Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • After the storm, fire up the log splitter
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yesterday’s storm claimed a Maple, a Chilean Beech, a Portuguese Laurel, a Beech, several Sycamores and a dead Elm. We still have power and a phone line despite a tree on the drive stretching the latter to breaking point.

Firing up the log splitter is more productive than firing up a Quattro. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I bet you’re glad you have that thing now 🙂

rs
    Free Member

hope you’re going to build some ladder bridges with all that!

takisawa2

Imagine how long that log store would burn for if it went up.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Imagine how long that log store would burn for if it went up.

That’s the overflow woodpile. The main woodpile may need to be called something Icelandic if it ever went up!

GrahamS

I’ve often wondered this about woodpiles: don’t you get problems with animals nesting/hibernating in them?

willard

That’s the idea… Heat _and_ food in one handy location.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve often wondered this about woodpiles: don’t you get problems with animals nesting/hibernating in them?

And spiders etc etc, I suspect so yes. Not really an issue though is it, they’re outside?

GrahamS

Not really an issue though is it, they’re outside?

Well it’s more that I don’t really fancy disturbing a nest of hibernating rats while I’m fumbling for some wood, or dooming a sleeping hedgehog to a wintery death because I’ve taken away half his insulation to be burnt.

coffeeking
    Free Member

A fair point indeed. I retract my derision.

Junkyard
    Free Member

never found rats in mine tbh
    Mcmooter what do you do with the excess as over seasoned woods burns poorly

timber

Occasionally mcmoonters posts leave me inspired to stack the logs into our sheds, but slinging them in seems to override. There’s only about a 12′ trailers difference in it, we stacked one shed once in the hope of getting more in.

One of our sheds seems prone to rat runs too, probably because it’s next to stables. Some of the seasoning stacks attract lizards/amphibians.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I’m just feeling inadequate now – I’ve spent the day hand sawing a fallen beech and lugging it out of the woods in a 70 litre rucksack.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Junkyard, usually we store wood on a two year rotation and it always burns really well. The shed in the picture is exposed to the prevailing wind and rain. If it gets wet, it dries out quickly. I’ve never had trouble with wood being too dry

I’ve wondered about just tipping the trailer into the shed, but like you have always thought that stacking the wood would condense the load into our limited storage space.

I think I’m the widest thing you are likey to find in my woodpiles.

Ditchjockey, you might want to look away now

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_J_3fLDTU8GE/TLsEji5TfVI/AAAAAAAAKtg/JBckxbJsUKA/s640/Woodpile%20Oct%202010%20002.JPG[/img]

Junkyard
    Free Member

We got some free wood from that about 10 yrs old [ cut as well]and it burned like paper. It was oak as well iirc. Not that you need me to tell you but 2 yrs is fine
    is jealous of set up and I miss the farm that had three tree surgeons living there. Always tons of wood.

glenh
    Free Member

I think you have wood related OCD

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I think you have wood related OCD

I agree, but when I lived on treeless Orkney, I fulfilled the same need with peat stacks.

Not mine, but along those lines and much much bigger.

marty
    Free Member

peat – now you’re talkin’ cannae beat the smell of a turf fire*.

although always cut yer peat in a low impact way y’all.

LD
    Free Member

Didn’t do any neat chopping today but did earn a nice, but not too peaty, (see what I did there?) bottle of Glenmorangie from a neighbour today. He was puzzling over how to get some hefty broken branches down from his tree over a comunal driveway, and I popped my harness on and wandered up with a saw, job done, reward not nesscessary but being enjoyed all the same. 😀

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hard backbreaking work turned into art. That’s awesome!

🙂

bruneep

Are you sure you don’t need planning permission for those wooden structures.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘After the storm, fire up the log splitter’ is closed to new replies.