Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Aggressive trail 29er wheel recommendations
  • kirky72
    Free Member

Looking at some better wheels for my spesh enduro 29er. It came with the standard alloy traverse.

I’ve shirtlised the following but wondered if anybody had experience of these or any other suggestions, I’m after saving some. Weight but not at the expense of durability and stiffness, I find the stock wheels flesh so want something stiffer.

Roval control rail sl, carbon wheels 21mm inner, dt swiss 240 hub. Can get for a relatively low price under 700 in the sales. What puts me off is that the traverse are know to be the enduro all mountain wheel I’m concerned about cracking a rim.

Dt swiss. Xm1501 spline. Alloy around 1730 gram 22.5mm inner. Around 550 mark.

Spank oozy evo, seem to get good reviews but not particulary
    ilight. With xd driver free hub around 450.

Mavic crossmax xl, look bomber strong 23mm internal , come with tyres I wouldn’t otherwise buy, around 625/650.

Sram rail 60s or roam 50s.

I’m riding trail centres, reds and blacks, natural stuff over the lancs Moors so ideally be light for lots of climbing but strong for bombng descents like the San Marino at rivington.

Northwind

<stock answer> I’d put Lightbicycle carbon rims on DT240 hubs.

rewski
    Free Member

I’d add Stan’s Crest to yer shirtlise

granny_ring

Crest, for what he wants….?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

E13 TRS might be worth a try?

welshfarmer

http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=32216;page=1;menu=1000,2,140,209;mid=21;pgc=0

about £500 at current exchange. I bought a set and so far so good. Similar riding to what you describe.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Having much the same thought for wheels on my new build. After much research my money would be on Lightbicycle rims if carbon, Ryde Trace Trail or Enduro if not. Both on Hope hubs.

Nipper99
    Free Member

American Classic All Mountain – bombproof.

Yetiman
    Free Member

<stock answer> I’d put Lightbicycle carbon rims on DT240 hubs.

This ^

I have 35mm 29er Light Bicycle hookless rims, but on 32H Pro2 Evo hubs, as I already had them going spare. 1700g, fantastically stiff and no problems yet in 7 months of fairly hard use.

singlespeedstu

I’ve just gone the route of the 35mm Lightbicycle carbon rims.
    Had them built onto some spare King hubs i already had.
    Can’t wait to try them out.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pNZADq]New wheels[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

letmetalktomark

@ Stu …. What did the pair set you back inc shipping, fees etc?

Were there any issues building them up?

davosaurusrex

I paid £600 for my Lbs to build 35mm LB 29ers onto Hope pro 2 with supercomps, also 1700g.
    For God’s sake don’t get E13 TRS+, the rear hub design is fatally flawed

singlespeedstu

Can’t remember what they cost but the import and **** you up the arse tax was £37 ish.

JCL
    Free Member

Roval Fattie SL’s.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Alternattive to LB, Nextie have got a 40mm rim aswell as the 35mm option for similar price.

pipiom
    Free Member

I destroyed a pair of AC’s (race29 admittedly) and laced a pair of Ryde Trace Enduro rims to the AC hubs…..30mm wide so not far off the LB rims in width…..really happy with em.

pipiom
    Free Member

I destroyed a pair of AC’s (race29 admittedly) and laced a pair of Ryde Trace Enduro rims to the AC hubs…..30mm wide so not far off the LB rims in width…..really happy with em.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What are the LB rims like with the straps on Thule 591’s? I like to pull those as tight as possible to compress the tyre into the trough as much as possible. I know carbon stuff is strong, but usually it’s just strong for the purposes its intended and can be delicate otherwise.

rewski
    Free Member

😳 I meant arch not crest. Soz

kirky72
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, some thing to think about there with the light bicycles option. Checked out the website and their build seem a good option on hope hubs, I think the 30mm wide should be good enough for my purpose.

Are there many reports of these breaking on impacts?

The vat and duty adds another 24.5% mind! has everybody been stiffed with the full whack or do they understate the shipping invoice to help a bit?

I’m off to china in March so could get them delivered locally and then carry them back in a wheel bag maybe.

kimbers

they definitely understate the value!

Northwind

wobbliscott – Member

What are the LB rims like with the straps on Thule 591’s? I like to pull those as tight as possible to compress the tyre into the trough as much as possible. I know carbon stuff is strong, but usually it’s just strong for the purposes its intended and can be delicate otherwise.

They don’t even notice, the actual compression’s really minor. I was a wee bit worried about scratching/rubbing and I’ve noticed a couple of marks that I’m pretty sure are off the roofracks but nothing to worry about really.

Re value, I think they declared mine for some token amount, I ended up paying more duty than stated, but way less than was really due. I don’t think the revenue are mugs, they’ll carry a lot of these and have an idea of the value but they seemed to just guess an amount. But I’d bet 10p Lightbicycle are on a list of vendors to watch for in the tax-inspecting-postal-thingmy office.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Op, I can recommend the Transition Revolution 28’s. Not the lightest out there but absolutely bomb proof, which in my opinion is easily worth a couple of hundred grams in weight. I’ve lost two spokes on my rear wheel and completed a couple of rides before replacing and the never went out of true. When I’m climbing a big hill and blowing out of my arse the last thing on my mind is wishing I had a couple of hundred grams less on my wheelset. More like wishing I had 5 – 10kgs less off my belly!

Thanks Northwind, I might look at some of these for the bling factor more than anything and relegate my Revolution rims to a hardtail build.

chakaping
    Free Member

What did you go for in the end OP?

Did you ride yours yet SS-Stu?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Aggressive trail 29er wheel recommendations’ is closed to new replies.