Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Afan Skyline trail?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I just looked on the Afan site about Skyline, but am confused about whether you can still ride it. Was planning on heading up and riding W2 tomorrow and Skyline Friday am.

Anyone been recently and can comment?

Twodogs

I could be wrong but didn’t think you could ride the whole thing but you can tack bits of the old Skyline on to Blade to extend it to about 40km

flanagaj
    Free Member

but you can tack bits of the old Skyline on to Blade to extend it to about 40km

That is what I am after. Just the ability to ride a decent length ride. Thanks

Twodogs

The extra bits are signposted Skyline Loop and show on the map on website and at car park

Nipper99
    Free Member

The old far sections are still there, Excalibur etc. Rode them a few weeks ago as are all the sections back to the point that you hit the main fire road back down to GC albeit going back to nature a little (Excalibur was still ace though almost feels natural now).

flanagaj
    Free Member

On a related issue, last time I did Skyline I managed to get lost. I can never seem to find up to date GPX routes that you can download?

flanagaj
    Free Member

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Believe that some of Skyline is now not used due to work still going on with wind farms and the like. It will be back at some point. According to Afan Lodge, we stayed at last week.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Believe that some of Skyline is now not used due to work still going on with wind farms and the like. It will be back at some point. According to Afan Lodge, we stayed at last week.

I have read that you can link the Blade and part of Skyline. Shame, as it was the climbing part I was looking forward too

fibre
    Free Member

I rode Afan for the first time the weekend just gone, the route we did sounds like the one you’re after…. http://www.strava.com/segments/7333220

The Skyline trail was empty, we had it all to ourselves, which was nice 🙂

philwarren11
    Free Member

All the old skyline is still there, some bits are overgrown and it has some trees down but all passable.

Bits to watch out for: Tree down on grand canyon, can climb over, end of grand canyon is pretty overgrown with conifers, just turn down onto the fire road after the rock garden. The rest is a bit overgrown, South pit start, excalibar parts, handy andy, fast forward is running alright tho and grenada has had some work done to it lately. If you want any routes let me know.

The way i would ride it:

Blade to the end of hokey kokey, turn up the fire road to grenada. Ride skyline top loop, riding high, on the edge, jump the fence at the end of on the edge, down the airstrips fire road then make the decision to either do south loop which is straight on, or turn right at the windfarm site and do handy andy, grand canyon and fast forward which will finish by the end of hokey kokey, then continue on with blade. If anyone wants the route ill map it out.

philwarren11
    Free Member

In fact, ive mapped it out. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8208339

Mile 15.5 is the decision time to either carry on or cut it short by 6.5 miles.

Trimix
    Free Member

I did Blade + Skyline last weekend. All well signposted, you would have to be a numpty to get lost. Print out a trail map if you think you may be a numpty.

We were the only ones on the trail and stopped for a picnic 🙂

It adds some nice distance and you get to enjoy the techy climb of Blade and of course finish on the techy decent of Blade. Brilliant start to the day.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Afan Skyline trail?’ is closed to new replies.