Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Aftermarket Car Reversing Camera
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Has anyone fitted a cheap aftermarket car reversing camera that they would recommend?

My OAP Dad has asked for one of these for Christmas. This is good, as usually he does not specify anything (not a powerkite, London Poppy, nothing). He does very few miles and only has a few years driving left probably (which he well knows), and I can only see adding one of these will make his driving/parking (very slightly) more safe. He has asked for it to be ‘as cheap as possible’ as it won’t be used much really…I was thinking up to £100. Can this get something that works reasonably well, and is fairly easy to install. Wireless might makes things easier…if they work reliably.

Any recommendations? A quick google brings up one at Maplins that looks okay….

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Is it one you fit to a bike?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bought very cheap from ebay and it works fine. I think a camera that replaced one of my number plate lights plus a small screen cost less than £25. A hassle to fit as I had to run wires all over so if you don’t want to do it yourself having it fitted may be the most expensive part.

In use…..I think parking sensors are a better idea. You can hear the beeps whilst still using your mirrors and looking around rather than focusing your attention on a little screen.

angeldust
    Free Member

Ah, wrong forum. Though…you could fit this to a bike. Might be useful when cars are following really close behind you

slowbloke
    Free Member

They can work well – just pay attention to where the camera is fitted as there’s nothing more annoying that finding it covered in road grime and mud when you need it. If you’re fitting it yourself then order a little bag of whatever trim clips hold in place the trim you are removing as you’re bound to break at least one if you’re not superhuman even if you have the right trim removing tools.

wwaswas

I have one on our motorhome and it’s extremely useful.

Only thing I would say is try and get the camera positioned so that

a) it points ‘down’ – you need to be able to see your rear bumper, not a car 5m away.
    b) you can see the corners of the car on the screen.

obviously on the motorhome the camera is 10ft off the ground so you get a really good view of the back of the vehicle but I can see it would be more difficult in a car.

Other option is parking sensors – I have them in my car and they give as much confidence when parking as the camera.

angeldust
    Free Member

Specific models and where they were purchased from would be great if anyone has the info.

My problem with parking audible sensors (rather than a camera) is that they are a little vague for intricate parking. They can be going off at the highest pitch and you are still some distance away from the object (Can’t remember the last car I had without them, and all have been approx the same). Good for obstacles you might not have been aware of though!

br
    Free Member

We’ve just got a new BMW, the rear-view camera shows on the main screen plus it has ‘overlaid’ lines that work with the parking sensors to show you where’s safe to go.

Previously I’ve always just run towbars 😉

I reckon both is a better option.

angeldust
    Free Member

I reckon both is a better option.

Yep, agree.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve got a brand new Maplin one unopened in its box at home somewhere if you want it OP?

angeldust
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Teetosugars. Can I ask why you don’t want it, which model it is, and how much would you like for it?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The last car we bought, we specifically chose one with reversing camera.

We never use it…

Just buy him a car that reverse parks itself, there are plenty about 🙂

P20

I fitted one of the eBay jobs to the van. Works well. You can get various mounts. Cost about £28

[/url]Reversing Camera by ritcheyp20, on Flickr[/img]

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Teetosugars. Can I ask why you don’t want it, which model it is, and how much would you like for it?

I don’t want it as I did some advisory work for a company that fits cameras/ handsfree kits etc. to cars, and by way of a thank you they fitted me with a whole new hands free/ camera system so this is surplus to requirements.

Model? -dunno, I’ll need to check, and Price? A lot less than RRP.. I’ll drop you a line with all the details once I’m home.

angeldust
    Free Member

Model? -dunno, I’ll need to check, and Price? A lot less than RRP.. I’ll drop you a line with all the details once I’m home

Great, thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Aftermarket Car Reversing Camera’ is closed to new replies.