Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • After GF’s tubeless issues, what compressor for home?
  • Marmite
    Free Member

Halfords have this,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_509553_langId_-1_categoryId_165727#dtab

Is this ok, or not up to it?

What out there that is up to the job is available, and needs to be cheap as this is likely to be pretty much the only use for it.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

CO2 cartridges

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d be inclined to get one with a small tank as well. Use mine for car tyres, bike tyres, blasting out rubbish from the hard to get bits of teh Dyson if it blocks and is very good at drying out chains once they’ve been cleaned.

It’s also good for inflating latex gloves until they burst, which keeps the kids amused

Marmite
    Free Member

There is Co2 but doesn’t that affect the sealant? Also an ongoing expense, though you could get a lot for the price of a compressor.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

CO2 will cause tyres to go down a bit faster as it is absorbed by the tyre walls and sealant

I use CO2 to seat the tyre and then let it down and pump it up with a track pump

gingerflash

I tried CO2. It was hopeless, big rush of air for maybe a second, then it’s all gone. you need constant airflow for maybe 10-15 seconds while you pat down the tyre, move it about etc.

The compressor you’ve linked to is exactly what I bought. It’s not fantastic but it worked.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

anyone bodged anything from a big innertube (tractor?) and a cheep pump?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

😆 😆

have you ever seen a tractor innertube with about more than 5 PSI in it?

GF – I manage to get a fairly consistent flow of air from a 16g cart

aracer
    Free Member

No, but I have from a lemonade bottle and a track pump. Reinforced with gaffer tape the bottle will take 100psi (probably more, but that’s as much as I’m risking), and is the approach I’d recommend for anybody who reckons they need a compressor for their tyres but doesn’t want to spend money.

I can give instructions, but must emphasise that you do it at your own risk, and I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong.

IWH
    Free Member

I still don’t understand the issues people seem to have getting these things to seal on the rim. I use (at most) a track pump and haven’t come across a tyre & rim combo that doesn’t work.

Very strange.

IWH
    Free Member

For the record that wasn’t me trying to be smug – I’m genuinely surprised that there are still problems that might require something so heavy duty as a compressor is all.

runswithscissors

Pumpy pumpI got one of these for half price (damaged box) from my local Machine Mart is excellent piece of kit for the workshop

aracer
    Free Member

Possibly you’ve been lucky, possibly you’ve got good technique. What I will say from personal experience is that I normally find a brand new tyre seats without problem, but an older one can cause more problems. I probably could have got any of my tyres to seat when using a proper kit / Stans rims, but the home-made compressor just makes it a bit easier – and was pretty much essential when I started off with DIY tubeless following Stan’s original instructions many, many years ago.

Marmite
    Free Member

I have had mixed experiences, hence think a compressor may be the way to go. Maxxis Crossmak and Advantage, no problem, no soap suds even required.

Maxxis Ignitor and Conti Mountain Kings, no chance with a track pump.

To be fair the Ignitor went up with a CO2 cartridge, maybe i’ll give them another go….

strike
    Free Member

Aracer – tell me more about your lemonade and track pump device?!

Marmite
    Free Member

Yes i’d be interested also, at my own risk obviously.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You need a decent blast of air – I doubt that will do.

You can get a “proper” compressor for £80 odd (aometimes aldi do them too)

aracer
    Free Member

You need a decent blast of air – I doubt that will do.

What, my lemonade bottle? On what do you base that assertion – presumably not any experience? You didn’t stop to think that maybe if I was mentioning it on here, and given my other comments about how long I’ve been running tubeless, that it might actually work quite well according to my experience? It might not be quite as good as a proper compressor, but it’s £75 cheaper, and has never failed to work where a track pump, even using all the tricks doesn’t.

For those interested in details, it’s not very complicated. Take a lemonade bottle. Wrap in gaffer tape to help take the pressure. Drill a valve sized hole in the middle of the bottom, cut an old valve from a tube (or use a proper tubeless valve if you’ve got one spare, but back in the day we used valves cut from tubes for tubeless conversions also), and install in the bottom using appropriate washers and a nut – some extra offcuts from tubes might help with the seal. Drill a hole in the cap, and use some means to attach a tube – alternatives are proper plubming fixings, or another valve without a core – though IIRC I’m actually using a camelbak tubing joint! Zip ties are a good idea to get the tube to take the pressure. The one significant expense is a plumbers valve which goes between the first section of tubing and a second, then you top off with a track pump chuck of some sort.

Pump bottle up to 100psi, put chuck on tubeless valve, open valve. Might help to remove the valve core from the tubeless valve for first seating – works better with a compressor like this than a track pump as there is no blowback. Do remember to follow the normal procedure with soapy water etc.

I’ll try and take some piccys tonight.

Oh, and as I said before, no sueing me!

gingerflash

100psi in a plastic bottle? No wonder you’re disclaiming any liability for it all going catastrophically wrong! 😯

gingerflash

It’s a similar output to the Halfords one, though obviously Halfords one is 240V and that one is 12V.

aracer
    Free Member

A reinforced plastic bottle. Wouldn’t like to claim it’s 100% safe, but my assessment is it isn’t going to go catastrophically – anyway people put that sort of pressure into a rubber tube!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘After GF’s tubeless issues, what compressor for home?’ is closed to new replies.