Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Africa Twin
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Up there with the Audi Quattro. As a kid I always wanted one of these. Then I test rode a 2010 model and was a bit annoyed by it.

The new one is coming out soon. I’ve fallen back in love again.

93bhp compared to 49bhp of my NC700. I love that its now a parallell twin, but I cant find anything about it’s mpg. It would be a shame if it comes up with a rubbish 35-45mpg when the NC can do over 75mpg comfortably.

pedropete

I’m looking forward to seeing these. Any news on price yet/release date? Might be time to part-ex the sprint…

Stoner
    Free Member

I got an email from my LHBS offering pre-orders. For £500. But no mention of when or at what price! Cheeky bastards!

mattsccm
    Free Member

They do look rather complicated to me but so do many new bikes.
    Thing is I am a Rotax CCM chap so steam rollers look complicated in comparison.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yeah, why are Honda UK dragging their heels on pricing. Europe has declared, the US has declared why not here? Reckon they are trying decide just how high they can price it and still sell a shit load (Honda, look at the latest V-Strom, over egg it and it’ll stiff. Price it keen, like the Tracer, and it’ll fly off the floors!).

Things that bother me (other than I have a 6 month old V-Strom only half paid for) are:

Tubed tyres
    Spoked wheels
    Tank size
    Price???

It looks ace though. If it was this time last year I’d be very, very keen/excited.

Stoner
    Free Member

5 gallon tank itself wouldnt be a problem if they can get 60+mpg from the same style of engine as the NC range. I can get between 200 and 250 miles out of a tank on mine. And that’s just 14litres.

Id like them to put that 1000 into something more tourer-ry though really.

footflaps

Very heavy at 228kg for an off-road bike, wouldn’t want to have to pick it up….

SaxonRider

I have been particularly interested in motorised two wheeled vehicles, but I think I am now!

That said, I am surprised at the figures you are quoting on fuel economy, Stoner. I would have thought that 60+ mpg was pretty standard.

footflaps

I would have thought that 60+ mpg was pretty standard.

It’s a lot bigger and heavier than the old 750 version. I’d expect mpg to take a hit for that.

Stoner
    Free Member

60+mpg is v v rare.

Bike manufacturers have never given a rats arse about mpg in the past.

metalheart
    Free Member

I can get regularly 53-55 mpg (well that’s what the display says) on my Veek2 on back roads not riding, er, conservatively (not balls out neither) and that’s hitting 200 miles (~18+ litres refill). My 650 would hit 240 for the tank (same size I think).

For an adventure bike I’d like to be able to get 250 to a tank. Sometimes I have to fill up three times in a day 😯

iamtheresurrection

It’s still 4-5 months away so I don’t think it’s a surprise they haven’t finalised the price yet, there’s a lot can happen.

I’m hoping for less that £11k, around £10,700 would be awesome. I want one too. 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

On the mega ADVrider thread they seem to reckon on near 12k (based on other bikes prices for comparison).

I was at the local motorcycle convention the other week and the local dealer said it would be priced similar to the Crosstourer in price. The list starts at over £12k….

Just sayin. 🙁

FOG

I have had a Mk 1 and a Mk2 in the past which were great bikes but no where near the power of this new one . The only thing the old and the new seemto share is the name. I used to ride both off road mainly abroad but sometimes in this country but only when dry!
    I would be in the queue but after a major crash a few years ago the woman-in-charge has banned me from motor bikes.

metalheart
    Free Member

I think just sub £10k would generate the right buzz.

What’s the Super Ten at, £12k-ish and that’s shaft drive. The Veek2 is now just over £9k, Tiger XCx is £10k.. Aren’t the KTMs £12k+?

fasthaggis

That looks the biz,and not as much of a tank as the old one .
    I always prefered the XTZ and Teneres of that era.

fasthaggis

Met up with some old biker mates that I hadn’t seen in a while and a few of them really rated the Tigers.

iamtheresurrection

I still reckon about £11k is a decent shout, I’m sticking to it 😉

It won’t be as much as a Crosstourer in my opinion, a parallel twin versus a V4 cannot be the same production costs (I’m not suggesting that’s the only factor, but the Crosstourer is a different bike all together price-wise).

The Euro price suggested of around €9k is the basic, non-ABS and non-traction which I don’t think the UK will bring in. Whether that’s a good thing or not, I reckon the comic would (wrongly) deem a bike worthless if it’s released without the electronics. It’s a good guide to a likely price though.

metalheart
    Free Member

Don’t understand the euro non abs price as they will be illegal in the EU in 2016….

Yeah, dealer could’ve been talking out his arse (it wouldn’t surprise me!). Isn’t the Crosstourer shaft as well?

The problem with Tigers is that Triumph have locked down the servicing, you need special tools and the valve check (12k?) services are reputed to be circa £800! And you’re stuck with triumph dealers who have, er, a certain reputation Plus welded sub frame has posed some problems. And the sus goes fut after three years… Apart from that they’re ace 😉

iamtheresurrection

I genuinely don’t think the dealers have been told anything on pricing, so everyone’s just speculating.

The non-ABS bike will be legal until 2017 if they’ve got the bike released early enough (albeit just), but that’s probably why the UK won’t see any. If it’s appearing anywhere in Europe, I can only assume they are trying to hit a price point. A bit pointless doing that in my opinion.

There’s a nice clip on YouTube of Marquez ragging around on one. I imagine his comes with a ladder…

charliemort

Heavier, more expensive, less power, probably worse suspension that ktm 950 / 990 adventures (now discontinued)

Apart From that it’s alright

FuzzyWuzzy

Where do you actually use something like that though (besides on Paris-Dakkar)? The reason I ask is my neighbour has a big scrambler type thing like that (sorry I know next to nothing about motorbikes :p ) and he commutes on it but isn’t it the same with cycling in that knobbly tyres are less grip on the road than slicks (or as close to slick as you’re allowed on motorbikes)?
    Oh and while I’m at it, do you really need to leave bikes idling for 5 minutes before you ride them, winds me up every morning!

konabunny
    Free Member

Very heavy at 228kg for an off-road bike, wouldn’t want to have to pick it up….

Jesus! I’m not sure I’d be able to right it on a hard surface let alone a muddy track!

shifter
    Free Member

What the funk’s a Veek?!

metalheart
    Free Member

What the funk’s a Veek?!

Sorry, it’s short form for the ’14+ Suzuki V-Strom DL1000. Original was affectionately known as a Vee. It acquired a beak during its upgrade and is now (un)affectionately known as a Veek (or Vee2). The original smaller sibling is known as a Wee… 😀

footflaps

They don’t need to price it cheap, BMW normally have a waiting list for the GSers and they’re more expensive, so they only need to come in slightly under.

Although having owned both a Honda and a GS, BMW build quality is shite compared with Honda.

iamtheresurrection

The KTM 990 Adventure is one of my all time, favourite bikes. I remember the first time I rode one thinking almost immediately it just felt ‘right’.

The Africa Twin is actually a bit lighter than that, not heavier Charlie (by only 1kg, but still), despite conforming to later Euro specs (exhaust especially).

metalheart
    Free Member

For those struggling to pick up a 230kg bike, how’s about a ~350kg one, eh?

[video]http://youtu.be/c6HTs9x3xBE[/video]

metalheart
    Free Member

They don’t need to price it cheap, BMW normally have a waiting list for the GSers and they’re more expensive, so they only need to come in slightly under.

GS is a beast of a bike, electronic aides coming out its arse, shaft drive and is considered the premium ‘ADV’ brand (especially by Ewan & Charlie wannabes…). It out sells other brands by a country mile. Suzuki priced a not dissimilar bike to the AT at £10k in ’14 and it stiffed, big style. ETA: the Yam S10 also suffered badly despite being 1200 shaft drive at £13k+ when originally released. In ’14 they were giving the ’13 away at £9k!

Although having owned both a Honda and a GS, BMW build quality is shite compared with Honda.

Yes. But Harley’s are pretty shoddy too. Segment leader in the Cruiser category. Just like BM.

Both brands are trying to sell Lifestyle (TM). Honda sells bikes…. amongst other things, obv.

shifter
    Free Member

Thanks for enlightening me Metalheart : )

charliemort

The Africa Twin is actually a bit lighter than that, not heavier Charlie (by only 1kg, but still), despite conforming to later Euro specs (exhaust especially).

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ktm/ktm_990_adventure%2006.htm

according to this KTM 990 is 209kg dry so quite a lot lighter. The 950 was a bit lighter than that as no abs

metalheart
    Free Member

Sorry Charlie, the AT is 208 kg dry. The kerb weight is 232 (with ABS), 228 ‘standard’.

See here:

http://hondanews.eu/gb/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/58771/the-new-16ym-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin

iamtheresurrection

Well that saved me typing, cheers MH. 😉

Here’s the Marquez link instead, admittedly he could probably ride a Cub offroad quicker than me…

http://youtu.be/dOed6Osrj4E

charliemort

I stand corrected – I saw 228kg quoted above and thought that was dry

epicyclo

I’ve always loved the look of those adventure bikes, real manly. 🙂

But I also have wondered who has the cojones to use all that power and suspension 100 miles from anywhere, ie real adventure country.

When I lived in Oz I’d often see these monster bikes mincing along on dirt roads, which made passing them on my Electra Glide a wee bit embarrassing.

When I did real back of beyond riding it mostly was on a bog standard BMW airhead road bike.

However the big Jap singles are really the proper weapon to use if you’re serious.

But still, stuff like the Africa Twin looks the ducks nuts. 🙂

Edit: This is the guy I’d go to if I want a bike to do the Oz deserts.

A slideshow.

anagallis_arvensis

Ccm gp450 for me please.

metalheart
    Free Member

@stoner: Hondas official blurb (linked earlier) states:

A large18.8-litre fuel tank – coupled with the engine’s fuel efficiency – provides a range of up to 400km.

However I’d see that translate as 200+ miles *normal riding* range, pretty much the same as my Veek.

Stoner
    Free Member

400km from 18.8L = 4.7L/100km = 60mpg.

I is disappoint. 🙁

Because we know that means 45mpg in normal use. And that’s a bit crap. I dont know the ins and outs, but I wonder what contributes the most to the NC 75+mpg. Weight? Power limits? cc?

Xylene
    Free Member

What you want is a CR500 with some lights fitted to it.

AT – told the local price here is 550,000THB – so around 9kGBP

metalheart
    Free Member

Stoner, I don’t think it’ll be quite as bad as that, esp if you’re used to the NC (ride it like the NC and you should see 60mpg 😆 ).

As previously stated, I’m getting 50-55 on my DL1000 on mixed and country roads (it drops off if blasting down at motorway cruising speeds). Some people report 250 miles on a tank but I’ve only ever managed just over 200 with single figures on the mileage countdown gauge.

I think the NC has such good mpg as it doesn’t rev high. If I completely fannyed my DL650 I could get 70 mpg. No fun though….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Africa Twin’ is closed to new replies.