Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • After tales of LBS rip offs, a positive one worth sharing.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was building up my touring frame and found the rear mech hanger was bent.

I popped the bike in the car and nipped down to my LBS, Spokes in Kirkcaldy. I dont use them much, but the guys are always friendly. They were busy, so I had to leave the bike. I thought as I filled in my details on the repair card, this is going to cost me dear. It would be ready after three. Perfect, I had a dental appointment and I could pick it up on the way.

I didnt have time to go to the cash machine so with only £30 in my pocket I returned. The repair worked, the hanger hadn’t snapped.

The bill?

£6 – I nearly fainted.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Nice to see someone not being ripped off. Equally nice to see someone post about not being ripped off.

gribble
    Free Member

I use Cycleworks in Haslemere and Guildford quite a bit. I think they offer great value and have done work for me that I am to much of a wuss to try (fitting a fork, changing a freehub). I also bought a Hope bottom bracket off them at better value than online.

I can’t justify changing my hard tail at the moment, but when I can, will be going to them for a full bouncer. Although I recon Canyon et al are great value, I am going to fork out for the extra cash of either a Whyte/Specialized/Orange which they stock.

Lucky to have a good LBS, so need to support them.

juan
    Free Member

I am wondering what is a LBS ripp off? Paying more than internet price, well hardly a ripp off if you consider the service you get?
    But as said above nice to here a tale where people don’t slate his/hers lbs.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think I have to agree with Juan on this one, clearly there are going to be rip-off merchants out there. But in general I think they’ve done all the financial stuff and are chargeing enough to make a living.
    Whether they could be doing other things to attract custom is another question.
    How many Porsche owning, bike shop playboys/girls are there, out there?

mattsccm
    Free Member

No such thing as a rip off. If you don’t like the price, don’t buy. Easy!

fd3chris
    Free Member

I can explain a lbs rip off when mine is selling frame protection for more than the RRP .

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I can explain a lbs rip off when mine is selling frame protection for more than the RRP

The clue’s in the first ‘R’ Recommended.
    Doesn’t mean they have to sell it at or less than that figure.

As above, if you don’t like, don’t buy. Simples 😉

fd3chris
    Free Member

Doesn’t actually help sales though does it when even on the packaging it gives the rrp the manufactures have set the price at and it is a pound dearer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds fair, it’s a 5m job tops, ad adjustable spanner does it as well as many propriety tools.

mattsccm – Member
    No such thing as a rip off. If you don’t like the price, don’t buy. Easy!

inapplicable in this situation

trail_rat
    Free Member

At the end of the day id like to see the internet straighten your hanger with no intervention …

juan
    Free Member

trail rat you’re my hero for today

boltonjon

Good work – local LBS’s really are worth their weight in gold – you look after them and they’ll look after you

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘After tales of LBS rip offs, a positive one worth sharing.’ is closed to new replies.