Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Afan – which trail to ride if you can only do one?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

We should be having a weekend there with a Saturday afternoon ride there in a few weeks but will only have time for 1 trail a Afan.

If I like GT, Inneleithen, Morzine / Les Gets, the peaks and most of North Wales like Penmachno and the Marin (not Llandegla though),or generally fast flowing singletrack, swoopy sort of trails rather than just technical which trail at Afan would suit me?

matthew_h
    Free Member

My choice would be White's Level.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'd say either Whites or July. Both share the same (strangely enjoyable) climb, then a choice of two great, really great downhills.

Penhydd is a little more swoopy, but I think that Whites and July offer the better all round trail experience.

Wookster

whites level mate!!!!

guido

whites

forge197
    Free Member

whites

backhander
    Free Member

Could you fit W2 in? If you can, do. If you can kick the arse out of it, fit Penhydd in the middle! it's a real scream.
    Sorry CFH, theres no way I would waste the time on July/skyline. Climbing on forest roads is bad enough, but descending? that just upsets me. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

July is the Skyline shortcut that takes in all the goodness, without all that fireroad!

Colin-T

Ride Whites and then if time, back up the climb, cut right and pick up the final Skyline descent (Jetlag) 😀

zbonty

Prefer the 'Twitch' trail down the road at Cwmcarn to all of the above personally

Amos
    Free Member

2nd Colin-T you need to do jetlag!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Whites

Skyline (July) is partially closed ATM.

Keva
    Free Member

How much time have you got and how quick can you ride ?

If you have three hours and can average 9-10mph you should be able to do Whites then Penhydd end to end.

Kev

IdleJon

Colin-T – Member
    Ride Whites and then if time, back up the climb, cut right and pick up the final Skyline descent (Jetlag)

I'd vote for that as well although given the time I'd climb all the way up the Whites climb and do the last Skyline descent in full (Deadwood and then Jetlag?).

Another possibility – ride Penhydd and then cut straight across the valley under the main road and across the river past the picnic area, climb up using the main fire road and it pops you out at the top of the final Wall downhill section. The best bit!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

zbonty we're at TWITCH trail on the Sunday, uplifting. 😀

Philby

Penhydd would be my choice – more varied than the others.

stumpyjon

White's for best all round fun, Penhydd is good though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Afan – which trail to ride if you can only do one?’ is closed to new replies.