• This topic has 45 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Aggressive XC 29er tyre combo recommendations?
  • binno
    Free Member

What are you running right now that you’re either really happy with or looking to change, strong positives and negative views are equally useful?

I’m looking for something less summer orientated for the upcoming months, yet fast rolling and grippy for trail centres, woodland trails to long hill climbs.

I’d give the edge to low rolling resistance then grip, though I’ll happily take both.

weeksy

O-O Chunky Monkey. Not terribly fast rolling possibly though. But they’re solid, cheap, tubeless.

fifeandy
    Free Member

‘Aggressive’ and a preference for low rolling resistance don’t tend to go together.
    XKings, Rons and XR2’s are all fast and work across a range of conditions.

Yak

XR3 2.3 front and saguaro 2.2 rear. Pretty much same criteria as yours.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use Vittoria Barzo, they’re not very angry but can get a bit shouty if you ping them off too many rocks or try and attack tha trailz, bloody Italians eh 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Ardents maybe?

Crossmark 2 on the rear when it’s more dry.

ferrals
    Free Member

Rocket rons front and rear is my go to “not bone dry, not stinking slop” combo

Northwind

They’re hard to find but the mighty Specialized Captain Control 2.2 on the back. Respectably fast, and actually has some grip, I love these- wish there was a 2.4.

On the front, not sure I can comment, I really don’t like an ungrippy front tyre so I’d say DHR2 in 3C but that’s not quick.

jam-bo

Shorty front, forekaster rear. But my xc may differ from yours….

SirHC

Specialized Ground controls, grippy, quick rolling and decent sidewall for xc use. Did have a forekaster on the front, found it a bit vague, side knobs didnt have much bite, could work as a good rear tyre though.

honourablegeorge

DHR2 2.3 front, Minion SS 2.3 rear.

Carax
    Free Member

Spesh Ground Control (as recommended by Major Tom).

qwerty
    Free Member

Hillbilly front / Ground Control rear in Grid or Control casing to suit?

longmover
    Free Member

Currently running a Michelin Rock’R on the front and a Racing Ralph on the rear. Plenty of grip on the front a rear that that likes to slide around, great fun if you can keep it in check and have the confidence to hang off the front of the bike.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

New Nobby Nic rolls really well for the grip IMO.

ferrals
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

DHR2 2.3 front, Minion SS 2.3 rear.

This is a very different definition of xc to mine!!

honourablegeorge

ferrals – Member .

This is a very different definition of xc to mine!!

Right – but it blends aggressive and fast rollign quite well. It’s my setup for trail centres and the like. But the SS is a brilliant tyre for more than that

StuF

I’m liking my Hans Damph up front and a rock razor on the back. It’s surprisingly ok in muddy conditions and quick rolling.

DrP

Usually Bonty XR4 2.35 Team on front, and saguro on rear..
    JUST put an XR3 2.2 Team on the rear – want a bit more grip on the rigid SS..

DrP

sillyoldman

Maxxis Forekaster ft and rr in 2.35.

richardthird

On my SS I like my Ground Control front and a 500g Beaver! 2.0 out back. All year.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ardent 2.4 Fr 2.25 R works nice for me, keen to try the Ground Control and XR4s though

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m liking my Hans Damph up front and a rock razor on the back. It’s surprisingly ok in muddy conditions and quick rolling.

No! FFS!

I run that combo on my trail bike – I like it – but the only way you could describe it as ‘quick rolling’ is if you compared it to some sort of maxxis velcro tyre.

Same goes for the DHR/MinionSS combo

chakaping
    Free Member

Ground Control is a good call, I liked that a lot

Yak

Ground Controls are good, but they have leaky sidewalls in the control casing and size up a bit small. Maybe the Grid is better? The newer Nobby Nics are better for similar grip/speed levels.

fifeandy
    Free Member

They’re hard to find but the mighty Specialized Captain Control 2.2 on the back

Do they actually still make them? I was under the impression they were replaced by the Ground Control.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Been a long term Conti/Schwalbe user for years but since trying Vittoria Tyres I won’t go back.
    Good tread patterns, high volume, lightweight, smooth rolling, grippy, easy tubeless mounting, cheap…etc etc
    Awesome!

chakaping
    Free Member

Ground Controls are good, but they have leaky sidewalls in the control casing and size up a bit small. Maybe the Grid is better?

grid casing was OK for me.

That’s what the OP would want if he’s getting aggressive with his XC.

😉

Northwind

fifeandy – Member

Do they actually still make them? I was under the impression they were replaced by the Ground Control.

I don’t think they’re still in production, I found a pair a wee while back online and snaffled them.

mccraque

There’s some beefy XC tyres on this thread!

Rocket Ron rear and Nobby Nic front….although depending on how much slop you ride through. Although I race on that through the winter months. Maybe swapping for a Bonty Mud X in real gloop.

DrP

I got rid of my suspension and geax sag on the front, and went rigid with a larger/tougher tyre (the XR4).
    Seemed to be a move that was ‘weight loss positive’ yet still adequately soft and much grippier in the corners..

DrP

binno
    Free Member

Intrigued by the Minion SS
    Any specific Vittoria tread to consider?
    Any Maxis Aggressor recommendations?

Needs to be 2.3″ ish as running 25mm wide rims (internal).

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Rons are good – I’m currently riding Onza Canis & Svelte (F & R) in a rather cool skin wall IMHO….so far so good!

chum3
    Free Member

Shorty front, forekaster rear. But my xc may differ from yours….

I’ve got that on my Tallboy currently!

My more XC variant would be Forekaster front, Ikon 2.35 rear…

jam-bo

Intrigued by the Minion SS

minion SS is an awesome rear tyre.

bowglie

My favourite XC tyre for this time of year are Maxxis Beavers F & R. I guess it depends how much you weigh, and how heavy you are on gear, but I’m around 88kg in full kit and had success with the 2.0 width in exo casing, but now trying the 2.2’s. The latter have larger lugs and feel like there’s more rubber in the sidewalls, definitely a bit more robust feeling and better in off-piste situations, but the trade off is that they don’t feel as nippy as the 29×2.0s.

I’ve also used Spesh GC 29×2.1 as rear tyres and they’re a good general purpose XC tyre, unless you’re trashing through rock gardens every week. (Might have a couple of lightly worn 2.1s knowcking about if you fancy trying one…£10 plus contribution towards postage?)

teamslug
    Free Member

Currently running vittoria barzo front and peyote rear. i think i’m getting to the limits of both now its getting sticky around here but they have surprised me how well they coped. Not heavy either (625g). Feel loads better then ron/ralph combo. Will be back to beaver 2.0 by the weekend as its time for a narrower tyre i think. Go to tyre for heavier duty riding, peaks etc would be forekaster 2.35.

binno
    Free Member

looks like there’s love for the Forekaster here.

If we nudged this over to the XC side, shall we say a climbing focussed area of enduro tyres, with some cornering bite and good rolling manners, what do you think?

I anticipate a trade off in weight vs traction yet low rolling resistance is still a high priority.

Rear End:
    Minion SS looks great for most use except winter. Is definitely short listed on the rear.
    Forekaster
    Aggressor To heavy?

Front:
    Minion DHRII – Has anyone trimmed the edges of the lugs down as recommended for front use. If so, any tips on technique + tool used?
    Forekaster
    DHF 2.3 – to Heavy, slow rolling?

SirHC

Ground Controls are good, but they have leaky sidewalls in the control casing and size up a bit small. Maybe the Grid is better? The newer Nobby Nics are better for similar grip/speed levels.

2018 ground control (2br) doesn’t leak. Sizing is spot on. After a 2.3 for the back to team up with a butcher on the front

downhillfast
    Free Member

I just fitted some Halo Choirmaster 29″ tyres, seem ok after a few rides, and went up tubeless without too much fuss.
    Think they were £20 a pair ftom eBay.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Aggressive XC 29er tyre combo recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.