Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • After 18yrs of HT riding….
  • soulwood
    Free Member

I finally move to the idea that FS is actually quite good. Very good in fact, far better than I thought it would be. Earlier this year I built up a very nice Niner MCR with rigid forks and a 2X9 setup. It was too close to the ride from my Soul with 100mm forks, so decided it was time to upgrade to FS. After some searching, to find a frame to run with a 100mm fork, I happened across a Nicolai Helius CC, on special offer direct from the distributors. An offer I couldn't refuse. So after some serious wife badgering, I have it and it has been tested in the Peaks a couple of times. In a word it is amazing! It climbs better than my Soul did, and as for descending, all of a sudden the corners arrive a hell of a lot faster than before!
    So after a couple of hours climbing and descending today in the Peaks, I noticed significantly less arm pump and no aching back.
    So as a result a 6 year old large Soul in matt black is now for sale, in the classifieds.
    Pictures here
    http://www3.snapfish.co.uk/snapfishuk/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=5521140010/a=3388583010_3388583010/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfishuk/

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry can't open the album – look nice in low res though 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

Tiny image not clickable; I can see its a white frame.

After 18yrs of HT riding….

You've become a wuss!! 😆

soulwood
    Free Member

I don't understand why the album won't open, I have clicked it to share from these kind of sites. I have absolutely no idea how to post an image directly into the thread, don't know why it has to be so hard.

molgrips
    Free Member

Glad to see you are trying the new technology 🙂 FS is good. Esp when its in the form of a Nicolai.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Now now Milkie.

soulwood
    Free Member

molgrips, agree totally. I was on the brink of buying FS a year or so ago, but then everything went all bent and wonky (hydroforming) which I cannot abide the look of. I'm not saying they are ugly as there are some damn nice bikes out there and it seems the Giant models use the technique to place the shock, but maybe its the old school HT habit, but tubes are meant to be round and go in straight lines!! (similar attitude to Mints are supposed to be rock 'ard!, if anyone is old enough to remember that advert) I know the back is square section, but I'll let it off as it is in a straight line.

soulwood
    Free Member

Milkie, I guess I have become a wuss, but like I said, hardly any arm pump! Maybe its just like Danny Glover says in Lethal Weapon 1,2,3 etc, sometimes I feel "I'm getting too old for this s**t"

soulwood
    Free Member

Still trying to post an image with no luck..

soulwood
    Free Member

soulwood
    Free Member

Wahey! Another new fangled bit of technology figured out!

molgrips
    Free Member

Very nice indeed. What forks are those?

soulwood
    Free Member

After a good testing session in the Peaks

soulwood
    Free Member

Hmmm, didn't work that time. Molgrips, Menja 100mm. I have recently had them serviced and the guys at Magura replaced the damper cartridge under warranty and used a different weight oil. When they came back they felt even better! This is why I was reluctant to get rid of them (that and the small problem of money)

soulwood
    Free Member

soulwood
    Free Member

There you go, figured it out. Note the interested chicken in the background.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd have thought 100mm was short for that bike but it looks ok in the pics.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks good! These are the only kind of FS frame I like the look of I think – almost like a hardtail but with bounce on the back 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

It's not almost a hardtail.. 120mm travel I think.

_tom_
    Free Member

I mean the design, to me it looks more like a traditional hardtail frame than a lot of ugly curvy full sussers!

soulwood
    Free Member

The travel options on the rear of the CC start at 82mm, the top bolt hole being 129mm. This is why they make the AM, with more travel options. I like the idea of possibly extending the travel of the Menja and just moving the bolt hole to match. But not only but also, the frame looks fantastic, like a "real" bike, which is probably how Nicolai can guarantee it for 5 years, even if you race. They do say on their website that the strongest line between two points is a straight one.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nice to see you made an excellent choice on the FS frame, I've had my Nic' for 18 months now, it seems to spend most of it's time at 116mm setting with 130mm up front.

It's miles quicler like that, which is nice

Edric64
    Free Member

After 26 years of riding hardtail and rigid I still can't afford a fs or to replace bearings and!! bushes all the time

soulwood
    Free Member

Edric, I know what you mean. I have built up a very standard spec on this bike, LX cranks, XT hubs and SLX brakes with Menja forks. I picked this frame up at a really good price direct from the UK distributors, so much that it was cheaper than buying their budget frame. The bearings are guaranteed for 5 years, so I hope (in a way) that if they wear out they do it within 5 years. Basically I had a choice, buy a reasonable priced replacement second car, or buy this and get a cheap as chips old Skoda. The fun had on this will certainly make up for driving the Skoda…

Edric64
    Free Member

I to would spend the money on a bike and drive a cheap car

steve_b77
    Free Member

Edric,

Bit cynical that, a lot of frames especially the likes of Nicolai have fully serviceable bearings and require very little replacement over time.

Mike
    Free Member

There's only 2 bearings in those frames! Very nice btw 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Soulwood, that is a fabulous bike and you really did get a bargain, pretty much you paid cost price for it! I know you don't need to be reminded but this thing is handbuilt, by guys who spend five years training to be welders for Nicolai, even if they have previous experience. The thing is better aligned than a pair of train tracks and the bearings won't need any serious attention for years.

I've had two Nicolais and currently ride the AM (simply because I'm a fat b'stard and the AC/CC would probably not survive my 'Ton' like mass).

The only thing I would suggest is that, once you spent some time on the bike, seriously think about replacing the air damper. Those DT swiss cans are utter shite although they do weigh the square root of **** all. They have zero compression damping so you end up having to run a whole lot more pressure to get the thing to sit properly in its travel at which point the spring rate ends up being too high.

You're not going to notice that for a while though because you'll need to adjust your riding to suit having suspension and it's going to feel amazing to begin with. After time though, if something is niggling you about the bike, if it doesn't feel quite right and you can't put your finger on why, then the shock will be the reason.

Have fun and get yourself over to the MTBR Nicolai forum and introduce yourself.

molgrips
    Free Member

They do say on their website that the strongest line between two points is a straight one

That's just marketing speak to satisfy people who ask why it's not hydroformed. Tubes never break in the middle unless you **** the thing into a tree or something. Cracks appear at the joins, where it doesn't make any difference if it's hydroformed.

Don't knock it 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Isn't the whole hydroforming thing though all about shape of the tube for things like standover and fork clearance rather than anything to do with strength? I think that's the point you're making Molgrips?

Edric64
    Free Member

Which is great but I see see people spending a fortune on various pivot points every year which I can't afford .If the bearings are standard and available anywhere such as industrial bearing suppliers that would be good

geetee1972
    Free Member

Edric, you know I think they are. I don't think a lot of manufacturers use anything other than standard cartridge bearings you can buy from any mainstream supplier to the eningeering industry.

Inzane
    Free Member

yeh, full suss are good especially after a long time on a hardtail… but I find it does depend a bit on the trails. There are some trails I love my 5 Spot for, and others where the 5 spot is overkill and my TransAM SS hardtail is perfect for.

I dont think you can ever have too many bikes 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘After 18yrs of HT riding….’ is closed to new replies.