter tyre for the confidence it gives me every time. It’s not that slow a tyre anyway (and you don’t notice it on the front, you might on the rear but that’s by the by). Forekaster on the front was ok, but it did slide every so often where the Minion doesn’t. Swap for a Shorty in the winter months and you’re laughing.

There’s some beefy XC tyres on this thread!

Rocket Ron rear and Nobby Nic front

Depends on your priorities I suppose. I’ll go out on my XC bike for a ride and try and take the piss out of my mates on the descents. A Rocket Ron for me would last about 5 seconds of the first trail! OK my tyres weigh 1lb more than yours do in total, but then again I’m not racing XC merely riding XC…

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Aggressive XC 29er tyre combo recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.