Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Aggressive steel hardtail. Cotic Soul, Cove Handjob or something else…?
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Hello all. I’m looking to transfer components from my Cube Acid 26″ to a more aggressive steel XC hardtail frame. It’ll run 100mm Rebas – not sure if I can increase the travel to 120mm on them or not, but currently working on the assumption that I can’t.

Handjob or Soul look the best candidates… or is there a better frame I haven’t considered that’ll work great with 100mm forks and hurtle downhill like a rocket (at least in comparison to the Cube anyway)…?

Ta for any advice.

nicko74

Obvious one – Cotic BFe. Same geometry as the Soul, but burlier and apparently designed more for chucking downhill.

But then the Soul is pretty good at that too, unless you like big jumps

MarkSS
    Free Member

pipedream sirius or scion?

run my sirius with sektor 100-140mm uturn forks. not the lightest of set ups but works for me.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

soul is very good I love mine with 120mm forks on

marsdenman
    Free Member

Handjobs are 299 @ CRC. They also have a 17.5″ in Yellow, superficial damage, £230
    I got one in the CRC price drop – yet to be ridden in anger.. 😳
    Bought it for (i think) the same reason as you – something a little slacker on the head angle than my previous frame.

edit – fogot to mention – 3 mates have Souls – one runs 100 maguras. One Terralogic’s. One Rev U-Turn.
    They all love their bikes.
    Another mate loves his Stanton Slackline.. IIRC, it sits between Soul and Bfe in price but has very much a Bfe intention to it’s build.

RustyMac

Genesis Latitude
    Saracen Kili Flyer
    Would be another 2 I’d add to your list to look into.

Candodavid
    Free Member

2souls did a 26″ frame

bramblerash
    Free Member

How about an orange P7, my one’s got a Fox 36 Talas on it and feels great when decending with the travel set anywhere between 110 and 150mm.
    Always makes me smile on the downs 🙂

Scapegoat

Depending on your Reba you may be able to de-spacer it to 120 anyway. Judging by a lot of the posters on this forum 120 is sort of a sweet spot for a Soul.

Gachet
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2012 Cove Handjob (yes I know about the dodgy brake hoses in the photos!)

It’s running 130mm Revelations, which are the maximum travel forks recommended for the frame and give a 67 degree head angle. Not sure I’d want to go much shorter with the forks as it doesn’t feel that slack, 120mm would be ok, but I think 100mm would be a bit steep.

I’m generally happy with feel of the bike as it doesn’t beat you up as much as an alloy frame, yet is still responsive and feels quick and not too flexible laterally. I would be interested to compare it to a Soul as so many people rave about them. I went for the Cove as it was discounted to £150 less than a Soul and was available in Green which the Soul wasn’t early last year.

Of the other suggestions, the Stanton Slackline looks very nice, but is designed around 140mm forks, so even if you can extend your Rebas, they’d probably still be too short.

Not sure about other options.

simonside
    Free Member

Dialled Bikes, either Prince Albert or Alpine
    Prince albert or Alpine
    Both “aggressive” both a ton of fun….capable of giving an awesome day of entertainment

muzzle
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know what problems I might face with just swapping components over? I’m aware that I’d need a new seat post and a new headset… has anyone done a similar transfer of components and found any other problems I might not have anticipated? I’m thinking it’ll most likely be the Cove Handjob BTW.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If your steerers been cut, then make sure it’ll fit the new frame, otherwise it’s new forks time.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

PS. I also have a Cube Acid which got me back into mountain biking. I then migrated to an Evil Sovereign which i built up with new bits. It’s the business, and has taken me everywhere and anywhere. I still have the Acid, and use it on the road and for anything really long distance.

soobalias
    Free Member

i wouldnt describe my PA as aggressive, but its a stroppy little c unit sometimes.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

our main, andpotentially most expensive,issue will be the forks – as cbmotorsport says – if the steerer is cut too short for the new frame your fubarred.

The seat post and seat clamp are the obvious ones.

Bottom bracket could be an issue depends,(if you’re using ISIS or external type) on if you have/havn’t got the right number of spacers if needed. If you are using a square taper BB you may need a new one all together.

You could also have an issue wih the front mech, dependant on make – most these days come with spacers (or you can get them easy enough).

Theres also a slight possibility that the rear (or front for that matter) brake hose may be too short/long. Long’snot much of an issue other than asthetics .

Last but no means least, you’ll probably need new cable and outers.

My tip would also be to completely strip the bike and clean all parts thoroughly before transferring. It’s tempting to whip off the stem, bars brakes,shifters etc. as one unit and try to fit them straight over – it can be done but stripping and cleaning is the way to go.
    And don’t forget to wedge something between the disc pads during assembly.

thegnome
    Free Member

Soul for all round trail use. Be fe is you want to go chucking it off big drops. I run my Soul with Pikes and its still feels like the steering is linked to your thought process. My Soul is so old it has the the V brake mounts on it and has taken a lot of serious abuse over the years and still makes me grin.

Cheezpleez

No one’s mentioned On-one. A 456 or C456 would fit the bill. They ride fine with anything from a 100 to 150mm fork. You can also run a slackset on a C456 if you want to keep the angles slack with a shorter fork.

Euro
    Free Member

By all means treat yourself to a new frame, but it’s worth pointing out (obviously perhaps) that buying an aggressive frame won’t turn you into an aggressive rider.

Mackem

Chumba HX1 – It’s alu but it’s not a stiff race thing. I went for it because it was like a P7 but lighter. Great at the downhills, seems to have a bit of “give”.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Euro – Member

By all means treat yourself to a new frame, but it’s worth pointing out (obviously perhaps) that buying an aggressive frame won’t turn you into an aggressive rider.

No, but more agressive geometry does wonders for the confidence and before you know it, your riding more aggresively as a result.

johnhe

My local bike shop (really small place, but great) stocks ragley frames and only charge £30 to swap stuff from existing bike to new frame. At that kind of money, I’d be daft to mess it up do it myself.

svalgis
    Free Member

They’d have to pay me a lot more than £30 to pass on the great experience of building my own bike.

binners

Another vote for an Orange P7. Mine is happy as Larry with 140mm up front. Great fun downhill 😀

ae212060
    Free Member

Very happy with my Cotic BFE, but I have a 150mm fork on there, I think the soul would be better suited with a smaller fork..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Aggressive steel hardtail. Cotic Soul, Cove Handjob or something else…?’ is closed to new replies.