Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Age old question I'm sure….SPD's or Flats?!
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

I ride Nant Yr Arain which is pretty fast with enough climbing to warrant sticking with my SPD’s however I wanna try flats out up at coed y Brenin, whats flats like on big climbs?
    anyone ever switched between the two and now stuck with their choice?

transapp
    Free Member

They’re rubbish

or not

which sums up the following 200 posts!

In reality, they are different, not worse. My preference is for spd’s all the time, but then I’ve ridden them since about ’92 so I’m quite used to clipping in now, and not too worried about getting feet out in a hurry as I actually try to twist off of flats now.

mboy
    Free Member

Try em

Then do a back to back test of both. See which you prefer.

There is no right or wrong answer…

Jamie
    Free Member

Age old answer I’m sure….user preference.

crikey
    Free Member

Oh Hurrah, a question no one has asked before….

ojom
    Free Member

I ride better with flats, climbing and otherwise. However, this is all relative.

Just ride what you think you want to and don’t worry about it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Buy some cheap flats and try it.

superfli
    Free Member

I ride both, depending on conditions and ride type.
    SPDs definitely quicker for pedalling, but for muddy or techy DH then I use flats. Also my 5-10s are more comfy and look better in the pub after.

mrplow
    Free Member

I ride both. Flats for training a neutral body language into my riding and gaining corner speed confidence then SPDs for all out speed. Both are ace for different reasons ime.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’ll try it but I’m not sure I like the idea of mincing my shin’s up!

warpcow
    Free Member

Am I the only one who only ever hits the backs of my calves? My shins are fresh as a (very hairy) baby’s.

burnie
    Free Member

I used to swap between the two depending on conditions and how I felt. Now I stick to SPDs as I can’t ever be asked to put my flats on.

ahwiles
    Free Member

both.

baznav73
    Free Member

If you normally ride SPD’S why would you even be asking the question 😯

tacopowell
    Free Member

If you normally ride SPD’S why would you even be asking the question

As Coed y Brenin and other trails i’ve visited recently are more technically demanding, figure I may gain more confidence on flats, I feel I could throw myself around more….maybe, suppose i’ll have to try!

muckytee
    Free Member

I’m not sure I like the idea of mincing my shin’s up!

The pins only rake your shins if your foot slips off (bad technique) or when you crash – badly. TBH in bad crashes there are usually other things to worry about, concussion, broken limbs et all.

For me it doesn’t hurt, just gets rather bloody:

Still ride flats, rather do that to my shins than to me face 😉

carlosg
    Free Member

Flats all the time for me on the DH bike , I tend to swap and change between flats and SPD’s on the XC hardtail depending how wet/slippy it is.

orangeboy
    Free Member

If I race xc I use spd but for all other rides I use flats
    You can climb perfectly well on flats just get some good shoes to go with then either 5 ten or shimano ones

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Age old question I'm sure….SPD's or Flats?!’ is closed to new replies.